Google DNS on Consoles

Found 3rd Oct 2014
If anyone would like to speed up their consoles loading time & connection speed(did both for me)
May or may not work the same for everyone & not sure what it's like on Sony consoles due to not having them.

See Reddit link >>‌ reddit.com/r/x…by/

Xbox 360
From the main Xbox 360 menu select "Settings."
Select "System."
Select "Network settings."
Select "Wireless or Wired"
Select "Configure network."
Go to the "Basic settings" tab
Select "DNS Settings."
Select "Manual."
Set primary DNS as "8.8.8.8" and secondary DNS as "8.8.4.4".

Xbox One

From the Xbox One home screen, go to Settings > Network > Advanced settings > DNS settings > Manual. (If Settings doesn't appear on the home screen, select My Games & Apps, then Settings.)
From there, enter the Primary DNS as "8.8.8.8" and the Secondary DNS as "8.8.4.4"

PlayStation 3

From the PS3 Menu (aka XMB) choose: Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Settings -> Custom

Set up these settings so they match the following:

Connection Method: Choose Wireless or Wired ... however you connect

For Wireless:
WLAN Settings: Select Scan > Select your network
WLAN Security Setting: Select the security setting for your network
WEP/WPA Key: Enter your network password

For Wired:
Operation Mode (Auto-Detect or Manual Settings): Auto-Detect

Then:
IP Address Setting: Automatic
DHCP Host name: Do Not Set
DNS Settings: Manual
Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4
MTU: Automatic
Proxy Server: Do Not Use
UPnP: Enable

Press X to save.

PlayStation 4

From the PS4 Menu (XMB), scroll right to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection > Select either Wi-Fi or LAN cable (Wired)
Wi-Fi: Custom > Select Network > Enter Password (automatically saved if you are already using this network) > IP Address Settings (automatic) > DHCP Host Name (Do Not Use) > DNS Settings (Manual)
LAN (Wired): Custom > IP Address Settings (Automatic) > DHCP Host Name (Do Not Use) > DNS Settings (Manual)
From there, enter the Primary DNS as "8.8.8.8" and the Secondary DNS as "8.8.4.4"
Next > MTU Settings (Automatic) > Proxy Server (Do Not Use) > Test Internet Connection

1. Misc
  2. Console
17 Comments

Banned

Might be an idea to take a note of the original DNS setting first in case you need to put it back. The DNS code indicates what country you are in apart from, no doubt, other things

Original Poster

Just set it back to automatic. Changing the DNS helped my Virgin connection alot, should be on 152Mb but was only getting 32Mb wireless. changed the dns to google and it trebled

Sp33dy89

Just set it back to automatic. Changing the DNS helped my Virgin … Just set it back to automatic. Changing the DNS helped my Virgin connection alot, should be on 152Mb but was only getting 32Mb wireless. changed the dns to google and it trebled

coincidence

Original Poster

rev6

coincidence

Virgin were puzzled when I told them. I call BS

Sp33dy89

Virgin were puzzled when I told them. I call BS

It's not ****.

how u find out the speed of the console

Banned

dotty1998

The DNS code indicates what country you are in apart from, no doubt, … The DNS code indicates what country you are in apart from, no doubt, other things

Not necessarily true. Google DNS servers are pretty sophisticated, if you're in the UK, you'll connect to Google's UK DNS servers.

sakkyptinky

use http://www.speedtest.net

Gets banned after posting one comment. It wasn't worth registering now, was it?

While doing DNS tests, the default one using the router (192.168.0.1) always comes out the quickest.

Original Poster

rev6

While doing DNS tests, the default one using the router (192.168.0.1) … While doing DNS tests, the default one using the router (192.168.0.1) always comes out the quickest.

Each to their own but it's helped me so thought I'd share with people here.

Sp33dy89

Each to their own but it's helped me so thought I'd share with people … Each to their own but it's helped me so thought I'd share with people here.

No worries. Just using Google for my DNS is pushing it too far

Original Poster

rev6

No worries. Just using Google for my DNS is pushing it too far

reddit.com/r/x…by/

Just found the link for where I heard about it

Sp33dy89

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2hdzc6/some_guy_was_able_to_speed_up_his_xbox_ones_ui_by/ Just found the link for where I heard about it

Sure, but changing your DNS doesn't just mean changing it to Google's. You can let the router do it, or OpenDNS.

dcx_badass

Changing DNS shouldn't really increase the speed, but will probably … Changing DNS shouldn't really increase the speed, but will probably increase your ping which matters more for games anyway.

I guess it completely depends on the DNS server used. If you go to Google.co.uk for example and you're using a server in Fiji for example, then your speed will affected.

LOL at this thread

DNS does nothing more than lookup name to ip address and can no way help with a internet speed test or ping

You may get a ms quicker name lookup if you are lucky.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants