Google is shutting down Stadia  - Refunds on all Stadia purchases including hardware, software, and DLC.

Posted 29th Sep 2022
Update 2
Email received stating refund for Stadia Pro incoming +
email received regarding refunds, see here
Is it really a surprise? Service will remain live until Jan 18th 2023. Full FAQ below on process on refunds, what's included and how Google will proceed.

Google is shutting down Stadia, its cloud gaming service. The service will remain live for players until January 18th, 2023.

Google will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchased through the Google Store as well as all the games and add-on content purchased from the Stadia store. Google expects those refunds will be completed in mid-January.

The Wireless Controller, in theory, should work as a wired controller for non-Stadia PC games though?

Official Statment from Google:

''For many years, Google has invested across multiple aspects of the gaming industry. We help developers build and distribute gaming apps on Google Play and Google Play Games. Gaming creators are reaching audiences around the world on YouTube through videos, live streaming and Shorts. And our cloud streaming technology delivers immersive gameplay at massive scale.

A few years ago, we also launched a consumer gaming service, Stadia. And while Stadia's approach to streaming games for consumers was built on a strong technology foundation, it hasn't gained the traction with users that we expected so we’ve made the difficult decision to begin winding down our Stadia streaming service.

We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions. We expect to have the majority of refunds completed by mid-January, 2023. We have more details for players on this process on our Help Center.

The underlying technology platform that powers Stadia has been proven at scale and transcends gaming. We see clear opportunities to apply this technology across other parts of Google like YouTube, Google Play, and our Augmented Reality (AR) efforts — as well as make it available to our industry partners, which aligns with where we see the future of gaming headed. We remain deeply committed to gaming, and we will continue to invest in new tools, technologies and platforms that power the success of developers, industry partners, cloud customers and creators.

For the Stadia team, building and supporting Stadia from the ground up has been fueled by the same passion for games that our players have. Many of the Stadia team members will be carrying this work forward in other parts of the company. We’re so grateful for the groundbreaking work of the team and we look forward to continuing to have an impact across gaming and other industries using the foundational Stadia streaming technology.''

Stadia Announcement FAQOn September 29, 2022, Google announced that the Stadia servers will be turned off on January 18, 2023. The following article includes answers to common questions and will be updated as new information becomes available. Please check back for updates before contacting support.

Email received late 29th September

Dear Stadia player,

On September 29, 2022, we announced that the Stadia service will be shut down on January 18, 2023. We’re getting in touch with important information on what this means for you as a Stadia player.

Availability

Stadia will remain available for gameplay until the service is shut down on January 18, 2023. During this period, you will have access to your game library, including Pro games if you had an active Pro subscription as of September 29, 2022. Be aware that publisher support for games may vary, and it’s possible that your gameplay experience may be affected during the shut-down period.

Refunds

Google is offering a refund to Stadia users for Stadia hardware purchases (Stadia Controller, Stadia Founder’s Edition, Stadia Premiere Edition, or Play and Watch with Google TV Package) made on the Google Store, and game purchases and add-on purchases made on the Stadia Store. The refund process will take some time, but we expect to have the majority of refunds processed by January 18, 2023. We expect to be able to automatically issue refunds for a substantial portion of transactions as a credit to the form of payment used to make the purchase. For purchases that we are not able to automatically refund, you will receive an email with details on how to obtain your refund.

Transactions and subscription fees

All commerce functionality (the ability to buy games, new subscriptions, add-ons or in-game purchases) on Stadia has now been disabled. Users who held an active Stadia Pro subscription as of September 29, 2022 will not be charged for access to their Pro library or other subscription entitlements during the shut-down period. Historical Stadia Pro subscription fees will not be eligible for refund.

Your Stadia account and data

You will be able to export your Stadia data, such as profile information, game stats, social data, save files and captures from Google Takeout until the Stadia service shuts down on January 18, 2023, after which point your Stadia data will be permanently deleted. You can also delete Stadia from your Google account at any time or delete your Google account entirely. Please note that deleting your Google account will result in deletion of all data and content in that account, including emails, photos, and files, and may increase the amount of time it takes to receive a refund of your Stadia purchases. Google may however retain certain data, including transaction data, for up to three years following the shut-down of the service for the purposes of processing refunds and providing customer support.

More information is available in the Help Centre, which will be updated as new information becomes available.

Stadia Announcement FAQ

Q: How long will I be able to play my games on Stadia?

A; We will be leaving the Stadia platform and game servers online until January 18, 2023, so you can continue to play games in your library.

Q: Will all games work as expected during this time?

A: We anticipate that there will be some gameplay issues during this period, especially any games requiring commerce, but the majority of games should continue to work normally.

Q: What about my game progress? Can I take my game progress to another platform?

A: While that may be possible for some games that support cross-progression play on other platforms, unfortunately, for the majority of games, that won’t be possible.

Q: Will I get a refund? What is available for a refund?

A: We will be offering refunds for all Stadia hardware purchases (Stadia Controller, Founders Edition, Premiere Edition, and Play and Watch with Google TV packages) made through the Google Store and software transactions (games and add-on purchases) through the Stadia store. Stadia Pro subscriptions are not eligible for refund, however you will be able to continue playing your games in Pro without further charges until the final wind down date.

Q: Do I have to return my hardware to get a refund?

A: Most hardware purchases (Stadia Controller, Founders Edition, Premiere Edition, and Play and Watch with Google TV packages) made directly from Google will not need to be returned. More details on how to obtain a refund for your Stadia hardware purchases will be posted here in the coming weeks.

Q: How/When will I get my refund?

A: We are working through this process now and will keep this article updated as we define the process for each of the countries and different situations. Our intent is to have the majority of refunds processed back to the original payment by January 18, 2023.

Q: Are you refunding my Stadia Pro subscription?

A: We will not be refunding Stadia Pro subscriptions. Players who held an active Stadia Pro subscription as of September 29, 2022 will not be charged for access to their Pro library or other subscription entitlements during the shut-down period.

Q: Why can I no longer purchase games? Can I purchase in-game transactions?

A: We have now closed the Stadia Store and disabled all commerce on the Stadia platform, including in-game transactions.

Q: I no longer have the form of payment I used to make the purchase, how will I get a refund?

A: Keep an eye out for an email from us, we’ll provide you with instructions on how to choose a new form of payment.

Q: I paid with a gift card and have since thrown it away, how do I get my refund?

A: Keep an eye out for an email from us, we’ll provide you with instructions on how to choose a new form of payment.

Q: I ordered something via pre-order - will I get charged?

A: All future pre-orders will be canceled and you will not be charged. If you were already charged, you will be refunded your payment.

Q: Can I return hardware to physical locations (Google Store, Best Buy, etc.)?

A: No. Physical locations (Google Store, Best Buy, etc.) will not be able to process any returns or refunds.

Info

Source
Community Updates
EmeraldGreen
Google Stadia exclusive titles that will need to be ported to other platforms:

Gylt (2019) by Tequila Works
Hello Engineer (2021) by tinyBuild
Outcasters (2020) by Splash Damage
Pac-Man: Mega Tunnel Battle (2020) by Heavy Iron Studios
Pixeljunk Raiders (2021) by Q-Games
Update 1
Updated with email received from Google Stadia (See thread)

Also, Google Stadia exclusive titles that will need to be ported to other platforms below:

Gylt (2019) by Tequila Works
Hello Engineer (2021) by tinyBuild
Outcasters (2020) by Splash Damage
Pac-Man: Mega Tunnel Battle (2020) by Heavy Iron Studios
Pixeljunk Raiders (2021) by Q-Games

Thanks to @EmeraldGreen for this
Misc
Discussions

183 Comments