Groups

Good news. The BBC suffer another blow

The BBC have lost the rights to The Great British Bake Off, one of the only decent programmes they have. This series will be the last it airs.

Good news - another nail in its coffin.

116 Comments

Original Poster

it will now have a viewer vote each week and swearing.

Banned

So is there a chance the BBC could actually fold? never even questioned it but they have been losing the rights to some of their main shows lately. Well, TheVoice has gone to ITV but there's probably more.
    Edited by: "MrScotchBonnet" 12th Sep 2016

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

So is there a chance the BBC could actually fold? never even questioned … So is there a chance the BBC could actually fold? never even questioned it but they have been losing the rights to some of their main shows lately. Well, TheVoice has gone to ITV but there's probably more.

Top Gear looks likely to be scrapped too.
    We can only hope the BBC is coming to an end.

BBC make lots of quality TV so I hope it survives. It is is also one of our best recognised world wide brands.

Apart from the whole TV license element, why is this great news??? The standard of TV on the BBC is miles ahead of the likes of ITV, C4 etc.

Banned

They will always have my respect for giving OFAH a chance.

Outsource the lot to Mumbai like the other services and slash licence fee to £50, so Bollywood Broadcast Company retaining BBC logo.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Uef3Xw3xQiA/UlreqHEizGI/AAAAAAAAAPk/WbLJ7fErlV4/s1600/blog%2Btitle.jpg
    https://media.giphy.com/media/LKqDgLlK6SuIM/giphy.gif

Not quite sure why there's such a gleeful reaction to this. It's a show that the BBC gave a shot to, it's proven to be very popular and now it's moving elsewhere.

And?

The BBC is massively respected around the world and has some quality output, as well as peerless ad-free radio and a remarkably good news channel. It's decent value and one of Britain's finest institutions.

That doesn't mean it's perfect but I really don't understand people like the OP.

Why would the bbc suffering a blow be a good thing? yes no one likes paying the tv licence but I am pretty sure when BBC is gone and all that is left is the ad based income model, people will hate when that little ad is on screen at all times just like in apps.

I work in the TV industry and regularly do work for the BBC, it would be terrible for the industry and to peoples livelihoods if they folded, not only that, no other free to air service can produce and match the quality of production that the BBC is capable of, imagine watching the Olympics on ITV? it would be terrible! Only sky are capable of out performing the BBC and the cost of sky compared to the licence fee is the only reason for this. The BBC put on some great free events also, radio 1's big weekend being a prime example.

I've never really understood why anyone is so violently opposed to the BBC. Compared with the alternatives (Sky, ITV) it offers such good quality material and compared to Sky it's a bargain. To me it's one to be filed under 'we'd miss it if it were gone' Obviously that's my pennies worth

I don't see this as a good thing as now there'll be adverts in the middle. Plus my Sony tv only has bbc iplayer and 5od so I can't watch it on my tv if I miss it as channel 4 don't let you screen cast.

Darkscience

I work in the TV industry and regularly do work for the BBC, it would be … I work in the TV industry and regularly do work for the BBC, it would be terrible for the industry and to peoples livelihoods if they folded, not only that, no other free to air service can produce and match the quality of production that the BBC is capable of, imagine watching the Olympics on ITV? it would be terrible! Only sky are capable of out performing the BBC and the cost of sky compared to the licence fee is the only reason for this. The BBC put on some great free events also, radio 1's big weekend being a prime example.

No the BBC don't do anything free at all THE TELEVISION TAX/LIECENCE pays for it.

The BBC is a nasty organisation that uses threat and bully boy tactics to extort non-users.

YOU LOVE YOU PAY FOR IT via subscription, you really want me to pay the BBC to watch Bullseye series 1 (1982) from ITV on Challenge at 11.30pm?

zobby

I've never really understood why anyone is so violently opposed to the … I've never really understood why anyone is so violently opposed to the BBC. Compared with the alternatives (Sky, ITV) it offers such good quality material and compared to Sky it's a bargain. To me it's one to be filed under 'we'd miss it if it were gone' Obviously that's my pennies worth

I pay my tv licence and they spend it on making utter tripe like Mrs Browns Boys!

Banned

zobby

I've never really understood why anyone is so violently opposed to the … I've never really understood why anyone is so violently opposed to the BBC.

The only thing I am opposed to is its frequent biased news reporting.

However, the majority of people anti-BBC just dont like paying.

Will Mary Berry last till next year though?

StevenBrown

Why would the bbc suffering a blow be a good thing? yes no one likes … Why would the bbc suffering a blow be a good thing? yes no one likes paying the tv licence but I am pretty sure when BBC is gone and all that is left is the ad based income model, people will hate when that little ad is on screen at all times just like in apps.

Nah.

You seem to be under the impression that it's the BBC which determines what adverts other networks can run. That's not the case - it's Ofcom who dictate all that sort of stuff, so if the BBC were to die, it wouldn't necessarily result in a little ad on screen, or anything like that.

zobby

I've never really understood why anyone is so violently opposed to the … I've never really understood why anyone is so violently opposed to the BBC.

Me neither but there's a certain type of man (seemingly always men) who rages against it in a rather caricatured manner when they reach a certain point in their life.

Maybe it's something to do with a lack of control over having to pay it or something like that.

Ever wondered why the BBC never reported on child abuse by politicians. Ever wondered why the BBC never reported on child abuse by senior police and the judiciary. Not like they had their own little child abuse ring going on.

our girl and one of us....Seems like it's getting better at screening drama

moneysavingkitten

Will Mary Berry last till next year though?

https://storage.googleapis.com/imgfave/image_cache/1317952898791003.png
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/70/56/1a/70561aa87062956839defc2d0c73bd09.jpg

I think the reason alot of people dont like the BBC is because most feel they dont have a choice but to pay the licence. You get a letter demanding payment if you dont have one. If people were actually given a choice to pay, I'm sure the whole BBC would completely different.
    Take the olympics for example. They send 455 BBC employees out to Rio which was almost 100 more than the athletes.

stuarthanley

Top Gear looks likely to be scrapped too. We can only hope the BBC is … Top Gear looks likely to be scrapped too. We can only hope the BBC is coming to an end.

​Could not agree more, it's time we had a choice whether or not we pay for and thus watch this bloated old relic, the TV licence / BBC Tax deserves to be scrapped along with all the tactics they use to enforce it

DarkEnergy2012

Genuine concern like.

Don't really watch the BBC since they murdered top gear, their news is a travesty that shouldn't be allowed its getying like our version of fox news.

Don't really watch much tv full stop now days, Internet is better.

peteivy

I think the reason alot of people dont like the BBC is because most feel … I think the reason alot of people dont like the BBC is because most feel they dont have a choice but to pay the licence. You get a letter demanding payment if you dont have one. If people were actually given a choice to pay, I'm sure the whole BBC would completely different. Take the olympics for example. They send 455 BBC employees out to Rio which was almost 100 more than the athletes.

And they're just dishonest. They keep posting letters through my door saying they have called when they haven't. They push the letter through the door and run. Seen them three times now doing this. Then it says on the letter they are trying to 'help me'.

Really rubs a person up the wrong way being continually lied to and having the truth twisted in every dealing with them.

Error440

Don't really watch the BBC since they murdered top gear, their news is a … Don't really watch the BBC since they murdered top gear, their news is a travesty that shouldn't be allowed its getying like our version of fox news. Don't really watch much tv full stop now days, Internet is better.

I get that saying a news channel is like FNC is shorthand for saying it's bad but how much Fox News do you watch? BBC News is nothing like it. In fact the BBC is nothing like CNN, MSNBC or even the network news in America.

I agree about Top Gear though. That was a massive misstep on their part. Overall though I'd say the BBC still makes some genuinely great TV and is one of the few places that still takes a chance on young talent.

That is invaluable for this country's cultural output, which is remarkable considering the size of our population. We punch way above our weight in that department and it is fantastic for our stature on the world stage and our economy.

i incorrectly assumed it would've been ITV that poached it but it appears to be Channel 4 that came up with the most dough
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/434/244/817.png

balsingh458

Apart from the whole TV license element, why is this great news??? The … Apart from the whole TV license element, why is this great news??? The standard of TV on the BBC is miles ahead of the likes of ITV, C4 etc.

​Totally disagree, the dramas on ITV are far superior( and free), hardly anything on the BBC is original anymore and as for an endless supply of age old repeats which seem to form a big chunk of its programing it's just like an endless circle . It might have been good once but that was when there was hardly any other channels, ie a long time ago

I used to watch fox news in short bursts for a laugh when I had a Dreambox with a pirate card many moons ago, the BBC is blatantly biased give em ten years and they will be just like fox they are on the road to it.

I can't think of anything the bbc has to offer now days that is of any interest.

Biggest waste of money ever, doesn't even report proper news any more with shows stinking of internal self advertisement.
    Sickens me to pay a £140 odd stealth tax which is far from value for money to pay for numerous presenters on £400K+ salaries. Work hard for their money don't they.

Agent004

​Totally disagree, the dramas on ITV are far superior( and free), h … ​Totally disagree, the dramas on ITV are far superior( and free), hardly anything on the BBC is original anymore and as for an endless supply of age old repeats which seem to form a big chunk of its programing it's just like an endless circle . It might have been good once but that was when there was hardly any other channels, ie a long time ago

I'm not a massive fan of any of the ITV dramas but I can recognise they have their audiences who appreciate them. Personally I think stuff like Happy Valley, Line of Duty and even some of the mainstays like Silent Witness are excellent.

In terms of comedy though it's not really a contest. The BBC has been key to British comedians making breakthroughs for 50 years. You can go from Hancock to TWTWTW to Monty Python, The Two Ronnies, Morecombe and Wise, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and right up to The Office. Those aren't just great shows, they're among the best comedies created in the English-speaking world. Even now you have shows like Fleabag which are risky shows that might not find a commission elsewhere.

This country punches way above it's weight culturally and I think the BBC has to be recognised as part of that. Obviously some people don't take an interest in culture or don't care about this country's position in the world but I think most people probably have a passing interest.

Thing is, if they want to keep me in their propaganda loop, they will have to make it free. Does it pay to have a large group of people that have no clue what the hot topic of the day is, unless someone posts it in Misc?

But for now I am enjoying my freedom.

Error440

I used to watch fox news in short bursts for a laugh when I had a … I used to watch fox news in short bursts for a laugh when I had a Dreambox with a pirate card many moons ago, the BBC is blatantly biased give em ten years and they will be just like fox they are on the road to it.I can't think of anything the bbc has to offer now days that is of any interest.

All of the major US news outlets are biased - Fox news is the only one that acts as the voice of US conservatives but they are clear on their agenda. MSNBC, CNN, ESPN are all politically left.

john184

Biggest waste of money ever, doesn't even report proper news any more … Biggest waste of money ever, doesn't even report proper news any more with shows stinking of internal self advertisement.

Going by the news on the BBC website, the stories it's covering are about Syria, Stephen Lawrence and politics both domestic and US.

Obviously that might not be considered real news. On the Daily Mail site for instance, their banner headline is about someone from Dragons' Den going on holiday (that's completely true!).

Weird that the BBC isn't going with a story about a personality from one of their shows, given the 'internal self advertisement'.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Going by the news on the BBC website, the stories it's covering are about … Going by the news on the BBC website, the stories it's covering are about Syria, Stephen Lawrence and politics both domestic and US.Obviously that might not be considered real news. On the Daily Mail site for instance, their banner headline is about someone from Dragons' Den going on holiday (that's completely true!).Weird that the BBC isn't going with a story about a personality from one of their shows, given the 'internal self advertisement'.

There's a difference between reporting the news and setting an agenda, the BBC never just reports news.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Not quite sure why there's such a gleeful reaction to this. It's a show … Not quite sure why there's such a gleeful reaction to this. It's a show that the BBC gave a shot to, it's proven to be very popular and now it's moving elsewhere. And?The BBC is massively respected around the world and has some quality output, as well as peerless ad-free radio and a remarkably good news channel. It's decent value and one of Britain's finest institutions.That doesn't mean it's perfect but I really don't understand people like the OP.

The rest of the world gets it for free.

I must be in the minority which thinks that this show is ****...
    Edited by: "RossD89" 12th Sep 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would56
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17846377
      3. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2630
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047138

See more discussions