Google Home/Mini or Amazon Echo

Found 21st Nov 2017
decisions decisions. ive been using assistant on my phone for my home automation but really tempted by the offers. just not sure which one I should go for. looking at long term. I'd say im more baked in the google eco system with the whole family being android users.

but echo seems to be ahead of the curve with regards to functionality of the echo, with the number of skills being released for the device. just not sure which to go for. ive also got chromecasts veideo and audio set up in the house and with amazon and google not playing ball together, again, swaying towards the home/mini as that allows me to control those devices.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I have had 6 echos including 4 dots I don't have any now I now have a Google Home and find it far better in every way. The sound and integration is far better than the Echo. Playback of music is far superior than the Echo and setting up went smoothly unlike the Echos plus the AI seems more natural. I doubt I would get a mini but see how it goes. The only thing that annoyed me was prior to purchase I was checking for specs and a couple of sites state you can stream from the Home to external BT Speakers but you cant. There is BT but you can only stream from say a phone to the Home so you can use it as a BT speaker. Luckily the Home is sufficient as a stand a lone speaker so no real need to hook up and external one.
Edited by: "caverncity" 21st Nov 2017
Original Poster
caverncity16 m ago

I have had 6 echos including 4 dots I don't have any now I now have a …I have had 6 echos including 4 dots I don't have any now I now have a Google Home and find it far better in every way. The sound and integration is far better than the Echo. Playback of music is far superior than the Echo and setting up went smoothly unlike the Echos plus the AI seems more natural. I doubt I would get a mini but see how it goes. The only thing that annoyed me was prior to purchase I was checking for specs and a couple of sites state you can stream from the Home to external BT Speakers but you cant. There is BT but you can only stream from say a phone to the Home so you can use it as a BT speaker. Luckily the Home is sufficient as a stand a lone speaker so no real need to hook up and external one.

I've got yeelights and hive heating, plus chromecast video and audio so I do want to get into basic voice automation control.

Just thinking which I should pluck for. Is there a big difference in using assistant on the phone and using the home/mini? Does the home/mini give more options and uses?

£35 is a very good deal. Got the echo dot last year and returned it after 48hrs. Primarily because I didn't have any voice activation stuff to use.
I only have HUE lights so can only comment on them. Setting up was a lot easier than the DOT and when using voice commands I dont have to shout at the HOME whilst music is playing plus it reacts quicker to my voice commands. I only got it yesterday and wont be sending it back it impressed me that much where as the echo was a pain from the beginning. Amazon took years to get theirs right and they still have yet to do that whereas Google have done well on their first go so future updates should go well too. There are some really good reviews on youtube but I still kept an open mind in case they where paid reviews. I very much doubt I would ever get another Echo especially after the ECHO 2 that was awful, you are meant to improve on your first model not make it worse as Amazon did. Also you can use the free version of spotify and play your own music that you have uploaded to google music on the Home unlike the Echo so theres a saving straight away.
My grandmother recently bought an Amazon Echo Dot (yes she does like tech more than other grandparents!) and it’s more of a gimmick than anything else for her (though she does use it for reminders etc), however for you it would be a good thing to have (especially now they’re reduced) but I would go with the Google Home Mini since you have Chromecasts.

However, Amazon Echo Dot does have its advantages such as constantly being updated, not being like Siri or something in terms of when she doesn’t know the answer, and it is the perfect mix of fun and usability (wrong word but my brain won’t remember the right word to use).
I have alexa and it's great but I regret not getting google home instead
Original Poster
murtgurge7 m ago

I have alexa and it's great but I regret not getting google home instead

How come?
EN1GMA3 m ago

How come?

Potentially, Google home should be well ahead soon but that all depends on whether Google put the time and effort in. They don't seem to support their products a lot of the time.
Original Poster
ianhookk1 m ago

Potentially, Google home should be well ahead soon but that all depends on …Potentially, Google home should be well ahead soon but that all depends on whether Google put the time and effort in. They don't seem to support their products a lot of the time.

To which I've complained to them many times.
EN1GMA6 m ago

How come?

tired of how many times I ask a question and it can't figure it out, if you're asking stuff about like "what time does argos close" it's got you, and sometimes it will get local businesses right, but many times it won't

then almost every random question you ask it just says it doesn't know, like if you say "why is my egg green" it won't know, and why would it right. but google can answer it no problem

essentially google search is what I wish it had, and there are hacky ways to add it but it's not worth the effort
I have a few echos and really like them, I found them easy to setup. It's pretty rubbish (useless) and general questions though. I'd get some Google home mini's instead but no audio out rules it out for me.
Original Poster
dcx_badass53 m ago

I have a few echos and really like them, I found them easy to setup. It's …I have a few echos and really like them, I found them easy to setup. It's pretty rubbish (useless) and general questions though. I'd get some Google home mini's instead but no audio out rules it out for me.

No audio out meaning no aux so you can't connect to speakers? I've got cca so that's not a issue for me.
EN1GMA59 m ago

No audio out meaning no aux so you can't connect to speakers? I've got cca …No audio out meaning no aux so you can't connect to speakers? I've got cca so that's not a issue for me.

Yeah, I also have a few Chromecast Audio's but if I'm buying additional hardware for more rooms having to buy two devices by the same company for basic functionality seems daft. So I'll switch if/when they sort that.
Original Poster
dcx_badass13 m ago

Yeah, I also have a few Chromecast Audio's but if I'm buying additional …Yeah, I also have a few Chromecast Audio's but if I'm buying additional hardware for more rooms having to buy two devices by the same company for basic functionality seems daft. So I'll switch if/when they sort that.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Would have been good if it had aux so direct connection to a speaker for added functionality.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants