Good toy for a 4 year old boy?

Found 13th Sep 2008
Hi all.

My son is nearly 4 and I want to get him something big that we can build on - but there is so much to choose from, I have a headache! I want something like a Playmobil/Lego playset and something that will hopefully not get left after a week!

Anyone who has a son of a similar age, please can you give me some ideas/recommendations?

Please see post 2 (erm... post 3 now!) for some things I am looking at

1. Misc
  2. Toy
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Toy
23 Comments

Banned

We are just starting to buy for xmas. My sons are 4 and 6 yrs old.

We are looking at this lego bucket in toysrus for our 4yr old. toysrus.co.uk/Pro…rch

Or there is this toysrus.co.uk/Pro…rch

Banned

Have you seen the 3 construction playmobil that toysrus do.....its excellent

Original Poster

Foosball Chum;2961237

We are just starting to buy for xmas. My sons are 4 and 6 yrs old.We are … We are just starting to buy for xmas. My sons are 4 and 6 yrs old.We are looking at this lego bucket in toysrus for our 4yr old. http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/BruOrFindUsing/BruAZOfBrands/BruBabyToysLego/379557?ref=SearchOr there is this http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/TruHome/TruExclusives/TruExclusivesToys/422517?ref=Search

Thanks, they do look good but I want something that can just 'stay up' if you get what I mean, like the castle could stay up and just store the extras away.

I have got him a bucket of Megabloks for 4 years old for £6.99 from Woolworths so gonna see how he goes with them before I buy more brick things.

My 3 yr old is jst getting into Lego - he loves it and will sit and build for ges. Deffo gettng him more for xmas!

My mum has got him a wooden castle with knights etc for xmas from Home Bargains, i'll try and find a piccy.

Original Poster

karen21101;2961389

:)what about knex … :)what about knex http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001151&productId=1500270375&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=KNEX+15th+Anniversary+Tub

Thanks, though I think the K'nex is a bit old for him still - will probably try it though when he is older

loobie;2961477

My 3 yr old is jst getting into Lego - he loves it and will sit and build … My 3 yr old is jst getting into Lego - he loves it and will sit and build for ges. Deffo gettng him more for xmas! My mum has got him a wooden castle with knights etc for xmas from Home Bargains, i'll try and find a piccy.

Will definitely see how he goes with the small bucket of bricks I got him and build on it if he does enjoy it.
Unfortunately, we don't have any Home Bargains darn Sarf (:giggle:) so cannot buy from there.

this looks good,reviews are good but its expensive!
im sure there is a code for 20% of on here somewhere
elc.co.uk/toy…om/

my middle sons (3 & 5) have this but it takes quite a bt of room and their younger brother keeps pulling track apart
is your son the youngest?
does he have a big room?
toysrus.co.uk/Pro…260

Original Poster

edjaned;2961530

this looks good,reviews are good but its expensive!im sure there is a … this looks good,reviews are good but its expensive!im sure there is a code for 20% of on here somewherehttp://www.elc.co.uk/toy/tower-doom/

Ooh, that does look good. I like the Playmobil one too, though and it has more extras
Will give it consideration, thanks (especially if I can find the voucher :giggle:)

Original Poster

edjaned;2961569

my middle sons (3 & 5) have this but it takes quite a bt of room and … my middle sons (3 & 5) have this but it takes quite a bt of room and their younger brother keeps pulling track apartis your son the youngest?does he have a big room?http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/TruHome/TruLearning/TRULearningTraditional06/TRULearningTraditionalWooden/736260

I saw this posted too - my son has loads of wooden train track/road and unfortunately no room for that!
Also, we can make it as big as we want on the floor :giggle:

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Mrs.Z;2961591

Ooh, that does look good. I like the Playmobil one too, though and it has … Ooh, that does look good. I like the Playmobil one too, though and it has more extrasWill give it consideration, thanks (especially if I can find the voucher :giggle:)

here is code PARTY
also try DEL8 for free delivery :thumbsup:

doesnt look like the code will work as its on special offer or something,was going to order for my son too

knex do a box for the little kiddies i have bought some for xmas for my son
toysrus.co.uk/Pro…rch

Original Poster

edjaned;2961679

knex do a box for the little kiddies i have bought some for xmas for my … knex do a box for the little kiddies i have bought some for xmas for my sonhttp://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/TruHome/TruSpecialOffers/TRUSpecialOffersInternetOnly/305588?ref=Search

Ooh, I really like the look of that - my son enjoyed playing with a similar set the the Toy Museum.
May go for these, but am still wanting to buy a playset of some sort as well (make me spend more money why don't you! :giggle:)

LEGO!!! Never too old for lego.

do u have a home bargains by u mrs z?

Original Poster

Thanks again edjaned.
Just before I saw your post I ordered 3 Playmobil pirate things (the 2nd photo above) for now (as in I think thats what I want to buy him :giggle:) as it was free delivery and 500 points for £40+ orders and then - using a code from HUKD - I got another 500 points as I ordered some handsoap to make my order £50. So i got 1200 points back on my order!

Still thinking about the castle though :thinking:

No Home bargains anywhere near me, unfortunately

lol.....I misread ur thread........i thought it said good toy boy......4 years!

are the playmobil things for xmas?or for now?

just wondering if u could let me know if he plays with the stuff much as i will get the boys some for xmas im getting sick of buying things they never play with!my middle boys are 5 and 3 so it would be for them really

do they have lots of little parts?my 1 year old manages to get hold of everything and puts it in his mouth

Banned

yellowsticker;2962464

lol.....I misread ur thread........i thought it said good toy boy......4 … lol.....I misread ur thread........i thought it said good toy boy......4 years!

Do you know, I spent all afternoon reading this thread as that :roll:

Original Poster

edjaned;2962880

are the playmobil things for xmas?or for now?just wondering if u could … are the playmobil things for xmas?or for now?just wondering if u could let me know if he plays with the stuff much as i will get the boys some for xmas im getting sick of buying things they never play with!my middle boys are 5 and 3 so it would be for them reallydo they have lots of little parts?my 1 year old manages to get hold of everything and puts it in his mouth

Son will be getting the toys on 30th September, will keep you updated :thumbsup:
Playmobil does have lots of little pieces though, from what I have read so far, but will tell you for sure when I update you.
Post a comment
@
    Text