Groups

good sound activated toy ideas please!

My son is disabled and unable to speak, however he is vocalising quite a lot. At Christmas I got him the idance Wall E toy, which he soon discovered he could activate all by himself, by making noises at it!
    I'd love to get him something else for easter. They need to respond quite easily to various sounds (not just clapping etc), and do something interesting when activated! He likes lights and music, but nothing really babyish.
    If anyone has seen anything that might be suitable, please let me know, thanks!

13 Comments

what about a furby (if they still make them) I'm sure they used to interact through voice. (apologies if i've got that wrong) x

PM'd

There are sound activated "switches" available. Available from rompa.com/ but very expensive. They are the kind of things normally provided by Ocupational therapists. Our daughter went to an Action For Children special needs creche and they had loads of toys that would do this kind of thing so may be worth your while finding out if there is one near you that could give you advice.

Original Poster

yes we use switches too (well at school anyway!) and he does use the steps switch service, its just nice to get a 'normal' toy once in a while instead of something costing a fortune :-(

I know. Lucky for us in some ways as with my daughter its the buttons she likes to press with music playing cause she has pressed it. Therefore easier for us to get "normal" toys like piano's and toys where you press a button and it makes a noise.

Original Poster

martinhb;8069553

I know. Lucky for us in some ways as with my daughter its the buttons she … I know. Lucky for us in some ways as with my daughter its the buttons she likes to press with music playing cause she has pressed it. Therefore easier for us to get "normal" toys like piano's and toys where you press a button and it makes a noise.

Bless her! My boy has a toy keyboard, but its a full hand thump rather than pressing each individual key...not a great noise lol

Yep my daughter is the full hand thump. Her favorite toy is an eklectronic piano from toys r us that is on plastic legs. She can hit it anywhere and it goes off. Know all the songs and music by heart though. Have days when I would just like to take the batteries out but never do!

I seem to remember tickle me Elmo is an interactive toy, but can't remember the details, maybe worth a google.

Original Poster

sickly sweet;8070371

I seem to remember tickle me Elmo is an interactive toy, but can't … I seem to remember tickle me Elmo is an interactive toy, but can't remember the details, maybe worth a google.

You press his belly to set him off
    I've got him the elmo live for his birthday and going to have it switch adapted for him.

Will have a look for the robots, they sound like his sort of thing!

My son got a dinosaur for his birthday and he moves when he sensors movement near him, Or he will move when you just touch his back. Only down side is the dino goes to sleep after just 2 mins of no movement or touchs and to wake him all you have to do is touch his back, I will get the link just incase its helpful, Not sure on the age of your little boy x

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Original Poster

beth3735, that looks perfect, thanks!

honeyb35;8080703

beth3735, that looks perfect, thanks!

No problems, I want to get my boy the other style ones so he can have a gang lol. Just waiting for them to go in a sale first.
    Hope you manage to find some good toys for your little lad x

Original Poster

they do seem a little pricey, but I'm going to show my mum as a birthday present idea for him, she'll love it
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767257
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826370
      3. Lets hope that there are as few injuries as possible - Parson's Green40214
      4. Quidco and new IPAD 'Prevent Cross-Site Tracking'11

See more discussions