Groups

Good safety razor?

I've been hearing a lot about safety razors vs disposable razors and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one and some good blades. I'm not fussed about the cost of disposable razors (my one was a free Gillette Fusion one that I've had for maybe a year and just sharpen it) so ideally I'd like the safety razor to be cheap.

10 Comments

You need to go read the 3,000 plus post hotukdeal thread on the subject. I am sure someone will be along shortly with the url. Lots of excellent advice on there on what to buy.

tawse57

You need to go read the 3,000 plus post hotukdeal thread on the subject.

That will be this one

hotukdeals.com/mis…386

I use a merkur with feather razor blades, best shaves I have ever had

Edwin Jagger DE89 with shark or Bluebeard's revenge blades. Gillette 7 o'clock are brilliant as well but soap really matters too.

I use an Edwin Jagger with astra platinum blades.

You can get sample packs to try out different bladea which can be useful. What works for someone doesn't always work for another.

Can't beleive how people are being mugged off for shaving stuff nowadays. Bloody crap for the environment too most of these disposables. No wonder 30 today are poorer compared to their parent even though on average the earn 4 times more age for age. 7 O'Clock, ten blades, block of soap and decent soap brush. Maybe £10 all in and apart from the blades which will cost a few quid every month that's it for years.

Have a look online at traditionalshaving.co.uk They sell some good razors and starter kits. I bought a Merkur 34c DE razor and also use Feather yellow blades. Takes a little practice, but well worth it for the closeness and cost saving on blades. Also if you clean the razor and blade and ensure you dry it thoroughly after every use the blades will last.
    Edited by: "bhavin112" 12th Oct 2016

PulisOut

Can't beleive how people are being mugged off for shaving stuff nowadays. … Can't beleive how people are being mugged off for shaving stuff nowadays. Bloody crap for the environment too most of these disposables. No wonder 30 today are poorer compared to their parent even though on average the earn 4 times more age for age. 7 O'Clock, ten blades, block of soap and decent soap brush. Maybe £10 all in and apart from the blades which will cost a few quid every month that's it for years.

It's not just shaving....... need an insurance policy for everything from a phone to a pet. A few years ago I actually looked at my direct debits and was horrified by all the outgoings, £5 here, £5 there..... soon adds up.

De89 barley handle (beautiful thing) and astra sp blades.
    Kent Infinity Silvertex and Taylor's of old bond street cream or if I'm feeling lazy or rushed just shaving oil.
    Edited by: "joedastudd" 12th Oct 2016

I use a 1972 Gillette tech s4

Cost me around £10 on eBay, brand new but old stock

https://s15.postimg.org/hv7dtgya3/IMG_1885.jpg

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424014470
      2. word association Game73844457
      3. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value59
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553773

See more discussions