Expired

Goodbye blocked/private caller ids. New service in UK launched.

Found 20th Jul 2012
I was searching for something on the lines of Trapcall, a new service has launched in the UK - Ambushcall.

Website - ambushcall.co.uk/

I keep getting quite a few pesky calls every week and this service was able to identify most of them. I even tried masking my number and calling on my other number, got a notification revealing my real number o_O

They are also working on implementing a landline solution, which will make it really useful.

Hope this helps someone. Please do leave your feedback.
Community Updates
MiscCall
28 Comments
So you are having to use a third party to screen all of your calls. Then the third party knows all about you.
People would need guarantees just what sort of data the third party would use or sell on.
im on the tps register, yet im still getting live ppi calls
@WoolyM Just sent them a mail regarding this. Let's see what they say.

@splatsplatsplat - I'm on the TPS too. Still get 3-4 calls weekly from window glazing to new doors to ppi and injury claims.

splatsplatsplat

im on the tps register, yet im still getting live ppi calls

yes, me too, also on mobile it doesnt matter if you text stop, (most of the time ur lucky not to get charged £2 for that STOP) plus they only text you back the same poop just on a different number... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
longbowassassin

have you … have you considered,http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueCall-The-Nuisance-Call-Blocker/dp/B002GP7HQM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342824062&sr=8-3

At that price, I'd rather talk to the man from Mumbai.
Just put an answerphone with screening in place. Set answerphone with a message saying all calls are screened and callers must identify themselves before you take calls

Those that dont are time wasters anyway
in_deed

@WoolyM Just sent them a mail regarding this. Let's see what they … @WoolyM Just sent them a mail regarding this. Let's see what they say.@splatsplatsplat - I'm on the TPS too. Still get 3-4 calls weekly from window glazing to new doors to ppi and injury claims.

Next time they ring get the company name and report them to TPS. That's how it works.

Also if you are on TPS be aware that you aren't protected from Market Research calls.
spookidoodles

Next time they ring get the company name and report them to TPS. That's … Next time they ring get the company name and report them to TPS. That's how it works.Also if you are on TPS be aware that you aren't protected from Market Research calls.

It cuts the number but doesnt stop them completely. I am already on TPS
Edited by: "WoolyM" 21st Jul 2012
WoolyM

It cuts the number but doesnt stop them completely. I am already on TPS

Wait, what cuts the number? This service, the machine or TPS in regards to MR?

I sorta got that you have TPS already as I am pretty sure TPS won't give a crap about someone getting calls who isn't paying for their service :P
RonChew

Lol. True

Edit: Also, how would it work with automated calls from the banks ? Like when they call to verify if the transaction was legit etc. Press 1 if it was, 2 if not, 3 if you were drunk, 4 if it was your ex-wife etc. Or even to confirm a payee.

Edited by: "in_deed" 21st Jul 2012
RonChew

And expand my vocabulary for free
i have a phone line but never connect a phone to it ( used solely for BB )

on the ONE occasion i plugged the phone in ( which was to verify my address for paypal ) the phone started to ring after 2 minutes of it being "live" twas the WWF wanting donations to look after endangered animals .. FFS
Company set up to make cold calls for profit.

Company set up to block cold calls for profit.

Company set up to help other companies circumvent blocking of cold calls for profit.

etc...etc...etc.

You gotta love capitalism. (_;)
spookidoodles

Wait, what cuts the number? This service, the machine or TPS in regards … Wait, what cuts the number? This service, the machine or TPS in regards to MR? I sorta got that you have TPS already as I am pretty sure TPS won't give a crap about someone getting calls who isn't paying for their service :P

Putting an answerphone with a screening function cuts the number of unwanted calls. Every call you answer from one of the unwanted companies is registered in some way. Even if they note what time the call is answered. That info is put on lists that is sold on to others. If it is known what times you are likely to be in then you will recieve more calls at that time.

If the answephone screens ALL calls and you only answer the ones you want to take there will be less chance that you are seen as a good telephone prospect and your number will not be passed on as readily, which is what you want to achieve.

There are of course other companies who will be prepared to test the water for themselves but if you protect your number and refuse to give it out it will reduce the number of plague calls
WoolyM

Putting an answerphone with a screening function cuts the number of … Putting an answerphone with a screening function cuts the number of unwanted calls. Every call you answer from one of the unwanted companies is registered in some way. Even if they note what time the call is answered. That info is put on lists that is sold on to others. If it is known what times you are likely to be in then you will recieve more calls at that time.If the answephone screens ALL calls and you only answer the ones you want to take there will be less chance that you are seen as a good telephone prospect and your number will not be passed on as readily, which is what you want to achieve.There are of course other companies who will be prepared to test the water for themselves but if you protect your number and refuse to give it out it will reduce the number of plague calls

exactly what I do and I rarely get more than 1 or 2 cold calls a month now.
how do you set up an answerphone to do this plz
I get inundated with cold calls and have often reported the silent ones from PPI scammers. Lately I've taken to saying " I can't take any more of these calls go away and never phone me again you are making me ill .." they've usually hung up before the end of the sentence but the volume has dropped off a lot, some days I get zero calls now, it was up to 12 on a bad day before.
katya1971

how do you set up an answerphone to do this plz

read the manual and set it to answer after 1 ring. Cold callers rarely leave a message and eventually stop ringing you
Not all answerphones have a screening function. It will depend if your model has the feature or not
With some you can only opt to have it answer or not
Edited by: "WoolyM" 21st Jul 2012
ok mine is built into phone base, panasonc model so maybe not
katya1971

ok mine is built into phone base, panasonc model so maybe not

can still set it to answer after 1 ring. friends and family will start to leave a message so you can pick up. cold callers dont and eventually stop calling.
Just heard back from the customer service dept. regarding data privacy:

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for your interest in AmbushCall! You can view our terms and conditions and privacy policy at ambushcall.co.uk. We've also provided both links below. To answer your question, your information is not shared with any third party/marketing companies.

We use the information you provide for customer support purposes and AmbushCall service capabilities.

ambushcall.co.uk/ind…php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8

ambushcall.co.uk/ind…php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7

If you require any further information, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerely,

AmbushCall
Hi - I really want to join but do not want to open a PayPal account. Can I not just make the relevant payment using a credit/debit card?

Many thanks
When my home phone became a dedicated business number, I got a new geographical number for my 'land-line' and pointed that local exchange number to a SIP address that I could answer on an Android phone whether at home, travelling in the UK or travelling overseas. One unexpected benefit was being able to see 'withheld' numbers!

My new 'land-line' cost just £3 upfront for the number (no ongoing costs) and the SIP service it points to is also free. I do not have to use any 'divert' function to reveal the caller's number, which appears on the phone's display immediately. That means there are no call diversion costs involved and my SIP client (CSipSimple) can immediately and silently block any calls I don't wish to receive (a history of the incoming call is still maintained). CSipSimple is totally free and can also record calls.

My SIP provider also notifies, by e-mail. of all incoming calls and the caller-id is contained within that notification also. My SIP provider also provides free voice-mail (sent to my e-mail address) but I can easily and automatically prevent unwanted calls being diverted to voice-mail, by modifying the SIP response code; the unwanted caller is met with total silence (no ring tone) when he makes the call.

It would appear that Ambush Call only unmasks calls from mobile numbers; my system unmasks All available numbers, no matter whether they are from mobiles, land-lines or international. Of course, 'unavailable' numbers (often used by Police) cannot be revealed and some unwanted callers use caller-id 'spoofing', making it impossible to reveal their 'true' number.

To get the same functionality, Ambush Call will charge you £24.99p/month; my only cost was the £3 one-off charge for a new phone number and zero running costs as I already had a smartphone with an unlimited data plan.
Breakfast51

When my home phone became a dedicated business number, I got a new … When my home phone became a dedicated business number, I got a new geographical number for my 'land-line' and pointed that local exchange number to a SIP address that I could answer on an Android phone whether at home, travelling in the UK or travelling overseas. One unexpected benefit was being able to see 'withheld' numbers!My new 'land-line' cost just £3 upfront for the number (no ongoing costs) and the SIP service it points to is also free. I do not have to use any 'divert' function to reveal the caller's number, which appears on the phone's display immediately. That means there are no call diversion costs involved and my SIP client (CSipSimple) can immediately and silently block any calls I don't wish to receive (a history of the incoming call is still maintained). CSipSimple is totally free and can also record calls.My SIP provider also notifies, by e-mail. of all incoming calls and the caller-id is contained within that notification also. My SIP provider also provides free voice-mail (sent to my e-mail address) but I can easily and automatically prevent unwanted calls being diverted to voice-mail, by modifying the SIP response code; the unwanted caller is met with total silence (no ring tone) when he makes the call.It would appear that Ambush Call only unmasks calls from mobile numbers; my system unmasks All available numbers, no matter whether they are from mobiles, land-lines or international. Of course, 'unavailable' numbers (often used by Police) cannot be revealed and some unwanted callers use caller-id 'spoofing', making it impossible to reveal their 'true' number.To get the same functionality, Ambush Call will charge you £24.99p/month; my only cost was the £3 one-off charge for a new phone number and zero running costs as I already had a smartphone with an unlimited data plan.

Who is your SIP provider?
danielchatfield1

Breakfast51

Last active:1 year, 10 months

danielchatfield1

chocci

Breakfast51Last active:1 year, 10 months

danielchatfield1... "Member:1 year, 9 months"

Just sayin'
Post a comment