Good pair of routers for a 3-storey house?

Found 25th Mar
Hi,

Looking for some routers for our three-story shared house.

We can't use powerline sockets as the house levels are on different rings.

I've also heard extenders are pretty rubbish.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair of good priced routers we can use to get internet around the whole house?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments
Try google home or bt WiFi they are mesh routers. You will likely need 3 but they will give you full coverage. Note you may have 10-20% speed loss but no lag (like WiFi extenders) and full or very close go full signal.
Google home is more expensive but that is what I would go for but bt WiFi is cheaper and does the same thing. You plug the first one into your isp issued modem/router and set the isp issued one to modem only mode and plug the mesh device into the router. Then go upstairs and plug the other one and follow the instructions to connect it (it will only need power from a wall socket)
Extenders are perfectly fine if you buy good ones, Netgear EX7300 for example.
Presumably you're looking to use one as a router and one as an access point connected via ethernet?
AirbusA3801 h, 40 m ago

Extenders are perfectly fine if you buy good ones, Netgear EX7300 for …Extenders are perfectly fine if you buy good ones, Netgear EX7300 for example.

If you only use email and light browsing yes, otherwise they are complete garbage.
cmdr_elito18 m ago

If you only use email and light browsing yes, otherwise they are complete …If you only use email and light browsing yes, otherwise they are complete garbage.

Absolute rubbish!

I have this and it streams with Apple TV with no problems whatsoever.
Edited by: "AirbusA380" 25th Mar
Original Poster
EndlessWaves2 h, 10 m ago

Presumably you're looking to use one as a router and one as an access …Presumably you're looking to use one as a router and one as an access point connected via ethernet?

Will have one connected to the Virgin router via ethernet and the other as an access point downstairs
Lots of assumptions you are making.

First power line adapter work across rings - they are limited on phase.

Routers are for routing traffic - any reason you are after 2 rather than one router and an access point? More costly and more configuration to buy 2 routers and then configure one as an access point.

Mesh wifi is interesting in the sense one acts as a router the rest access points - but certainly what would interest me if setting up fresh at moment as seem good value - they also simplify config for you.

Extenders being poor? extenders are aka access points. If you connect an access point to your router directly and use the same chipset that your router is using then you have the same potential performance.

Good luck.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 25th Mar
AirbusA3801 h, 8 m ago

Absolute rubbish!I have this and it streams with Apple TV with no problems …Absolute rubbish!I have this and it streams with Apple TV with no problems whatsoever.

Try gaming with it online and you’ll be lagging like a Chinese player on an English server....

Your Apple TV will work because streaming downloads slightly ahead maintaining a buffer of data which means the lag will not affect you in the same way as say gaming or doing anything that requires instant response. Not sure why anyone would waste money on relatively old tech (extenders) when the mesh option performs better and is currently on offer!!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 25th Mar
AirbusA3801 h, 12 m ago

Absolute rubbish!I have this and it streams with Apple TV with no problems …Absolute rubbish!I have this and it streams with Apple TV with no problems whatsoever.

Access points can work fine for static equipment but for items that are moved around the house, phones, tablets etc. then a mesh system is more seamless.
Gaming is absolutely fine thanks, no lag whatsoever. This is far from old tech and sorry mesh technology is not as great as you make out, it still has a long way to go before it’s ready for the consumer market.

33512884-KQRSY.jpg
paulj481 h, 4 m ago

Access points can work fine for static equipment but for items that are …Access points can work fine for static equipment but for items that are moved around the house, phones, tablets etc. then a mesh system is more seamless.

Sorry I totally disagree with this comment, my mobile devices switch seamlessly with my router and extender. If you buy decent high end equipment you don’t have issues, buy cheap you get crap performance and reliability simple as.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions