Goodnight Professor Hawking

Found 14th MarEdited by:"OneGloveOnTheFence"
Scientist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, a spokesman for his family has said.

Professor Hawking's children, Lucy, Robert and Tim said in a statement that he had died at his home in Cambridge in the early hours of Wednesday.

They said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.

"His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.'

"We will miss him forever."

They asked for privacy but added their thanks to "everyone who has been by Professor Hawking's side and supported him - throughout his life".

The world famous physicist and cosmologist was the subject of the 2014 film The Theory Of Everything, which starred Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones.

He also performed several cameos in the US comedy series The Big Bang Theory.

Hawking contracted motor neurone disease in 1963 and was given two years to live but he went on to study at Cambridge and became one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists since Albert Einstein.

He was given more than a dozen honorary degrees and was awarded the CBE in 1982.

The University of Cambridge will open a book of condolence at Gonville and Caius College for anyone who would like to pay tribute to Hawking's life and work.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I wish I'd listened more to that wheelchair guy

R.I.P

Oh, and we all need to do what he said.

Edited by: "BillySollox" 14th Mar
Loved this sketch

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet” 💫

RIP Stephen Hawking.
RIP. Defeated all odds, pure genius.
24 Comments
I wish I'd listened more to that wheelchair guy

R.I.P

Oh, and we all need to do what he said.

Edited by: "BillySollox" 14th Mar
Loved this sketch

Did pretty good for someone expected to be dead before 40.
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet” 💫

RIP Stephen Hawking.
RIP The Hawkman
RIP. Defeated all odds, pure genius.
deleted265520
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 29 m ago

Did pretty good for someone expected to be dead before 40.

Given 2 years to live at the age of 22. Lived until 76.
Remarkable.
An inspirational man. He will be missed.
"If human life were long enough to find the ultimate theory, everything would have been solved by previous generations. Nothing would be left to be discovered." - Stephen Hawking

A brilliant message for equality and Stephen Hawking wearing Orbital light glasses, fine memories.
R.I.P. Stephen
Shocked he was so frail yet somehow seemed immortal.
theguardian.com/sci…ons

• “I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first.”
BillySollox7 h, 56 m ago

I wish I'd listened more to that wheelchair guyR.I.POh, and we all need to …I wish I'd listened more to that wheelchair guyR.I.POh, and we all need to do what he said. [Video]

"For millions of years man had lived just like the animals, then something happend which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk." "All we have to do is make sure we keep talking"

Sad loss, RIP Prof Hawkins.
33438882-OhmvE.jpgGutted 😥
RIP Sir
Stephen Hawking died on Albert Einstein birthday, which also happens to be the day we honor the mathematical constant Pi.He was also born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death.
One giant mathematical coincidence.
Rest In peace Sir. He was offered a knighthood but he refused. Truly inspirational.
larrylightweight3 h, 29 m ago

Stephen Hawking died on Albert Einstein birthday, which also happens to be …Stephen Hawking died on Albert Einstein birthday, which also happens to be the day we honor the mathematical constant Pi.He was also born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death. One giant mathematical coincidence.

It was written in the stars ;).
Brilliant, intelligent man. Did more for this world than any politician. RIP
My mate just told me both lived to the age of 76 aswel.
Edited by: "larrylightweight" 31st Mar
RIP Stephen, you are up there in heaven where you can now look much further into space. The brightest star will be shining down on all of us this evening and evermore
I'm sure he has a brand new body in heaven and has great peace
Anyone seen all the jokes flying around on social media about him after his death?

Unbelievable.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 15th Mar
Splice14th Mar

I'm sure he has a brand new body in heaven and has great peace

Like a theoretical physicist & cosmologist (read: atheist) like Professor Hawking ever believed in the afterlife
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants