Good smartphone advice

Found 13th Dec 2017
Sure this question has been asked a few times before. But thought I'd ask again to see what decent phones are out there.

I'm still using a Samsung S4, and I feel it's definitely time to buy something a bit more upto date.

My budget is £200 max. I don't mind buying a refurb. My preference is a Samsung model, but wouldn't mind going for a different brand if I end up with more for my money.

Has to be android, and not keen on buying from outwith of the UK.

Looking to purchase in early January.

Any suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
look at some of the xiaomi ones which are posted. They are getting good reviews and are on par with some of the latest flagships by google, samsung etc.

edit: just saw you do not want to buy from outside UK. Maybe try to find a samsung s7 or s8 on gumtree in january as they will fall post christmas and with s9 being released around march/april
Edited by: "roll_me_some" 13th Dec 2017
Wileyfox swift 2 plus...no bloat and quick. V. Cheap on Amazon £150

Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus Midnight - 32GB + 3GB 4G SIM-Free Smartphone with Screen Replacement Card and a premium Midnight Blue Case amazon.co.uk/dp/…X73
Edited by: "davewave" 13th Dec 2017
The Xiaomi MI A1 is a excellent phone for the money it’s fast and it’s good at multi tasking and other than the camera application it runs Stock Android 7.1.2 which will be updated to Android 8.0 soon and Android 9.0 when it comes out, so it will be as secure as the Pixel phones.
If you can get one the Lenovo p2, Dual sim, 5,5 amoled display, NFC, finger print sensor, 5100Mah battery, 64gb ram, 4gb ROM, dual core processor, and rapid charger. Plus the loudest speaker I have heard on a phone. Battery charge lasts around 5 days with moderate use and will stand by for 2 weeks. I got mine from three store for £199.

32718769-tzYIw.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 13th Dec 2017
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your advice/replies.

I will read through them all properly this evening and do a comparison

Original Poster
SOUTHWALES9 m ago

If you can get one the Lenovo p2, Dual sim, 5,5 amoled display, NFC, …If you can get one the Lenovo p2, Dual sim, 5,5 amoled display, NFC, finger print sensor, 5100Mah battery, 64gb ram, 4gb ROM, dual core processor, and rapid charger. Plus the loudest speaker I have heard on a phone. Battery charge lasts around 5 days with moderate use and will stand by for 2 weeks. I got mine from three store for £199.[Image]

5 days between charging is pretty impressive
I'd vouch for a Wileyfox Swift 2 range too.

Fingerprint sensor & NFC and can be as low as £155 for their most expensive model.

I have a 2 X and the girlfriend has a Swift 2, great phones with constant security updates.

Can't complain with customer service either, been very responsive and have helped with all my queries etc.

Your downside is a less than impressive camera, the front camera seems to be better than the back camera.
Edited by: "Robot_Rooster" 13th Dec 2017
LittleBunny2 h, 36 m ago

5 days between charging is pretty impressive

Far from true in practice, IME. Mine still needs a charge every night and I'm not a gamer or YouTube fanatic. Mine was 100% at 6am and it's already down to 57% now, at 12:30.

YMMV.
I agree I just bought the Xiaomi A1 waiting for delivery, only bad thing is no NFC but other then that looks like great spec for the money! And rubs Google one so will get security updates same time as pixel 2
Edited by: "oliverkennedy10" 13th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions