** Good luck all those doing exams today / this week! ** (Questions, comments, tips, etc)

49 replies
Found 13th May 2008
Good luck all! Maybe tell us what exam you are doing and a quick report afterwards on how it went? Or other general comments to help you let off a bit of nervous energy.

Some quick tips for essay questions from me (I mark them!): stay calm and read the WHOLE paper first; make a quick plan for each question you'll be answering BEFORE starting to answer the first (this will bring out ideas and help prevent overlap); remember that two or three main points argued well is generally better than producing a "all I know about the topic" answer; show that you are able to THINK ABOUT the topic and make your argument/stance clear from the beginning and support it throughout - refer back to it too, a least in the conclusion but preferably in different ways throughout.

[ Will add more tips to post # 4 as we go along if we think of any good ones ]

More tips from others about revising, writing answers, how to remain calm, etc, etc?

GOOD LUCK!

49 Comments

Banned

seconded

good luck everyone!:thumbsup:

Yep, good luck to all of you, thinking of you, my daughter is sitting her GCSEs written ones starting tomorrow.

Original Poster

[ These points refer to University exams, not secondary ]

* Remember that your teachers/lecturers aren't particularly smart. They've just had more academic practice than you.
* When marking essays, lecturers get the "same old, same old" fatigue pretty quickly. Make your essay stand out by not elaborating on things you know all your classmates will do too. Refer to them yes, but briefly, and in a manner that shows you think of them as common knowledge. Save your words for the ideas less talked about, the points you have found in your individual reading, and for developing your argument / stating your case. Again, it's how you deal with the ideas that we are looking for - anyone can learn a list of 'facts', a good answer does something with them!
* Lecturers are also looking for how well you use the academic conventions. These conventions (referencing sources, hedging claims, using moderate but precise language, etc) are not just part of a 'game' - they demonstate your commitment to the discussion of ideas in a fair but critical manner. They also show your respect for knowledge and learning. So maybe think about how and why you use them a bit more as part of your revision (as well as using them of course!)?

Good tips Liddle ol' me

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4033/goodluckze1.jpg

[CENTER][SIZE=5][COLOR=darkorchid]GOOD LUCK EVERYONE - RELAX & STAY CALM[/COLOR][/SIZE]
http://photo.net/general-comments/attachment/5563843/00good_luck_l.jpg[/CENTER]

Banned

Don't Panic

for all those old enough to drink, bring your preferred alcoholic beverage to your exam with you. once you exam is completed open you drink and neck it, great to either celebrate an exam which went well, equally good to drown your sorrows.

On a more serious note, just keep calm I've seen loads of really clever people falter in exams simply because of the pressure, just remember that exams aren't the be all and end all (is that a real phrase?).

I used to relax myself by continuing to think to myself - "I CAN ONLY DO MY BEST"
Worked wonders for my nerves!!

all the very best!

guerilla;2086513

for all those old enough to drink, bring your preferred alcoholic … for all those old enough to drink, bring your preferred alcoholic beverage to your exam with you. once you exam is completed open you drink and neck it, great to either celebrate an exam which went well, equally good to drown your sorrows.

My first exam is on thursday, and have 13 altogether, with last on 18th june, so looks like i need to buy a crate

i do believe they are on offer in asda

Cheers, off to Uni now!!!!!

Gotta revise, not bad as its open book and on a case study which we already got before hand!!

Original Poster

Good luck Naeem - tell us how it went when you get back :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:good luck all you guys - take it easy

Original Poster

Some points added onto post # 4:

* Remember that your teachers/lecturers aren't particularly smart. They've just had more academic practice than you.
* When marking essays, lecturers get the "same old, same old" fatigue pretty quickly. Make your essay stand out by not elaborating on things you know all your classmates will do too. Refer to them yes, but briefly, and in a manner that shows you think of them as common knowledge. Save your words for the ideas less talked about, the points you have found in your individual reading, and for developing your argument / stating your case. Again, it's how you deal with the ideas that we are looking for - anyone can learn a list of 'facts', a good answer does something with them!
* Lecturers are also looking for how well you use the academic conventions. These conventions (referencing sources, hedging claims, using moderate but precise language, etc) are not just part of a 'game' - they demonstate your commitment to the discussion of ideas in a fair but critical manner. They also show your respect for knowledge and learning. So maybe think about how and why you use them a bit more as part of your revision (as well as using them of course!)?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Good luck to you all :thumbsup:

yeah good luck everyone

Liddle O me, what type of paper do you mark? GCSE?A LEVEL?

Original Poster

black gerbil1;2087067

Liddle O me, what type of paper do you mark? GCSE?A LEVEL?

Undergraduate, but none this year thankfully - well except for summer school papers in Sept.

