Good quality SATA PCI-E cards

Found 2nd Jul
Are there any reliable brands? I have tried Startech and Syba and they either stop working after a few months or worse corrupt disks. These are the best selling models on Amazon but critical reviews match my experiences. The Syba I had replaced by Amazon and the second card had issues just the same.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
in my experience any "hardware" raid card with its own bios is more reliable than software controlled models, in essence if you need to install a non standard driver in windows etc it is much more likely to corrupt.
Failure on the other hand is purely down to hardware quality but if much effort is put in there, it will probably cost more than the main board because of the limited market scale
Hi Andre - could you describe what it is you are trying to achieve and why (details on what you have will help)?

There could be a number of permutations which may make the advise applicable or not. mad dog has guessed at the raid setup which is one - although would hope any card you added had some form of a bios to initiate comms with.
My motherboard only has 5 ports and I need to add at least 4 more. I do not need RAID. I have purchased non RAID variants of cards from Amazon. This was latest amazon.co.uk/Syb…41M
I can't picture a situation where I would want 9 sata devices in a PC - personally would have offloaded to a nas before getting to there.

As maddog was suggesting once you start to move up beyond what your motherboard supplies and entry level cards then the next step beyond is to look at raid cards - they can function as JBOD (if that is what you wanted) and bring you towards the professional/server entry level standard - LSI megaraid is one such example (plenty of others and if you look into the server entry level but make sure you only consider the sata variants rather than sas).

However, in the professional stakes not all drives are considered complaint and you need to confirm what you have is on the devices compatibility list before buying or risk the same issues you are saying you are already encountering. N.B. if you can't find a compatability list then that strongly speaks volumnes of the device you are considering.
Bertz993rd Jul

I can't picture a situation where

Always one!

Anyway the rest of the reply is along the right track. Save yourself money get an 9211-8i in IT MODE. That is the particular reference model of the LSI branded card intended for RAID although you will rarely find the original the next best thing is the Dell H310. It has to be IT MODE don't just buy any of these cards otherwise you will end up with RAID. IT MODE means converted so no RAID just SATA ports. You could in theory do this yourself but it really can be a pain even with the instructions and not worth the risk of bricking or the time invested. I tried and learned my lesson. There are 2 mini SAS ports on these cards and with a mini SAS to 4 SATA forward cable that will give you 8 more ports.

Ebay always has listings. The H310 is easy to find like I said the original LSI much harder. Don't ever buy from China they send what are known as fake cards which fall apart.

These are enterprise grade cards although on entry level anything intended for consumers using jmicron or Marvel circuits like those on Amazon can't compare. I have yet to see a genuine 8 port with brands like Syba anyway they usually split the bandwith of four which not only slows down but also contributes to data issues. The soldering I have seen on some of those cards is absolutely atrocious I am curious what they even fail on QA.
bibizizi3 h, 49 m ago

Always one!Anyway the rest of the reply is along the right track. Save …Always one!Anyway the rest of the reply is along the right track. Save yourself money get an 9211-8i in IT MODE. That is the particular reference model of the LSI branded card intended for RAID although you will rarely find the original the next best thing is the Dell H310. It has to be IT MODE don't just buy any of these cards otherwise you will end up with RAID. IT MODE means converted so no RAID just SATA ports. You could in theory do this yourself but it really can be a pain even with the instructions and not worth the risk of bricking or the time invested. I tried and learned my lesson. There are 2 mini SAS ports on these cards and with a mini SAS to 4 SATA forward cable that will give you 8 more ports.Ebay always has listings. The H310 is easy to find like I said the original LSI much harder. Don't ever buy from China they send what are known as fake cards which fall apart.These are enterprise grade cards although on entry level anything intended for consumers using jmicron or Marvel circuits like those on Amazon can't compare. I have yet to see a genuine 8 port with brands like Syba anyway they usually split the bandwith of four which not only slows down but also contributes to data issues. The soldering I have seen on some of those cards is absolutely atrocious I am curious what they even fail on QA.

If you are going to quote me you should at least keep the context:

"I can't picture a situation where I would want 9 sata devices in a PC"

As to being always one I think you might find there more than just myself scratching their head. I remember a Compaq storage array nearly 2 decades ago with less drives in it.

Given that Andre doesn't want the performance or redundancy advantages offered by raid then I struggle to see the use case for myself. First I could afford bigger disks and split the volumes albeit the NAS might be another viable option and would make some sense in having a local store available to more than one machine - although even that could be considered a decade out of date. Most of my stuff sits on the cloud that enables me to be really light weight and the portable dc only comes out as contingency for remote sites where connectivity isn't assured. Everything else has switched to streaming making no requirement for my use cases.

Interesting you quote IT mode which is how you set on those cards to be operating as JBOD - other cards do vary as to the option provided.

I would have to disagree with you as these cards are not what would be classified as currently enterprise , albeit you do contradict yourself by then saying entry level. Entreprise or entry level which is it? I would say in the current state they are more targeted to the small businesses where as the san fabric used in the enterprise has long moved away from this type of connectivity.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 3rd Jul
You are not answering the question and just rambling with further irrelevance. Most times with these technical questions which are anything beyond very basic there is always one person taking on a tangent about WHY when the question just wants answered HOW. You seem upset I pointed this out that you are the one. I'm not going to address each point I am not interested in the back and forth arguing but will clarify for the sake of OP and others just in case it was unclear the 9211-8i is considered entry level in enterprise they are not mutually exclusive as you imply. If you buy an entry level server from Dell the server will come with 1 or 2 of these cards.
bibizizi37 m ago

You are not answering the question and just rambling with further …You are not answering the question and just rambling with further irrelevance. Most times with these technical questions which are anything beyond very basic there is always one person taking on a tangent about WHY when the question just wants answered HOW. You seem upset I pointed this out that you are the one. I'm not going to address each point I am not interested in the back and forth arguing but will clarify for the sake of OP and others just in case it was unclear the 9211-8i is considered entry level in enterprise they are not mutually exclusive as you imply. If you buy an entry level server from Dell the server will come with 1 or 2 of these cards.

Not particularly upset as your "one" comment seems a common theme across several threads from what I can see.
In my maths it suggests more likely that the "one" be possibly closer to home. Either way your approach is a rude one but you are aware of that.

My approach, for clarity, was to ask the OP to clarify his use case - pretty fundamental first step to ascertain the detail in understanding if the question being asked is what they are really seeking.

My follow up you agreed upon in the main In truth I started using HBA's 15 years ago - so specific RAID models I would not advise but given generic as I have shown. I am quite happily pointing out where we converge. I of 2 permutuations there, either you are aware and just trying to claim more (personally adding to someone's detail I would acknowledge) or you are blissfully unaware, again also happy to point this out.

Also to clarify you will not buy a current Dell server with the cards you have advised as:
1) they are end of life
2) they do not (Linux exception) support any currently sold OS.

Like your outlook as you have with what constitutes the current Entreprise standard - hope that isn't your trade as you are really in for a sharp wake up call in the next 5 years if you are already that far behind - good luck.
bibizizi3rd Jul

Always one!Anyway the rest of the reply is along the right track. Save …Always one!Anyway the rest of the reply is along the right track. Save yourself money get an 9211-8i in IT MODE. That is the particular reference model of the LSI branded card intended for RAID although you will rarely find the original the next best thing is the Dell H310. It has to be IT MODE don't just buy any of these cards otherwise you will end up with RAID. IT MODE means converted so no RAID just SATA ports. You could in theory do this yourself but it really can be a pain even with the instructions and not worth the risk of bricking or the time invested. I tried and learned my lesson. There are 2 mini SAS ports on these cards and with a mini SAS to 4 SATA forward cable that will give you 8 more ports.Ebay always has listings. The H310 is easy to find like I said the original LSI much harder. Don't ever buy from China they send what are known as fake cards which fall apart.These are enterprise grade cards although on entry level anything intended for consumers using jmicron or Marvel circuits like those on Amazon can't compare. I have yet to see a genuine 8 port with brands like Syba anyway they usually split the bandwith of four which not only slows down but also contributes to data issues. The soldering I have seen on some of those cards is absolutely atrocious I am curious what they even fail on QA.

Installed an LSI 9211-8i IT MODE and very happy. Purchased from UK seller on ebay who had LSI original. I was comparing with listings from China and the board detail didn't match, different size and colour capacitors and many did not even have the LSI logo. Doing research I see this card is very popular with enthusiasts.

Bertz993rd Jul

If you are going to quote me you should at least keep the context:"I can't …If you are going to quote me you should at least keep the context:"I can't picture a situation where I would want 9 sata devices in a PC"As to being always one I think you might find there more than just myself scratching their head. I remember a Compaq storage array nearly 2 decades ago with less drives in it.Given that Andre doesn't want the performance or redundancy advantages offered by raid then I struggle to see the use case for myself. First I could afford bigger disks and split the volumes albeit the NAS might be another viable option and would make some sense in having a local store available to more than one machine - although even that could be considered a decade out of date. Most of my stuff sits on the cloud that enables me to be really light weight and the portable dc only comes out as contingency for remote sites where connectivity isn't assured. Everything else has switched to streaming making no requirement for my use cases.Interesting you quote IT mode which is how you set on those cards to be operating as JBOD - other cards do vary as to the option provided.I would have to disagree with you as these cards are not what would be classified as currently enterprise , albeit you do contradict yourself by then saying entry level. Entreprise or entry level which is it? I would say in the current state they are more targeted to the small businesses where as the san fabric used in the enterprise has long moved away from this type of connectivity.

The card recommended can function without RAID. One of my previous cards was similar.

Anyway what exactly were you recommending? You bring up NAS. You can barely buy a 2 bay NAS for the price of this card. I could buy a new barebone system put my 9211-8i in it and it would cost less than buying a 4 bay NAS. 9211-8i gives 8 ports.

Was cloud your final recommendation? That is not suitable and more expensive in the long run.
andre400026 m ago

The card recommended can function without RAID. One of my previous cards …The card recommended can function without RAID. One of my previous cards was similar.

Jbod= just a bunch of disc = raid card operating without raid - in some cards that setting is IT Mode - in others not.

andre400026 m ago

Anyway what exactly were you recommending?

I didn't recommend anything. I presented the options.
Bertz997th Jul

Jbod= just a bunch of disc = raid card operating without raid - in some …Jbod= just a bunch of disc = raid card operating without raid - in some cards that setting is IT Mode - in others not.I didn't recommend anything. I presented the options.

Which were? NAS and cloud?

Your initial reply was different I remember seeing the notification for it but then you deleted it and added JBOD and started a flame war.
andre40008th Jul

Which were? NAS and cloud?Your initial reply was different I remember …Which were? NAS and cloud?Your initial reply was different I remember seeing the notification for it but then you deleted it and added JBOD and started a flame war.

what I reposted contained what I deleted just with more flesh on the bones

However, chronological order:
maddog - suggested a raid card

myself - queried more details as tbh without context or device specifics then it is guess work

yourself - vaguely stated you wanted 4 extra ports - none of the specifics making any recommendation guesswork.

myself - I have stated I could not see such a use case subjectively for myself. However, referencing Maddog suggestion gave you a brand a reference model to investigate for yourself stating you are looking for the JBOD settings albeit with the caveat that whatever you investigate and seek to double check it is compatible with your specific devices. N.B. reference models once produced by differing manufacturers will have different colour components and board lay outs.

Bibizizi - gives a specific example quoting IT MODE three times (which is the method to place that card configuration into operating as JBOD) - but you are correct rather than acknowledging he has done so flaming. Interestingly if you check his other post at this time he is calling out someone with the same approach ("always one") albeit the subjective view that occasion was they didn't require an i7 8700 whilst not knowing their requirements (i.e. same approach whilst sat on the opposite side of the fence to where he positioned himself here). There is continuity in that post too as in both cases he is asserting his opinion whilst making assumptions - not that the card he has recommended is a bad choice.

To summarise options I presented included:
1) Raid card brand building on maddog initial suggestion foir you to look into that is rated (and as you have chosen) but to check compliance with your "unknown devices" to mitigate getting the same issues you are already experiencing.

2) NAS is an alternative - you can pick up from ebay a HP Microserver with iLO functionality at not much more than you will have paid for that raid card and that isn't the cheapest option.

3) Cloud - not sure what figures you have been considering but here the big three are investing billions at this moment in time and from just one of them you can get 1.5tb for a year for free without too much hassle (wouldn't suit my subjective use case either but then I don't pick up the tab for my use).

Also as I stated, no recommendation as I can't place myself into your subjective viewpoint from the information you have supplied.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 8th Jul
Bertz998th Jul

what I reposted contained what I deleted just with more flesh on the …what I reposted contained what I deleted just with more flesh on the bonesHowever, chronological order:maddog - suggested a raid cardmyself - queried more details as tbh without context or device specifics then it is guess workyourself - vaguely stated you wanted 4 extra ports - none of the specifics making any recommendation guesswork.myself - I have stated I could not see such a use case subjectively for myself. However, referencing Maddog suggestion gave you a brand a reference model to investigate for yourself stating you are looking for the JBOD settings albeit with the caveat that whatever you investigate and seek to double check it is compatible with your specific devices. N.B. reference models once produced by differing manufacturers will have different colour components and board lay outs.Bibizizi - gives a specific example quoting IT MODE three times (which is the method to place that card configuration into operating as JBOD) - but you are correct rather than acknowledging he has done so flaming. Interestingly if you check his other post at this time he is calling out someone with the same approach ("always one") albeit the subjective view that occasion was they didn't require an i7 8700 whilst not knowing their requirements (i.e. same approach whilst sat on the opposite side of the fence to where he positioned himself here). There is continuity in that post too as in both cases he is asserting his opinion whilst making assumptions - not that the card he has recommended is a bad choice.To summarise options I presented included:1) Raid card brand building on maddog initial suggestion foir you to look into that is rated (and as you have chosen) but to check compliance with your "unknown devices" to mitigate getting the same issues you are already experiencing.2) NAS is an alternative - you can pick up from ebay a HP Microserver with iLO functionality at not much more than you will have paid for that raid card and that isn't the cheapest option.3) Cloud - not sure what figures you have been considering but here the big three are investing billions at this moment in time and from just one of them you can get 1.5tb for a year for free without too much hassle (wouldn't suit my subjective use case either but then I don't pick up the tab for my use).Also as I stated, no recommendation as I can't place myself into your subjective viewpoint from the information you have supplied.

I can't follow because you are constantly posting, deleting, posting, changing. One minute a comment is there another it's gone and replaced with something different.

Regarding your options and particularly obsession with NAS, those HP Microservers don't offer any more ports than any other motherboard, it's the usual 5-6. Running 2 separate machines and splitting the ports over these is not an good solution for a number of reasons. To make this a 'solution' I would have to put a RAID card into the NAS for more ports in which case the NAS has not served any purpose as it is far too underpowered to replace my main system. You can easily buy a used system with same SATA ports as an HP Microserver for half the money just not in such a nice pretty package as the HP which has a slightly fanboy following now. One real solution I investigated and not surprisingly not raised would be to change to a specialty motherboard which has many ports but I would have to make too many changes including CPU and these are hard to find used and very expensive new and have to be imported.

As for cloud, it is NOT suitable AND would cost more. I am doing 4K video editing.

In the end this card has worked out well, SSD full speed simultaneous transfers.
andre40006 h, 45 m ago

I can't follow because you are constantly posting, deleting, posting, …I can't follow because you are constantly posting, deleting, posting, changing. One minute a comment is there another it's gone and replaced with something different.Regarding your options and particularly obsession with NAS, those HP Microservers don't offer any more ports than any other motherboard, it's the usual 5-6. Running 2 separate machines and splitting the ports over these is not an good solution for a number of reasons. To make this a 'solution' I would have to put a RAID card into the NAS for more ports in which case the NAS has not served any purpose as it is far too underpowered to replace my main system. You can easily buy a used system with same SATA ports as an HP Microserver for half the money just not in such a nice pretty package as the HP which has a slightly fanboy following now. One real solution I investigated and not surprisingly not raised would be to change to a specialty motherboard which has many ports but I would have to make too many changes including CPU and these are hard to find used and very expensive new and have to be imported.As for cloud, it is NOT suitable AND would cost more. I am doing 4K video editing.In the end this card has worked out well, SSD full speed simultaneous transfers.

I have no particular obsession with NAS boxes - if your requirement was more storage without performance requirements and using a bunch of disk then a NAS fulfils that requirement - iLO is specifically quite a nice feature in the more recent HP micro servers (rather than an add on in the older) as it gives you a headless device to store those in along side still having your local machines storage.

Useful to actually know your use case of 4K video editing coupled with ssd's for local performance in your requirements.

Although lots of SSD's I think is a symptom of the perfect storm that has been present whilst both demand increased and the manufacturers switched fabrication (limiting supply) over the last few years. Certainly last few weeks on here have been far more decent sized ssd's dropping in price making another option to consolidate to fewer drives whilst if wanting throughput and your motherboard supports then ditching SATA altogether. N.B. guessing your ssd drives sizes here by inference to budget

Regardless though glad you have solution.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants