Groups
    EXPIRED

Good quality road bike on a budget?

Can anyone suggest a road bike that is good value for money (less than £200)?? Will be used mostly for weekend bike riding. Any suggestions?

8 Comments

I take it you mean a pedal bike and not motorbike for that money?

Cheapest at Halfords is this halfords.com/web…710 and evans have this evanscycles.com/pro…978 for £289 (their cheapest). Reckon you will be struggling for a road bike under £200, especially one of decent quality. I have a hybrid (cross between mountain bike and road bike) and it is great for weekend riding. Remember road bikes can have quite uncomfortable riding positions to maximise aerodynamics.

Best bet I reckon would be second hand.

Original Poster

stefor;5896704

I take it you mean a pedal bike and not motorbike for that money?

yeh sorry!! :oops:

Original Poster

stewby;5896743

Cheapest at Halfords is this … Cheapest at Halfords is this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_712161_langId_-1_categoryId_165710 and evans have this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/raleigh/airlite-100-2009-road-bike-ec018978 for £289 (their cheapest). Reckon you will be struggling for a road bike under £200. I have a hybrid (cross between mountain bike and road bike) and it is great for weekend riding. Remember road bikes can have quite uncomfortable riding positions to maximise aerodynamics.

im going for a road bike as I mite consider entering a few time trials when i'm fit again, but I see your point!! :thumbsup:

steveuk;5896772

im going for a road bike as I mite consider entering a few time trials … im going for a road bike as I mite consider entering a few time trials when i'm fit again, but I see your point!! :thumbsup:

Then I would think second hand is the only way to go under £200. Anything you get new for less than £200 is liable to be so heavy that you would be ******ed in the TT anyway. Or does your employer do the cycle to work scheme? Then you would have a bigger budget.

Original Poster

stewby;5896800

Then I would think second hand is the only way to go under £200. … Then I would think second hand is the only way to go under £200. Anything you get new for less than £200 is liable to be so heavy that you would be ******ed in the TT anyway. Or does your employer do the cycle to work scheme? Then you would have a bigger budget.

work on a seasonal contract at asda??

steveuk;5896876

work on a seasonal contract at asda??

Ask your HR person. Not sure on all the rules and stuff aound it by I know people who got £400 bikes for half that price as the employer pays the balance.

This gives good details of the ride 2 work scheme - includes a calculator for how much you would save

it means you can get a decent bike for approx. 1/2 price and pay it back out of your salary once a month!

if your employer doesn't do it alredy ask them - this has happened at my company and in these recession times our HR dept thought it was a good idea to give something to the employees that benefited them, whilst not costing the company - win:win (as they used to say in management circles!)

evanscycles.com/rid…ork
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
      3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions