Google Home/Amazon echo thread

So I've just taken delivery of my Google Home speaker and I'm pretty impressed! While it's a great piece of kit I am still learning what it can and can't do, how to set it up properly etc. So I thought I'd create a thread for fellow smart speaker owners (or potential owners) to exchange tips and share their funny questions and replies you've had!

70 Comments

Banned

I hope you enjoy it.

Let me know when you put it on ebay & how much you get for it.

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you put it on ebay & how much you … I hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you put it on ebay & how much you get for it.

You know this is the truth I'm always first on the bandwagon and first to fall off! The loft is a bandwagon graveyard

Banned

ei8hty5ive

You know this is the truth I'm always first on the bandwagon and … You know this is the truth I'm always first on the bandwagon and first to fall off! The loft is a bandwagon graveyard

Sorry mate. I just see it as tomorrows junk. No offence though.

I've got an Echo Dot. Bought it thinking it would need linked to a speaker, not realising it was a speaker.
As a speaker it isn't great but for the kitchen more than practical. When doing dinner, baking, working with raw meat. It's a really handy thing to have.
Will I fill the house with voice sensitive tech, probably not. Though a fart sensing air freshener would be fantastic.

YouDontWantToKnow

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you put it on ebay & how much you … I hope you enjoy it. Let me know when you put it on ebay & how much you get for it.

Oneday77

Though a fart sensing air freshener would be fantastic.

Have you kept the receipt? Might be worth returning and trialling the YDWTK Smart Bot. Reviews state 24 hour availability of rapid responses, content reliability said to be erratic.

Look no further. Fart Smart functionality is now available in all scents including the market-leading 'Fruity' version.

I have the full size Echo and I use it all the time. It's in the kitchen as per the previous poster I'm catching up on lots of Audible books, I also use it for the shopping list and timer.

Loads of radio stations available via Tunein (although sometimes not the one you want - they do appear to come and go for no apparent reason). Tunein also provides podcasts, where it can be a bit patchy and quite slow to update with new episodes.
The "Free" Prime music is pretty good actually and Spotify support is good although its a bit annoying to have to keep telling it to look for X from Spotify. That's a problem with other addins too - My Nest thermostat is in the bedroom, I have to tell it to set the Bedroom temperature to X. Some of the less well thought through add ins just read a story from an RSS feed, so at the bottom of the article they then continue with all of the other headlines, but there is no way to hear them.

I imagine the Google version to be much better for answering questions - When I ask Alexa how long to boil an egg (for instance - I know the answer to this one ) she will either tell me she can't answer, or to look at the suggestions on the app. As a comparison, when I unlock my phone and ask "OK" Google the same thing I get a proper answer " For soft boiled... For hard boiled etc...
It's all cloud based to a surprising degree - even a timer doesn't work if the Internet is down (OK, you couldn't set one because the voice recognition is in the cloud, but it won't even go off when the time runs out). That does mean though that they can improve it without a hardware upgrade...

Original Poster

Oneday77

I've got an Echo Dot. Bought it thinking it would need linked to a … I've got an Echo Dot. Bought it thinking it would need linked to a speaker, not realising it was a speaker. As a speaker it isn't great but for the kitchen more than practical. When doing dinner, baking, working with raw meat. It's a really handy thing to have. Will I fill the house with voice sensitive tech, probably not. Though a fart sensing air freshener would be fantastic.

How did I not know about the fact sensing air freshener?! That would make my life complete! I'm liked the Echo but I decided to go for the Google for its potential future search capabilities and weren't keen on the Amazon trying to make me buy stuff! The speakers on the Home are pretty good, Beats Pill good (I. E. Average/no bad) but I find it a bit to bassy.

Original Poster

Boringgit

I have the full size Echo and I use it all the time. It's in the kitchen … I have the full size Echo and I use it all the time. It's in the kitchen as per the previous poster I'm catching up on lots of Audible books, I also use it for the shopping list and timer. Loads of radio stations available via Tunein (although sometimes not the one you want - they do appear to come and go for no apparent reason). Tunein also provides podcasts, where it can be a bit patchy and quite slow to update with new episodes.The "Free" Prime music is pretty good actually and Spotify support is good although its a bit annoying to have to keep telling it to look for X from Spotify. That's a problem with other addins too - My Nest thermostat is in the bedroom, I have to tell it to set the Bedroom temperature to X. Some of the less well thought through add ins just read a story from an RSS feed, so at the bottom of the article they then continue with all of the other headlines, but there is no way to hear them.I imagine the Google version to be much better for answering questions - When I ask Alexa how long to boil an egg (for instance - I know the answer to this one ) she will either tell me she can't answer, or to look at the suggestions on the app. As a comparison, when I unlock my phone and ask "OK" Google the same thing I get a proper answer " For soft boiled... For hard boiled etc...It's all cloud based to a surprising degree - even a timer doesn't work if the Internet is down (OK, you couldn't set one because the voice recognition is in the cloud, but it won't even go off when the time runs out). That does mean though that they can improve it without a hardware upgrade...

I've found quite a few time that even simple questions can throw it and, I guess, because it's an American unit not all the functions work perfectly like if I ask it how long to get somewhere it struggles but strangely, if you ask where a place is it will tell you the address and distance. In that way, I think the Echo has a head start + calling Alexa is much cooler than barking Google

Edited by: "ei8hty5ive" 19th Feb

Boringgit

I have the full size Echo and I use it all the time. It's in the kitchen … I have the full size Echo and I use it all the time. It's in the kitchen as per the previous poster I'm catching up on lots of Audible books, I also use it for the shopping list and timer. Loads of radio stations available via Tunein (although sometimes not the one you want - they do appear to come and go for no apparent reason). Tunein also provides podcasts, where it can be a bit patchy and quite slow to update with new episodes.The "Free" Prime music is pretty good actually and Spotify support is good although its a bit annoying to have to keep telling it to look for X from Spotify. That's a problem with other addins too - My Nest thermostat is in the bedroom, I have to tell it to set the Bedroom temperature to X. Some of the less well thought through add ins just read a story from an RSS feed, so at the bottom of the article they then continue with all of the other headlines, but there is no way to hear them.I imagine the Google version to be much better for answering questions - When I ask Alexa how long to boil an egg (for instance - I know the answer to this one ) she will either tell me she can't answer, or to look at the suggestions on the app. As a comparison, when I unlock my phone and ask "OK" Google the same thing I get a proper answer " For soft boiled... For hard boiled etc...It's all cloud based to a surprising degree - even a timer doesn't work if the Internet is down (OK, you couldn't set one because the voice recognition is in the cloud, but it won't even go off when the time runs out). That does mean though that they can improve it without a hardware upgrade...

Why not install the google skill? alexamods.com/gui…ll/

SusieM

]Why not install the google skill? … ]Why not install the google skill? http://alexamods.com/guide-install-ask-google-alexa-skill/

Wow - that is about the most useful thing i've read on this site all year

Having to create an AWS account is a bit of a faff, but as it happens I bought an AWS course on Udemy a few months ago and didn't get around to starting it - this could be the push I need

Cheers again!

SusieM

Why not install the google skill? … Why not install the google skill? http://alexamods.com/guide-install-ask-google-alexa-skill/

Thank you!!!

the amazon web skills needs alot of info about you

BTW do you include the zero on the phone number as it is not ringing?

How long did it take to come through?

trott3r

the amazon web skills needs alot of info about you :(BTW do you include … the amazon web skills needs alot of info about you :(BTW do you include the zero on the phone number as it is not ringing?How long did it take to come through?

iirc it was working within a couple of minutes. Yes there are some hoops to jump though to set up the free account with Amazon.
I honestly cant remember the sequence of setting the account up, but not sure what you mean about the phone not ringing, you do have to follow the instructions for these skills and sometimes change the area you live in to make them work - either Virginia or Ireland.

Got it working just needed to drop the zero.

Used uk as region tho

SusieM

Why not install the google skill? … Why not install the google skill? http://alexamods.com/guide-install-ask-google-alexa-skill/

Wow thanks for this!

Wow that took a while twenty odd steps

Got it working though

I've got a dot in the living room and an echo in the kitchen, I mostly use them for home automation, controlling my lighting, heating and home entertainment (tv / soundbar / sky box). IFTTT integration is a really useful feature too!
Edited by: "DVS_Dee" 19th Feb

Was all for buying the Google Home as I have Nest as well as Hue lighting but read an article regarding which system will last longest and it seemed to suggest Echo is the likeliest based on the inability for Google to naturally generate revenue from them after initial purchase whereas Echo is tied to Amazon and is the sales gift that will keep giving for them.

SusieM

just set it all up on my dot, works a charm, very impressed cheers

Which magazine did a review of smart hubs and thought they were not complete as yet and so none got a best buy.

However the best ones were the samsung hub and amazon echo

mk8

Was all for buying the Google Home as I have Nest as well as Hue lighting … Was all for buying the Google Home as I have Nest as well as Hue lighting but read an article regarding which system will last longest and it seemed to suggest Echo is the likeliest based on the inability for Google to naturally generate revenue from them after initial purchase whereas Echo is tied to Amazon and is the sales gift that will keep giving for them.

Sounds about right

I bought an Echo, then bought the samsung hub to go with it. I went for the samsung because it is open source and you can directly control some of the other manufacturers goodies. I have an osram Lightify and two wemo bulb controlled without any other hardware needed.

Original Poster

I'm trying to figure out what brand of hub and bulbs for smart lighting. What are you guys using?

ei8hty5ive

I'm trying to figure out what brand of hub and bulbs for smart lighting. … I'm trying to figure out what brand of hub and bulbs for smart lighting. What are you guys using?

Philips Hue & Osram Lightify (also got a few hive bulbs but will be phasing them out in favour of Hue).

Original Poster

DVS_Dee

Philips Hue & Osram Lightify (also got a few hive bulbs but will be … Philips Hue & Osram Lightify (also got a few hive bulbs but will be phasing them out in favour of Hue).

I can't figure out which ones to go for but I'm staying for Philip. What makes them better or worse than, say, hive bulbs or wemos?

ei8hty5ive

I can't figure out which ones to go for but I'm staying for Philip. What … I can't figure out which ones to go for but I'm staying for Philip. What makes them better or worse than, say, hive bulbs or wemos?

I find the Hue bulbs more responsive than the others, also the apps pretty well polished and has better native integrations with other home automation devices. The hue app also works with the Lightify bulbs so I don't need an additional hub.
Edited by: "DVS_Dee" 20th Feb

We have the Echo in the living room and our young daughter loves asking it to tell her a joke, most times she just laughs at what she doesn't understand, and over times she understands

I was going to purchase a dot for our bedroom, but changed my mind when using the demo stand in Currys, the dot just doesn't have a good enough speaker and there isnt any base, unlike its bigger brother.

First thing I did was look up some YouTube videos on different questions etc, one of the great things is listening to music. We were looking for an average stereo for the living room anyway and when I heard how good the speaker was in the Echo I just had to order it

Great price of kit and the kids love it!

Original Poster

saxo_appeal

We have the Echo in the living room and our young daughter loves asking … We have the Echo in the living room and our young daughter loves asking it to tell her a joke, most times she just laughs at what she doesn't understand, and over times she understands I was going to purchase a dot for our bedroom, but changed my mind when using the demo stand in Currys, the dot just doesn't have a good enough speaker and there isnt any base, unlike its bigger brother. First thing I did was look up some YouTube videos on different questions etc, one of the great things is listening to music. We were looking for an average stereo for the living room anyway and when I heard how good the speaker was in the Echo I just had to order it :)Great price of kit and the kids love it!

I've had the unit a few days now and I'm still loving the speaker! I honestly think I will use it regular and will fare much better than my smart watch and 3d TV! Haha

I bought a dot as I love gadgets but I don't use it much. Be interesting to hear what others do.

Any deals on smart bulbs? I don't fancy spending £50 just so I don't have to flick a switch.

Will sub this thread.

Noticed this deal that deserves a little more heat than it's getting. Smart lightbulb for <£10.

GlentoranMark

I bought a dot as I love gadgets but I don't use it much. Be interesting … I bought a dot as I love gadgets but I don't use it much. Be interesting to hear what others do.Any deals on smart bulbs? I don't fancy spending £50 just so I don't have to flick a switch.Will sub this thread.

I just ordered some coloured bulbs and light strips from gearbest, to have a play with.

Like you, I don't want to spend a lot of money to experiment with them. so will give these ago and see what they are like.
Edited by: "Deedie" 27th Feb

Original Poster

Deedie

I just ordered some coloured bulbs and light strips from gearbest, to … I just ordered some coloured bulbs and light strips from gearbest, to have a play with. Like you, I don't want to spend a lot of money to experiment with them. so will give these ago and see what they are like.

I want to try these first too but I'm having trouble finding bulbs with Bayonet fittings... I'm also not sure if they work with Google home, I knew I should have bought the echo haha

ei8hty5ive

I want to try these first too but I'm having trouble finding bulbs with … I want to try these first too but I'm having trouble finding bulbs with Bayonet fittings... I'm also not sure if they work with Google home, I knew I should have bought the echo haha

Hi. I'm sure you can get some bayonet to e27 adapters, i have seen IKEA mentioned a few times for cheap ones. Then you can buy whatever bulbs you like. I have 2 of the yeelight bulbs and they work really well with Alexa. Cheers Si

Original Poster

God damn it. I gave in an spent 130 quid on the hue lights at BT store. I'm such a easy sell.

bah Tried to link the living colour lamps to phillips hue and now my light bulbs dont work.
Part of the youtube video was reseting the bridge.
Since then i cant control my lights.

I have been in conversation with Phillips for 4 days doing basic diagnostics.
While the responder is obviously from india at least i am getting a response from Phillips unlike Shure who just dont reply after an initial support ticket.
Edited by: "trott3r" 3rd Mar

Original Poster

trott3r

bah Tried to link the living colour lamps to phillips hue and now my … bah Tried to link the living colour lamps to phillips hue and now my light bulbs dont work.Part of the youtube video was reseting the bridge.Since then i cant control my lights.I have been in conversation with Phillips for 4 days doing basic diagnostics.While the responder is obviously from india at least i am getting a response from Phillips unlike Shure who just dont reply after an initial support ticket.

Have you got it sorted yet? My hue bulbs come tomorrow so I'll tell you how it goes. I've been trying around with the idea of buying an Echo too for the living room... Um

I have living colours as well as hue.

If you dont reset the hub you should be okay.
It worked for me until i started playing around with the living colours lamps.

No reply since friday - i guess they are off at the weekend

Original Poster

trott3r

I have living colours as well as hue.If you dont reset the hub you should … I have living colours as well as hue.If you dont reset the hub you should be okay.It worked for me until i started playing around with the living colours lamps.No reply since friday - i guess they are off at the weekend

Got the lamps today and they're great. Nice and bright. The setup was easy too. Had it all set up and working on the Google Home in around 20 mins. Fingers crossed they stay working!

Original Poster

The hub voice controls are a bit hit and miss at the moment. I think i may have set it up wrong or something. Thinking of deleting all the connections and resetting again tomorrow

GlentoranMark

Noticed this deal that deserves a little more heat than it's getting. … Noticed this deal that deserves a little more heat than it's getting. Smart lightbulb for <£10.

My bulb arrived today, that must be a record from China for me. I don't have the bayonet converter but will buy one over the weekend. Instructions are in Chinese so I haven't a clue how to set this up but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Will keep everyone posted.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1120
    2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4412062
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764685
    4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work66

See more discussions