Groups

Good place to buy tools? Preferably credit?

Unfortunately lost my job a couple of weeks ago due to my company running out of work, no longer have access to their tools so need to buy my collection. Looking at a big outlay, and if I was to pay on the spot the place I'd go is Screwfix (unless you guys can recommend somewhere better) but I'd prefer the option of being able make monthly/weekly payments. So basically I'm asking for your recommendations on best places to buy tools, or any deals you've noticed. Preferably Dewalt/Makita unless you can recommend other brands also.

Need stuff like drill/driver sets, Router, mitre saw, circular saw, straight edge, worktop jig, jigsaw and laser level. Cheers guys!

14 Comments

Banned

Interest free credit card would be a start.

shop lifters :-)

Original Poster

toshapetriji

Interest free credit card would be a start.

Anywhere that offers interest free credit, seems to have massive markup on their items in the first place.

sorry to hear you lost your job. Get your tools on a credit card then do a balance transfer (barclays credit card offers 35 months interest free at the moment) although you would need to pay a transfer fee.

^ a lot of decent advice there. Toolwise, the new makita stuff with lithium batteries arnt as good as dewalts. Shame as I have always preferred makita.
    Jigsaw wise Bosch are still the best, routers and chop saw- doesn't matter too much, I use a Bosch and hitachi router, both are superb but the bosch probably edges it for better build quality, chopsaws, I have a makita which is faultless and in my workshop I have an Electra Beckem (metabo) which is also good but I find the cuts better on the makita, worktop jigs - go for Trend, levels - stick to stabila, pricey but worth it.

dsdans

Anywhere that offers interest free credit, seems to have massive markup … Anywhere that offers interest free credit, seems to have massive markup on their items in the first place.

An interest-free credit card will let you buy the tools wherever you like, so you can research the prices and buy the cheapest.

Original Poster

INDUSTRYHATER

^ a lot of decent advice there. Toolwise, the new makita stuff with … ^ a lot of decent advice there. Toolwise, the new makita stuff with lithium batteries arnt as good as dewalts. Shame as I have always preferred makita.Jigsaw wise Bosch are still the best, routers and chop saw- doesn't matter too much, I use a Bosch and hitachi router, both are superb but the bosch probably edges it for better build quality, chopsaws, I have a makita which is faultless and in my workshop I have an Electra Beckem (metabo) which is also good but I find the cuts better on the makita, worktop jigs - go for Trend, levels - stick to stabila, pricey but worth it.

Cheers for the advice, I would lean towards Dewalt for the most of it, Festool is my preference for routers, circular saws but they're abit pricey for me at the minute. Chop saw wise, im confused as to what difference the brand would make. if it's the same spe wouldn't it be down to the blade?

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

An interest-free credit card will let you buy the tools wherever you … An interest-free credit card will let you buy the tools wherever you like, so you can research the prices and buy the cheapest.

Oops sorry I mis-read your comment. As far as credit cards go, I've never actually owned one so it's a whole new world to me. Haven't a clue how they work or anything.

dsdans

Oops sorry I mis-read your comment. As far as credit cards go, I've never … Oops sorry I mis-read your comment. As far as credit cards go, I've never actually owned one so it's a whole new world to me. Haven't a clue how they work or anything.

It might be worth checking whether you can get one. Major downside here though is that you're effectively unemployed so you might find it difficult to obtain a credit card, never mind an interest free one.

Would you get by for a while on cheap and cheerful tools initially so you can build up some cash and gradually build up a collection of good tools?

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

It might be worth checking whether you can get one. Major downside here … It might be worth checking whether you can get one. Major downside here though is that you're effectively unemployed so you might find it difficult to obtain a credit card, never mind an interest free one.Would you get by for a while on cheap and cheerful tools initially so you can build up some cash and gradually build up a collection of good tools?

The issue with that is cheap tools often aren't too cheerful. Qualities everything fitting kitchens bedrooms and bathrooms

Newer dewalt stuff isn't particularly good. Cheaply made with plastic gearing inside (compared to the previous metal) so I would stay away from those.

Most of my collection is makita, but again some of the newer stuff with the lithium batteries aren't up to much.

I have a bosch jigsaw which is very good.

Comment

dsdans

Cheers for the advice, I would lean towards Dewalt for the most of it, … Cheers for the advice, I would lean towards Dewalt for the most of it, Festool is my preference for routers, circular saws but they're abit pricey for me at the minute. Chop saw wise, im confused as to what difference the brand would make. if it's the same spe wouldn't it be down to the blade?

Both my chopsaws use the same blades, I find my metabo one to have ever so slight play in it and seems to be a degree out. The slide doesn't seem to be perfectly smooth either and when mitering vinyl it doesn't take much to lift the vinyl itself. Maybe mine has took a bump at some point.

Don't miss this bargain, great multi-tool. bbcshop.com/doc…yat
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nightmare with BT over Broadband11
      2. Monitor for console gaming reccomendations11
      3. Biscuit addiction815
      4. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?89

See more discussions