Groups

Good uses of pc through tv in lounge?

Have just set up parent's pc in the lounge through their tv, just want to make sure they're getting the best out of it. Have set them up webcam for keeping in touch with family, iplayer etc, films/music/photos.

Anything else you can think of?

18 Comments

Banned

Set up MSN for them and register accounts for them if they don't have it yet ?

Skype-based thing for free calls ?

Original Poster

wierdowoss;2045283

Set up MSN for them and register accounts for them if they don't have it … Set up MSN for them and register accounts for them if they don't have it yet ?Skype-based thing for free calls ?

Cheers, that's what I meant by webcam anyway.

Don't think they'd be bothered about skype.

Check out ]Here and ]Here and treat them to a remote and/or one of ]These

Original Poster

maddogb;2045657

Check out ]Here and ]Here and treat them to a remote and/or one of ]These

Thanks, have already got media center and that works fine. Don't think there's any advantage with mediaportal?

Second link doesn't work.

Have got one of those keyboards, range is less than a meter and the touchpad is awful, thinking of sending it back!

Banned

picasa for photo organiser

google earth is superb

digiguide for tv organiser and scheduler

Banned

put a few card games on there... and puzzle games...my gf mum loves em

Original Poster

Thanks guys, like the ideas of google earth, facebook (which I've put on there already), puzzle games which they've requested but I haven't added yet.

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated!

Banned

Maybe add a TV card so you get a very cheap HDD recorder.

Original Poster

csiman;2047629

Maybe add a TV card so you get a very cheap HDD recorder.

Thought about that but they get bad reception via freeview, I've got a spare card but it doesn't pick up freeview as well as a normal freeview box so it's only going to make matters worse there. Think I'm going to get the sky package from John Lewis for £65 so they'll end up with freesat which'll give them better reception. Might add a satelite card so they can record but they don't watch much tv anyway.

Plus with things like Iplayer now it doesn't really matter if you miss something as chances are it's going to be on there! I know not everything is but the stuff they watch would be on there/

Banned

Benjimoron;2047665

Thought about that but they get bad reception via freeview, I've got a … Thought about that but they get bad reception via freeview, I've got a spare card but it doesn't pick up freeview as well as a normal freeview box so it's only going to make matters worse there. Think I'm going to get the sky package from John Lewis for £65 so they'll end up with freesat which'll give them better reception. Might add a satelite card so they can record but they don't watch much tv anyway. Plus with things like Iplayer now it doesn't really matter if you miss something as chances are it's going to be on there! I know not everything is but the stuff they watch would be on there/

[url]www.thebox.bz[/url]

Original Poster

csiman;2047821

[url]www.thebox.bz[/url]

Just signing up, thanks!

What is it though???

Is it the link I saw the other day for getting iplayer etc all through one site?

Original Poster

csiman;2047821

[url]www.thebox.bz[/url]

So do I need a torrent program to get these? Looks a bit complicated to me, my parents certainly wouldn't understand it!

Think I'll stick to Iplayer etc.

Buy a webcam, a 3m USB extension cable, and a video card with a TV out. Anything from nVidia or ATI's current line-up will suffice.

Take the webcam, situate it somewhere dark and concealed, so that the webcam can't be easily seen, although position it so that it can get a good view of the room. In the bottom corner would be ideal. Next, install its software. If its bundled software does not support fullscreen view, google around until you find software that supports your camera, and that does support fullscreen view.

Next, install your new graphics card. In the box, you will find a little yellow adaptor that plugs into the S-Vid output on the back and outputs to co-ax phono video. Plug that into it. Turn the system on. Enable the S-Vid output, and use it as a seperate display.

You will now have one PC, with effectively two monitor outputs, one with the normal desktop, one with your sneakily-placed webcam running as a fullscreen application on it. What to do now is to find some way to overlay messages and images on the webcam view. "Recording", "Target: [House Address]", and "Known suspects: [your parents names]" would be ideal. Having done that, just walk away, job done.

For the final step, wait patiently for your parents to be flicking through the channels one day, accidently press the wrong button, find themselves on secret hidden spy surveillence and as major international terrorist subjects, Enemy Of The State-style. It'd be awesome.

And best of all, if you actually set the webcam software to record, you can post the video on YouTube so that all of us can laugh at them. Score.

Banned

dxx;2048593

Buy a webcam, a 3m USB extension cable, and a video card with a TV out. … Buy a webcam, a 3m USB extension cable, and a video card with a TV out. Anything from nVidia or ATI's current line-up will suffice.Take the webcam, situate it somewhere dark and concealed, so that the webcam can't be easily seen, although position it so that it can get a good view of the room. In the bottom corner would be ideal. Next, install its software. If its bundled software does not support fullscreen view, google around until you find software that supports your camera, and that does support fullscreen view.Next, install your new graphics card. In the box, you will find a little yellow adaptor that plugs into the S-Vid output on the back and outputs to co-ax phono video. Plug that into it. Turn the system on. Enable the S-Vid output, and use it as a seperate display. You will now have one PC, with effectively two monitor outputs, one with the normal desktop, one with your sneakily-placed webcam running as a fullscreen application on it. What to do now is to find some way to overlay messages and images on the webcam view. "Recording", "Target: [House Address]", and "Known suspects: [your parents names]" would be ideal. Having done that, just walk away, job done. For the final step, wait patiently for your parents to be flicking through the channels one day, accidently press the wrong button, find themselves on secret hidden spy surveillence and as major international terrorist subjects, Enemy Of The State-style. It'd be awesome.And best of all, if you actually set the webcam software to record, you can post the video on YouTube so that all of us can laugh at them. Score.

very long.. but worth it :w00t:

Benjimoron;2047098

Thanks, have already got media center and that works fine. Don't think … Thanks, have already got media center and that works fine. Don't think there's any advantage with mediaportal?Second link doesn't work.Have got one of those keyboards, range is less than a meter and the touchpad is awful, thinking of sending it back!

sorry fixed link, media portal blows mce away, mce is so in ur face with connectivity and lack of customization its a pain, if u dont want TV, take it out of the menu etc, my keyboard is fine at 2metres so maybe u got something interfering with yours, mine has no other wireless kit in same room

Original Poster

maddogb;2051635

sorry fixed link, media portal blows mce away, mce is so in ur face with … sorry fixed link, media portal blows mce away, mce is so in ur face with connectivity and lack of customization its a pain, if u dont want TV, take it out of the menu etc, my keyboard is fine at 2metres so maybe u got something interfering with yours, mine has no other wireless kit in same room

Cheers, still can't get it to work tho!

What do you mean about mce, I've not had a problem with it (apart from not playing divx too well).

My keyboard may be interferring, I've got alot of wireless things, who hasn't! I'm sure it said the range was 10m when I bought it. I'm still looking for that magical long range keyboard with touchpad or trackball, if you find one let me know.

Benjimoron;2051832

Cheers, still can't get it to work tho!What do you mean about mce, I've … Cheers, still can't get it to work tho!What do you mean about mce, I've not had a problem with it (apart from not playing divx too well).My keyboard may be interferring, I've got alot of wireless things, who hasn't! I'm sure it said the range was 10m when I bought it. I'm still looking for that magical long range keyboard with touchpad or trackball, if you find one let me know.

OMG I WILL GET THAT LINK RIGHT LOL

i had loadsa probs with Media Centre Edition, but all on the tv side so may not worry you,
    but the skins and customisation for media portal is superb plus u can get it to do phone type text entry combined with the ati remote wonder, very good and has a thumbpad for mouse control u can do away with a keyboard
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1536
      2. word association Game72944192
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277963
      4. Your dream gaming set up?2658

See more discussions