Liddle ol' me;2087087

Undergraduate, but none this year thankfully - well except for summer … Undergraduate, but none this year thankfully - well except for summer school papers in Sept.

im on a undergraduate degree, lets hope none of my papers make there way to your doorstep:p

Original Poster

black gerbil1;2087106

im on a undergraduate degree, lets hope none of my papers make there way … im on a undergraduate degree, lets hope none of my papers make there way to your doorstep:p

sign them all black gerbil1 just in case. If I come across one I'll quote some examples of good and bad writing from your paper on here

Liddle ol' me;2087120

sign them all black gerbil1 just in case. If I come across one I'll quote … sign them all black gerbil1 just in case. If I come across one I'll quote some examples of good and bad writing from your paper on here

lol @ the bit in bold:-D, I write well.

Original Poster

black gerbil1;2087106

im on a undergraduate degree, lets hope none of my papers make there way … im on a undergraduate degree, lets hope none of my papers make there way to your doorstep:p

Liddle ol' me;2087120

sign them all black gerbil1 just in case. If I come across one I'll quote … sign them all black gerbil1 just in case. If I come across one I'll quote some examples of good and bad writing from your paper on here

black gerbil1;2087142

lol @ the bit in bold:-D, I write well.

lol - look at the bit I've bolded and underlined No marks off for spelling errors though - the big ideas are much more important!

[SIZE="6"][COLOR="Magenta"]Good luck xxx[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Liddle ol' me;2087169

lol - look at the bit I've bolded and underlined No marks off for … lol - look at the bit I've bolded and underlined No marks off for spelling errors though - the big ideas are much more important!

touché, until we meet again. :thinking:

Banned

Naeem786;2086647

Cheers, off to Uni now!!!!!Gotta revise, not bad as its open book and on … Cheers, off to Uni now!!!!!Gotta revise, not bad as its open book and on a case study which we already got before hand!!Thanks :thumbsup:

I had my first yesterday, was an open book on the computer, went really well :).

Tomorrow got my next module.. Gonna be challenging but with some questions that i do today, should be okay

I got my AS Levels to do with ICT first this friday and then goegraphy next tuesday. I got so many case studies learn for geography

Original Poster

jizzm;2087196

I had my first yesterday, was an open book on the computer, went really … I had my first yesterday, was an open book on the computer, went really well :).Tomorrow got my next module.. Gonna be challenging but with some questions that i do today, should be okay

manzi;2087341

I got my AS Levels to do with ICT first this friday and then goegraphy … I got my AS Levels to do with ICT first this friday and then goegraphy next tuesday. I got so many case studies learn for geography

I'm sure you'll both do well. Maybe stay off here as much as poss and keep time for relaxed revision and long walks to let the info sink in after reading..? :thumbsup:

its my first year at uni, and to be honest, its quite easy, I can see why people say the first year is a "doss" year.

I expect the 2nd year to be a lot harder though

manzi;2087341

I got my AS Levels to do with ICT first this friday and then goegraphy … I got my AS Levels to do with ICT first this friday and then goegraphy next tuesday. I got so many case studies learn for geography

that isn't a Coasts/Rivers Geog exam by any chance is it next tues??

lol it is. How many case studies are you learning for it?

not sure yet, as my maths exam on thurs is taking priority atm, and im in yr13 doing A2, just retaking it from last year, but i do seem to remember a lot of case studies. we did lots for Dorset coastline, norfolk coast, the river exe, mississippi, colorado drainage basin, florida everglades, plus lots more which i now realise i should look through.
Good Luck!

good luck to you, I havent revised anything for my goegraphy exam lol

Banned

2 down 2 to go, exam today went really well, the questions i wanted came up

I have 13 AS exams, done 1, and i have two tomorrow. Then, I have 10 in the space of 3 days. Wednesday 4th June, 3 Chemistry exams and 3 Latin exams in one day. Its going to be awful!

im starting my finals on fri - tax, auditing and managment accounting.

about 75% prepared for tax, ie i know how to do the maths questions its the essay question im really worried about as my examples are non existant for the difference between tax avoidance and evasion, and for adam smiths cannons and also merits of tax on wealth, income and expenditure. (i hope these are the only ones that can come up or im in big trouble)

black gerbil1;2087687

its my first year at uni, and to be honest, its quite easy, I can see why … its my first year at uni, and to be honest, its quite easy, I can see why people say the first year is a "doss" year.I expect the 2nd year to be a lot harder though

mate its such a doss year just enjoy it get 40% and love it just sunbathe and drink as the next 2 years are hard.

best advice i can give you, do well in your second year as it will help your 3rd

ScarboroughKID;2095671

I have 13 AS exams, done 1, and i have two tomorrow. Then, I have 10 in … I have 13 AS exams, done 1, and i have two tomorrow. Then, I have 10 in the space of 3 days. Wednesday 4th June, 3 Chemistry exams and 3 Latin exams in one day. Its going to be awful!

13! i think i had 3 as exams when i did mine

REDRANGER86;2095776

13! i think i had 3 as exams when i did mine

Yeah, I have 3 for each AS, except my 5th, which I just have 1 for.:x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet2459
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604812
    3. South Park: The Fractured Butt Hole Preorders - Ubisoft Store (Free Season …46
    4. Add one, leave one game54415441

See more discussions