Good mobile WiFi options

Posted 17th Apr
in temp accommodation until lock down ends

have 75gb data left this month but next month goes back to 25gb

in case 25 is not enough can anyone recommend a home mobile WiFi options - with a router etc?

I may try upgrading my plan for a month if Virgin allow me to downgrade back later
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
What is your reception like for the various phone networks - this will dictate your options. Three do unlimited, with router for around £19 a month. With Alexa for another couple of quid.
Voxi (Vodafone) £10/m unlimited everything. No credit check; no contract (sadly). Use as hotspot via virtually any old Android handset optionally coupled to standard dual wifi / gigabit ethernet etc router, example MO at hotukdeals.com/com…674
Voxi markets the £10 unlim option as 6GB but is effectively unmetered for all data, regardless of type. Will continue this way until Voxi graduates counting college and all the colleges are shut.
AndyRoyd17/04/2020 13:48

Voxi (Vodafone) £10/m unlimited everything. No credit check; no contract …Voxi (Vodafone) £10/m unlimited everything. No credit check; no contract (sadly). Use as hotspot via virtually any old Android handset optionally coupled to standard dual wifi / gigabit ethernet etc router, example MO at https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/37786674Voxi markets the £10 unlim option as 6GB but is effectively unmetered for all data, regardless of type. Will continue this way until Voxi graduates counting college and all the colleges are shut.

Where do you see unltd data? It shows 6gb for a tenner and the only data heavy stuff I use is YT or Netflix which aren't endless

Also do you know if Virgin mobile will allow me to go up to 100gb plan then back down to 25gb after a month?
Ringfinger17/04/2020 13:37

What is your reception like for the various phone networks - this will …What is your reception like for the various phone networks - this will dictate your options. Three do unlimited, with router for around £19 a month. With Alexa for another couple of quid.

Three is literally the worst network in the UK
trojanh17/04/2020 14:17

Where do you see unltd data? It shows 6gb for a tenner and the only data …Where do you see unltd data? It shows 6gb for a tenner and the only data heavy stuff I use is YT or Netflix which aren't endless Also do you know if Virgin mobile will allow me to go up to 100gb plan then back down to 25gb after a month?

Repeat: Voxi markets the £10 unlim option as 6GB but is effectively unmetered for all data, regardless of type. Will continue this way until Voxi graduates counting college and all the colleges are shut.
Recent discussion at hotukdeals.com/dis…060
trojanh17/04/2020 14:18

Not round here. Vodafone are worst here. Thay is why I asked OP, it's a regional thing and can vary from street to street.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 17th Apr
trojanh17/04/2020 14:18

Not worst round here as well
AndyRoyd17/04/2020 14:20

Repeat: Voxi markets the £10 unlim option as 6GB but is effectively …Repeat: Voxi markets the £10 unlim option as 6GB but is effectively unmetered for all data, regardless of type. Will continue this way until Voxi graduates counting college and all the colleges are shut.Recent discussion at https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/voxi-3428060

Sorry I think this is a bug? But I will buy the Voxi sim to test anyway as I have got a new iPhone and can use the old one to hotspot. Can you explain what you mean about the graduates and college? Do you mean it will return to limits back when colleges are open?

Is there any official link stating this is meant to happen - as this is a new order it may get treated differently.

Any referrals for vOXI we can benefit from
trojanh18/04/2020 16:00

Sorry I think this is a bug?... Can you explain what you mean about the …Sorry I think this is a bug?... Can you explain what you mean about the graduates and college? Do you mean it will return to limits back when colleges are open?

No bug. It's formally unlimited everything until Voxi implements a functional metering system (learns how to count). Voxi made this statement to its customers via text msg late summer 2019:
"Hi, we're making some technical updates to our plans so to make sure you're not impacted, we've temporarily switched you over to completely unlimited data. To make sure your unlimited data is activated, just restart your device. We'll text you to let you know when everything is back to normal. Thanks, VOXI."
AndyRoyd18/04/2020 16:22

No bug. It's formally unlimited everything until Voxi implements a …No bug. It's formally unlimited everything until Voxi implements a functional metering system (learns how to count). Voxi made this statement to its customers via text msg late summer 2019:"Hi, we're making some technical updates to our plans so to make sure you're not impacted, we've temporarily switched you over to completely unlimited data. To make sure your unlimited data is activated, just restart your device. We'll text you to let you know when everything is back to normal. Thanks, VOXI."

Can’t believe there’s been unlimited data for over a year and I only find out now!!!

Do you know if there is any live links on their site? How quick do they post out sims? How do you find their speeds? I get 80 meg with virgin mobile which is extremely quick, even tho it’s the slower of EE services

Also can I ask about mobile WiFi router suggestions? I feel like my old 6S Plus will burn out if I
Keep it in charge and hotspot for 8 hours a day
Edited by: "trojanh" 18th Apr
trojanh18/04/2020 17:31

Can’t believe there’s been unlimited data for over a year and I only find o …Can’t believe there’s been unlimited data for over a year and I only find out now!!!Do you know if there is any live links on their site? How quick do they post out sims? How do you find their speeds? I get 80 meg with virgin mobile which is extremely quick, even tho it’s the slower of EE servicesAlso can I ask about mobile WiFi router suggestions? I feel like my old 6S Plus will burn out if IKeep it in charge and hotspot for 8 hours a day

Eight or nine months not a year, but yes: still an extended period of unlimitedness!

No idea how fast Voxi despatches SIMs at moment. Maybe buy one during an essential shop as most supermarkets have SIM cards near checkouts; recent poster suggested 79p for a Voxi SIM from Home Bargains.

No need to use hotspot on old Android phone, but can still use phone as modem; historic example used by my sis at: hotukdeals.com/com…674

Speed obvsly location dependent. Other thread showed random speedtest screenshot of 77/15 hotukdeals.com/com…561
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions