Google chromecast audio... useless? or am i too supid to set up?

Found 11th Mar 2016
Hi

I have a question. I have recently purchased a google chrome cast audio and I am having some trouble setting it up. One big bummer is that youtube doesn't even work on this but hey, apparently sound quality is good. So I tried to play a song on my phone and I get info 'cant play song add it via google music manager', so i downloaded app for music manager, logged in to my google account and... it asks me to set up google music on web browser. Well done google, pure simplicity.

Anyway, then I went to website to set up google play music, and it asks me if i want to try unlimited for 3 months (then a hefty 10quid/month charge), so i said no thanks it redirected me to payment screen with 0 to pay I say yeah ok, and then it goes in a loop back to try unlimited. I can't find a workaround, I can't play music on chrome cast... that thing is utterly useless?
Community Updates
AskChromecast
15 Comments
won't allcast work with the Chromecast audio??
just download that and play your songs through there
stefromuk

won't allcast work with the Chromecast audio??just download that and play … won't allcast work with the Chromecast audio??just download that and play your songs through there

Yeah but thats not how it should work, why they offer free account if you can't even use it because it asks you to get unlimited anyway? I guess I'm gonnaa change back to good old bluetooth adapter instead of this chromeshhhhite if i can't find a way to fix it?
you can do it with a free Google music account that's what I use with the songs I've uploaded to it.
Are you trying to sign up to it on a mobile or tablet? I've seen this happen before on me when my trial ran out I had to go onto the full web site
These things confuse me too but I betcha the account IS free but the music ISN'T.
Does it say any different any where?
stefromuk

you can do it with a free Google music account that's what I use with the … you can do it with a free Google music account that's what I use with the songs I've uploaded to it.Are you trying to sign up to it on a mobile or tablet? I've seen this happen before on me when my trial ran out I had to go onto the full web site

Yeah thats what i mean i can't seem to use free subscription. when i select that it just redirects to 'try unlimited for free'. Get a grip google, i don't want to try it...

Ive done it n safari and chrome on mac.

Edit: Ok I have found a solution. I have taken the trial and it worked fine and then I cancelled my subscription. Now seems to work fine but still a bit naff the way it was handled.
Edited by: "Elbandito" 11th Mar 2016
Have you managed to play your own music on your own mobile with google play music since playing the free subscription?
I use spotify and have no problems with it I have several chromecast around the house and can play them independently or as a group. I think it's great
CHROMECAST AUDIO can stream any music from your ANDROID device including Spotify, deezer, Tidal. Anything that you can play as AUDIO ( even Video audio) can be CAST to CHROMECAST audip
If you have Google music then you need to rip one of your own cds. I rip to flac format using some free software from Internet . Then upload to Google music which will covert to mp3 for you and put in you Google music albums section. To test your chromecast.. You need to go to the... albums shop.... on Google music where you see the prices of the tracks. Don't buy but click on it. The track should play for free. It don't work like the free streaming services like Spotify though from what I see? unless you pay which is not what you want to do. That's what I found anyway. I use Spotify for free streaming and google music for storing my ripped cds and buying music. You should be able to browse music shop ok. I get in from Gmail on pc. Top right you can get to. Google drive. Goggle music l, Google documents and so on. As long as you logged in to Google on pc. Get that sorted then moved to app
richardcharles1234

CHROMECAST AUDIO can stream any music from your ANDROID device including … CHROMECAST AUDIO can stream any music from your ANDROID device including Spotify, deezer, Tidal. Anything that you can play as AUDIO ( even Video audio) can be CAST to CHROMECAST audip

Does it work with Spotify free?
I works really well for me with the Android BBC iplayer radio app for both live and listen again programmes. This app has its own casting symbol.
Elbandito

this chromeshhhhite

Based on your comments I think we all know the answer to the initial question.
ipswich78

Based on your comments I think we all know the answer to the initial … Based on your comments I think we all know the answer to the initial question.

Quite honestly I recently relocated rooms in the same flat and as I moved away from the router, the chrome cast was on the verge of unusable. Nearly all time it was so laggy (with music going on and off every few secs) and often it said 'no device found'. I have come back to my old lg bluetooth adapter and it works flawlessly:)
Elbandito

Quite honestly I recently relocated rooms in the same flat and as I moved … Quite honestly I recently relocated rooms in the same flat and as I moved away from the router, the chrome cast was on the verge of unusable. Nearly all time it was so laggy (with music going on and off every few secs) and often it said 'no device found'. I have come back to my old lg bluetooth adapter and it works flawlessly:)

Could it be faulty? I've been using both versions of the Chromecast for a long time now and never had any major issues with either.
wayners

If you have Google music then you need to rip one of your own cds. I rip … If you have Google music then you need to rip one of your own cds. I rip to flac format using some free software from Internet . Then upload to Google music which will covert to mp3 for you and put in you Google music albums section. To test your chromecast.. You need to go to the... albums shop.... on Google music where you see the prices of the tracks. Don't buy but click on it. The track should play for free. It don't work like the free streaming services like Spotify though from what I see? unless you pay which is not what you want to do. That's what I found anyway. I use Spotify for free streaming and google music for storing my ripped cds and buying music. You should be able to browse music shop ok. I get in from Gmail on pc. Top right you can get to. Google drive. Goggle music l, Google documents and so on. As long as you logged in to Google on pc. Get that sorted then moved to app

Just to add to this - you can have music on your phone from any source and Google Play will play it fine but unless the music is uploaded to your account as described in this post then it will not allow you to cast it. It's a bit of a pain but once you have it all uploaded to Google (which is free for up to 10,000 songs) then it'll work totally fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants