Google acquire Fitbit for $2.1 Billion

Posted 1st Nov
Google have agreed to acquire the wearables company Fitbit for $2.1 billion! Source

Clearly Google knows Wear OS is not doing well. With this acquisition, Google gets a massive brand on board I reckon we will see a Fitbit Wear OS watch or maybe Google will move over to Fitbit's platform. Either way, it's looking very good for Fitbit and Wear OS users. Fitbit Pay users could be migrated to Google Pay for example, and Fitbit users could share data with all Wear OS users
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

12 Comments
More than likely it’s be a google nest watch, that lets you control your smart home from your watch including unlocking/unalarming your house
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 1st Nov
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 16:40

More than likely it’s be a google nest watch, that lets you control your s …More than likely it’s be a google nest watch, that lets you control your smart home from your watch including unlocking/unalarming your house

I really hope so, but they'll probably not use Google and Nest branding. Fitbit's brand is stronger in wearables so probably will just be a Fitbit watch, but with full Google Assistant integration and smart home control.

It's the closest we will get to the Pixel Watch!
jamie1501/11/2019 16:45

I really hope so, but they'll probably not use Google and Nest branding. …I really hope so, but they'll probably not use Google and Nest branding. Fitbit's brand is stronger in wearables so probably will just be a Fitbit watch, but with full Google Assistant integration and smart home control.It's the closest we will get to the Pixel Watch!

They might call it google fit or pixel fit
They also paid $40 million for Fossils smart watch technology and their team earlier in the year, might end up with a product that doesn’t have as many issues as you hear about with Fitbit.
cmdr_elito01/11/2019 17:34

They might call it google fit or pixel fit

I don't think so, as the Fitbit brand is more powerful for wearables. Maybe Google Fitbit Watch or something like that? Or maybe they'll continue to release Fitbit hardware products and also create a Google Fit separately as opposed to deeply integrating the company.
They bought it for the data.

Fitbit wasn't doing too well, it was going to be bought by someone. The brand will disappear, it's not a strong brand especially compared to Google.
Asura01/11/2019 18:44

They bought it for the data.Fitbit wasn't doing too well, it was going to …They bought it for the data.Fitbit wasn't doing too well, it was going to be bought by someone. The brand will disappear, it's not a strong brand especially compared to Google.

Not really. If they wanted the data they would have bought someone like Strava. Google's aim here is to get a foothold into the hardware market, Fitbit is far larger in the wearables industry. From this acquisition, Google gains a lot of experts in this industry, as well as a sizable user base.

Google's brand is stronger overall, but not in hardware.
Edited by: "jamie15" 1st Nov
jamie1501/11/2019 18:49

Not really. If they wanted the data they would have bought someone like …Not really. If they wanted the data they would have bought someone like Strava. Google's aim here is to get a foothold into the hardware market, Fitbit is far larger in the wearables industry. From this acquisition, Google gains a lot of experts in this industry, as well as a sizable user base.Google's brand is stronger overall, but not in hardware.

Yes, really. Fitbit was cheap for the amount of data it has, Google was working with the NHS, they've been involved with other health related ventures. They want to get in to the 'Health' market, it's big money.

You may like Fitbit as a brand, however, it was loosing market share and money and this was reflected in it's share price.
Asura01/11/2019 19:31

Yes, really. Fitbit was cheap for the amount of data it has, Google was …Yes, really. Fitbit was cheap for the amount of data it has, Google was working with the NHS, they've been involved with other health related ventures. They want to get in to the 'Health' market, it's big money.You may like Fitbit as a brand, however, it was loosing market share and money and this was reflected in it's share price.

I can't stand Fitbit as a brand or a company, but its brand value is very strong and the target market that gets Fitbit devices are different to the ones Google gets. Google wants Fitbit's target market, and this was the best way to get it.

I completely agree that Google want to get into the health and wearables market, that's pretty clear from the NHS pilot, from Wear OS, and also from this acquisition.

However, the data is not the main reason for this purchase. Google could obtain the data more cheaply from other sources such as Strava for cheaper. They have already stated that all Fitbit data will not be used to sell ads on Google and that's where the real value would have been for Google. Google's purchase decision is primarily to improve Google's hardware division (Google are trying to differentiate their product offering as the vast majority of income currently comes from search).
I wonder if Google might introduce some semi-competent software engineers to fix the dreadful Fitbit app. Not quite a price worth paying for handing over so many health details to the Google behemoth, but a silver lining at least.
Ferris01/11/2019 22:31

I wonder if Google might introduce some semi-competent software engineers …I wonder if Google might introduce some semi-competent software engineers to fix the dreadful Fitbit app. Not quite a price worth paying for handing over so many health details to the Google behemoth, but a silver lining at least.

I definitely think so. I've used so many apps and can definitely say Google's are one of the best. If they integrate Fitbit into the company deeply then I think they will allow Wear OS users to join leaderboards with Fitbit users (which is one of the major reasons people seem to choose Fitbit, as their friends are also on the leaderboard).
Wouldnt be surprised if google got fitbit for a relative bargain. I have had terrible experiences with their products having returned 2 of their versa models within weeks of purchase. Bought one of their bands afterwoods and it also developed a technical fault with heart monitor. Might get a garmin next but limited in the end as i wont buy apple products.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants