Original Poster

[url]www.google.co.uk[/url]

probabbly just doing it because of the clocks changing
oh just read, it's to promote turning out lights!! saving energy

it's to do with the green awareness

Banned

stora;1796504

[url]www.google.co.uk[/url]

Done what? Change the background and image? All the time. (Just not normally jet black!)

bellabonkers;1796508

probabbly just doing it because of the clocks changing

energy conservation awareness

Geeky stat: light coloured backgrounds on your computer monitor can use up to 20% more energy than dark colours :-D

Anybody gonna turn their lights off tomorrow?

Is tonight the night the clocks go forward?

ryancs;1796572

Is tonight the night the clocks go forward?

sunday night

actually monday morning lol

shanecr;1796584

sunday nightactually monday morning lol

Saturday night?

2008Clocks go forwardSunday 30 March 01:00 GMT* (02:00 BST)* As the UK is … 2008Clocks go forwardSunday 30 March 01:00 GMT* (02:00 BST)* As the UK is presently on GMT, we change our clocks at 1 am on Sunday 30 March.

It is Sunday cheers anyway:thumbsup:

JimmyW;1796522

Geeky stat: light coloured backgrounds on your computer monitor can use … Geeky stat: light coloured backgrounds on your computer monitor can use up to 20% more energy than dark colours :-D

ummm

Google

As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy; modern … As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy; modern displays use the same amount of power regardless of what they display.

nacider;1796566

Anybody gonna turn their lights off tomorrow?

Ill be driving between 8-9pm but I suppose ill give it a go :whistling:

shanecr;1796618

ummm

Oh well, umm, someone told me that 10 years ago :whistling:

JimmyW;1796655

Oh well, umm, someone told me that 10 years ago :whistling:

lol CRT rules!!

I'm a maintenance engineer on the runways at heathrow, Well I suppose turning the lights off may have a slight effect on the awareness!

Banned

yawn lame "green" gimmick

Original Poster

jtx;1796634

Ill be driving between 8-9pm but I suppose ill give it a go :whistling:

:giggle:

The site says:

"Google users in the United Kingdom will notice today that we "turned the lights out" on the Google.co.uk homepage as a gesture to raise awareness of a worldwide energy conservation effort called Earth Hour. As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy; modern displays use the same amount of power regardless of what they display. However, you can do something to reduce the energy consumption of your home PC by joining the Climate Savers Computing Initiative.

On Saturday, March 29, 2008, Earth Hour invites people around the world to turn off their lights for one hour – from 8:00pm to 9:00pm in their local time zone. On this day, cities around the world, including Copenhagen, Chicago, Melbourne, Dubai, and Tel Aviv, will hold events to acknowledge their commitment to energy conservation.

Given our company's commitment to environmental awareness and energy efficiency, we strongly support the Earth Hour campaign, and have darkened our homepage today to help spread awareness of what we hope will be a highly successful global event.

How green can you be? The UK's carbon footprint is over 500 million tonnes of CO2 per year. Individuals account for 45% of this. Calculate your carbon footprint and find out how you can reduce it by turning off unused lights and other carbon-reducing actions."

I pay for my leccy and i'll use it how I see fit. Thank you and goodnight

blackle.com/

Dum-dum-duuuum

freeDUMB;1796758

http://www.blackle.com/Dum-dum-duuuum

treehugger.com/

Shengis;1796750

I pay for my leccy and i'll use it how I see fit. Thank you and goodnight … I pay for my leccy and i'll use it how I see fit. Thank you and goodnight

jees, was going to post some clever **** pic of electric nippleclamps or something, but all I can say is don't google image 'electric torture' with safesearch off and look at the last picture on the lop line of results... I don't know if i'm going to be able to plug my speakers in ever again....

(btw car lights joke is genius, that's logged in the brain for the next argument about saving energy)

Shengis;1796766

http://www.treehugger.com/

Hope that's not directed at me.

I couldn't care less about energy saving. Where I live the bills are inclusive of utilities. I use as much as I can to get my moneys worth :thumbsup:

The " Americans " really should not be preaching " green " to us, it is them that drive around in 5 litre gas guzzlers.:x

they also have the highest percentage of green car ownership now, even if it is all hollywood stars who have a bunch of other cars and jet all around the world...

freeDUMB;1796812

Hope that's not directed at me.I couldn't care less about energy saving. … Hope that's not directed at me.I couldn't care less about energy saving. Where I live the bills are inclusive of utilities. I use as much as I can to get my moneys worth :thumbsup:

Not at all mate, I quoted yours because I found it rather amusing that if you click the About link on the blackle site it says this:

In January 2007 a blog post titled Black Google Would Save 750 … In January 2007 a blog post titled Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year proposed the theory that a black version of the Google search engine would save a fair bit of energy due to the popularity of the search engine. Since then there has been skepticism about the significance of the energy savings that can be achieved and the cost in terms of readability of black web pages.We believe that there is value in the concept because even if the energy savings are small, they all add up. Secondly we feel that seeing Blackle every time we load our web browser reminds us that we need to keep taking small steps to save energy.

Then a bit further down it recommend treehugger, which strangely is a very bright looking site:whistling:

There are a lot of great web sites about saving energy and being more … There are a lot of great web sites about saving energy and being more environmentally friendly. They are full of great tips covering the little things that we can all do to make a difference today. Try Blackling "energy saving tips" or visit treehugger.com a great blog dedicated to environmental awareness.

treehugger.com - a great blog dedicated to environmental awareness.
Had a look - can confirm that it's all eco-babble as is much of this green/ fobbing off your 'carbon footprint' stuff.
Let's have earth hour between 2 and 3 tonight, or whenever it is that the clocks change.

The thought behind it is correct on CRT monitors, but nowadays, with 80% of people using LCD's, it makes absolutely no difference at all

For everyone's benefit
Don't forget to turn out the lights, even in the club, that'd be great
Eat in the dark restaurant

4 pints of lager in the club then lights out...

Lol, i posted this when it was 1st planned, ]7 months ago

boydent999;1799588

Lol, i posted this when it was 1st planned, ]7 months ago

it would make no difference to City if the lights had been out today

Usha Rocks;1799597

it would make no difference to City if the lights had been out today

Lol, pains me to say it, but i already said poor we were today :-( Mind you, least we know which division we'll be in next year, do you?

What are we supposed to do with the lights out?

Surely we're going to need the tv on so that we can see what we're doing?

Do you think it's being done tonight to take advantage of the clocks going forward? ie people will be going to bed earlier. Also they may quote that from midday to midday there was less power usage than normal, remember that there are only 23 hours in that time frame compared to the usual 24.

Original Poster

Benjimoron;1799794

What are we supposed to do with the lights out?.

your either too old or too young to know:)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247666
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3472
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769600
    4. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz33

See more discussions