Good old J D Wetherspoon !

Posted 24th Mar
so J D Wetherspoon tells all his dedicated staff to work at Tesco cause he isn't paying em !
40,000 staff told they will get nothing whilst the restaurants are closed.
my niece just contacted me in tears, shes 21 and was the Sous chef at one of the restaurants.
im sure Mr Wetherspoon will manage to scrape through this pandemic with his £72 million.
absolutely disgusting.
Community Updates
watch the video he sent to staff, sorry its the daily fail

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Misc
Top comments
People need to remember things like this. All those corner shops, eBay sellers, Amazon sellers, and Wetherspoons, oh and that nasty Branson bloke's airline, and the like should be boycotted and forced into the ground and their direct competitors, who have been good, should benefit.
Edited by: "StonkwellBogtrotter" 24th Mar
deleted8085824/03/2020 15:36

He showed his true colours on telly a couple of days ago, complaining …He showed his true colours on telly a couple of days ago, complaining about having to close his pubs.

I won't be going back, he should have used this time while they're closed to give all his grubby pubs a good clean up, half of them look like you could catch more than a virus in them
He showed his true colours on telly a couple of days ago, complaining about having to close his pubs.
Edited by: "deeky" 24th Mar
30 Comments
People need to remember things like this. All those corner shops, eBay sellers, Amazon sellers, and Wetherspoons, oh and that nasty Branson bloke's airline, and the like should be boycotted and forced into the ground and their direct competitors, who have been good, should benefit.
Edited by: "StonkwellBogtrotter" 24th Mar
Scum
That's a disgrace, and I spend some money there.

Partly, if what Tim Martin's accountant and lawyers are correct, then the slowness/bureacracy of the furlough commitment to pay on the civil servant side could be at fault.

In this coronavirus crisis, a known known pandemic bound to come since 2003 SARS, there are awful many leaders who now behave like giant children waiting to be told by just a few adults on what to do, in the meantime they do nothing right and sensible using their initiative.
Edited by: "splender" 24th Mar
He showed his true colours on telly a couple of days ago, complaining about having to close his pubs.
Edited by: "deeky" 24th Mar

He showed his true colours on telly a couple of days ago, complaining …He showed his true colours on telly a couple of days ago, complaining about having to close his pubs.

I won't be going back, he should have used this time while they're closed to give all his grubby pubs a good clean up, half of them look like you could catch more than a virus in them

Surely, there is a civil servant command centre to do quick fire answers for business CEOs, or is it too much to expect 5-star generals to field these questions about furlough money?! They said that they are working 24/7 in this crisis, and today is Tuesday working day!
Tim Martin said, "However, they are in a minority in the pub and restaurant trade. Most companies, including Wetherspoon, do not have the resources, while pubs are shut, to make this commitment and need to see details of the scheme in order to retain and pay staff."

He is right on this, many businesses, and I have direct experience of one, ceased trading/liquidation immediately on the day the 80% furlough scheme was announced last Friday, leaving employees in a limbo with zilch, unable even to claim furlough as there is no company anymore!
splender24/03/2020 15:49

Tim Martin said, "However, they are in a minority in the pub and …Tim Martin said, "However, they are in a minority in the pub and restaurant trade. Most companies, including Wetherspoon, do not have the resources, while pubs are shut, to make this commitment and need to see details of the scheme in order to retain and pay staff."He is right on this, many businesses, and I have direct experience of one, ceased trading/liquidation immediately on the day the 80% furlough scheme was announced last Friday, leaving employees in a limbo with zilch, unable even to claim furlough as there is no company anymore!

wasnt it McDonalds that didnt even bother to tell staff they were closing before the announcement and said they would only pay them two weeks pay, and yet people still queued up round the block for their burgers
eslick24/03/2020 15:50

make sure you watch the video sorry its from the daily …make sure you watch the video sorry its from the daily failhttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8145979/Wetherspoon-boss-Tim-Martin-tells-40-000-staff-work-Tesco-amid-coronavirus-pandemic.html#v-3332130322613358101

Heard this video twice, fair statements: he will get furlough money for you so you can stay at home, or if you want , free to take another job, then he would re-employ you as first preference.
eslick24/03/2020 16:01

wasnt it McDonalds that didnt even bother to tell staff they were closing …wasnt it McDonalds that didnt even bother to tell staff they were closing before the announcement and said they would only pay them two weeks pay, and yet people still queued up round the block for their burgers

I vaguely remember the McD annoucement wasn't great.

I am not even sure if you are on a zero hour contract or whatever causal contract that you are eligible for furlough anyway.
maccy1i24/03/2020 15:39

I won't be going back, he should have used this time while they're closed …I won't be going back, he should have used this time while they're closed to give all his grubby pubs a good clean up, half of them look like you could catch more than a virus in them

I caught something off one of the barmaids once.
splender24/03/2020 15:49

Tim Martin said, "However, they are in a minority in the pub and …Tim Martin said, "However, they are in a minority in the pub and restaurant trade. Most companies, including Wetherspoon, do not have the resources, while pubs are shut, to make this commitment and need to see details of the scheme in order to retain and pay staff."He is right on this, many businesses, and I have direct experience of one, ceased trading/liquidation immediately on the day the 80% furlough scheme was announced last Friday, leaving employees in a limbo with zilch, unable even to claim furlough as there is no company anymore!

so...
jdwetherspoon.com/~/m…pdf
they rake in £1.8b in revenu in FY2019-20 (presented on 20th march.... 4 days ago)
of which, £95m in profits before tax (and after exception items)

in these exceptional circumstances looking to redefine capitalism and promote humanity - surely they could scrap the 12p dividend and easily afford to pay the minimum wage they offer to majority of the 40k employees!
hashman24/03/2020 16:32

so...https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/~/media/files/pdf-documents/investors/2020/interim-results-presentation-20-march-2020.pdfthey rake in £1.8b in revenu in FY2019-20 (presented on 20th march.... 4 days ago)of which, £95m in profits before tax (and after exception items)in these exceptional circumstances looking to redefine capitalism and promote humanity - surely they could scrap the 12p dividend and easily afford to pay the minimum wage they offer to majority of the 40k employees!

I like your proposal, let us know their reply to you, after you had written to them in your proposal.
hashman24/03/2020 16:32

so...https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/~/media/files/pdf-documents/investors/2020/interim-results-presentation-20-march-2020.pdfthey rake in £1.8b in revenu in FY2019-20 (presented on 20th march.... 4 days ago)of which, £95m in profits before tax (and after exception items)in these exceptional circumstances looking to redefine capitalism and promote humanity - surely they could scrap the 12p dividend and easily afford to pay the minimum wage they offer to majority of the 40k employees!

Sadly same goes for any company, will use the McDonald’s example again, much bigger than Wetherspoon and doing something very similar across the globe. One thing about Wetherspoons us he is being honest, if his company has had calls from Tesco then he is pointing them in their directions. Some of us are lucky work for companies that actually give a.... but not everyone will and many after this will be left with statutory redundancy as not everyone will survive.

As long as those colours contain "black & blue" then great.

I'm certain I won't be frequenting any of his establishments in the future - that's for sure.
If you watched it and read it, he’s done nothing wrong and was trying to help, but stupid people took it out of context then others jump on board without you info...
Bargainhead25/03/2020 13:28

If you watched it and read it, he’s done nothing wrong and was trying to h …If you watched it and read it, he’s done nothing wrong and was trying to help, but stupid people took it out of context then others jump on board without you info...

Nothing wrong ! God help us if you ever become our boss
lollypoplee25/03/2020 13:30

Nothing wrong ! God help us if you ever become our boss

employees will get 80% when the government pay out the grants, if you want to work you can go elsewhere and your job will be safe, that’s what I took from it. That’s better than a lot who have already been let go with nothing..
Remember, this is the man our prime minister buddies up to. They share a good laddy pint in the old English pub, proving they're in touch with the British people (or at least, with the money in their pockets).
Bargainhead25/03/2020 13:32

employees will get 80% when the government pay out the grants, if you want …employees will get 80% when the government pay out the grants, if you want to work you can go elsewhere and your job will be safe, that’s what I took from it. That’s better than a lot who have already been let go with nothing..

Much as I dislike the man, that's the way I understood the situation. If anyone knows better please let me know.
I didn't know Wetherspoons ran restaurants.
supermann25/03/2020 13:59

I didn't know Wetherspoons ran restaurants.

Are you joking ?
lollypoplee25/03/2020 14:05

Are you joking ?

Nope. You should pay a visit to one of their kitchens.
supermann25/03/2020 14:06

Nope. You should pay a visit to one of their kitchens.

If you didn't know he ran restaurants, how do you know he has kitchens ?
I'm obviously missing the sarcasm here somewhere
compadre25/03/2020 13:51

Much as I dislike the man, that's the way I understood the situation. If …Much as I dislike the man, that's the way I understood the situation. If anyone knows better please let me know.

ill informed or stupid people trying to scaremonger and cause trouble...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants