Google Nest WiFi worth it?

Posted 13th May
I currently have a Nighthawk R7800 - is the upgrade worth it as I’m getting slow speeds over WiFi - we have Virgin 200.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
I wouldn’t say slow WiFi speeds should be happening with the router you have it could be down to config. I don’t have a mesh system I have an ASUS Ac86 on VM at 200mbps and get WiFi everywhere at >150mbps in a fairly standard 4bed.

Have you looked at changing your channels and also what device are you using?
I just swapped my Nighthawk D7800 with a google wifi nest and pointer. Mainly becausde the inbuilt VDSL Modem gave up the ghost and since moving the wifi didnt cover the whole of the house (where we needed).

So a little more exspesnive upgrade than just added an openreach modem and wifi extender but since having the Google Wifi router (using the Huawei EchoLife HG612 3b as im on BT Fibre) in with the extra pointer, the network is superb! Way way better than the D7800 and The coverage is excellent and of cause its still AC2100 (the router ) like the D7800 but this is mesh so If i wanted to extend it again, you can. The pointers are AC1200 so not as much as the router itself but I only really have my Nvidsia Shield that needs the 5Ghz and its close enough to the Router to get that bigger speeds.

The new pointers double up as google home hub so you can communicate with it.

It depends on what you already in the house. As I said, I got an Nvidia Shield so I can turn the TV on and Off and the whole house has philips hue too.

one downside (at first) EVERYTHING is ran through the google home app and if you want the advanced features such as DHCP reservations and port forwards you need the seperate google wifi app. Nothing can be done in the browser (there are some github stuff but nothing offical). Also you CANT split the signals either. I prefered a seperate 2.5 and 5 signal as i could specify what goes where but, honestly, ive not seen anything wrong with it at the moment.

You say you have slow wifi speeds? could be coverage but its the same AC (pointers are less). YOur on Virgin so assume cable so it should just plug in. So could be wifi conflict on someones else in the street, something in the way perhaps?

So IF you all in on a smart home and fancy a change, go for it but if not and its just wifi, I dunno, just get an extender? I hope this helps and will answer as much as I can as I recently swapped out to as google router
Edited by: "darthvader666uk" 13th May
Dannyrobbo13/05/2020 12:03

I wouldn’t say slow WiFi speeds should be happening with the router you h …I wouldn’t say slow WiFi speeds should be happening with the router you have it could be down to config. I don’t have a mesh system I have an ASUS Ac86 on VM at 200mbps and get WiFi everywhere at >150mbps in a fairly standard 4bed. Have you looked at changing your channels and also what device are you using?

I think the issue could be the number of devices as we have around 20 devices. On some devices eg my MacBook I get around 100 which is good but not the actual speed but then depending on where I am it can go down to 10/20. On my new iPad I’m getting around 5 but plugged in I’m getting the full 200. I’ve changed the channels but no luck unfortunately
darthvader666uk13/05/2020 12:09

I just swapped my Nighthawk D7800 with a google wifi nest and pointer. …I just swapped my Nighthawk D7800 with a google wifi nest and pointer. Mainly becausde the inbuilt VDSL Modem gave up the ghost and since moving the wifi didnt cover the whole of the house (where we needed).So a little more exspesnive upgrade than just added an openreach modem and wifi extender but since having the Google Wifi router (using the Huawei EchoLife HG612 3b as im on BT Fibre) in with the extra pointer, the network is superb! Way way better than the D7800 and The coverage is excellent and of cause its still AC2100 (the router ) like the D7800 but this is mesh so If i wanted to extend it again, you can. The pointers are AC1200 so not as much as the router itself but I only really have my Nvidsia Shield that needs the 5Ghz and its close enough to the Router to get that bigger speeds.The new pointers double up as google home hub so you can communicate with it.It depends on what you already in the house. As I said, I got an Nvidia Shield so I can turn the TV on and Off and the whole house has philips hue too. one downside (at first) EVERYTHING is ran through the google home app and if you want the advanced features such as DHCP reservations and port forwards you need the seperate google wifi app. Nothing can be done in the browser (there are some github stuff but nothing offical). Also you CANT split the signals either. I prefered a seperate 2.5 and 5 signal as i could specify what goes where but, honestly, ive not seen anything wrong with it at the moment.You say you have slow wifi speeds? could be coverage but its the same AC (pointers are less). YOur on Virgin so assume cable so it should just plug in. So could be wifi conflict on someones else in the street, something in the way perhaps?So IF you all in on a smart home and fancy a change, go for it but if not and its just wifi, I dunno, just get an extender? I hope this helps and will answer as much as I can as I recently swapped out to as google router

Wow very detailed thanks a lot. I do prefer separate as well actually so is it switching from 2.4 to 5 efficiently? The speed varies by location tbh but I have a feeling it’s due to the amount of devices we have.
mrpepesman13/05/2020 12:16

I think the issue could be the number of devices as we have around 20 …I think the issue could be the number of devices as we have around 20 devices. On some devices eg my MacBook I get around 100 which is good but not the actual speed but then depending on where I am it can go down to 10/20. On my new iPad I’m getting around 5 but plugged in I’m getting the full 200. I’ve changed the channels but no luck unfortunately

have you had a look round you (the airport utility app on iPad will tell you this) at what WiFi channels people are operating and changing it on your router accordingly. Out of interest what channel are you running. 20 devices isn’t that many unless they’re all steaming video over WiFi constantly.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 13th May
Dannyrobbo13/05/2020 12:24

have you had a look round you (the airport utility app on iPad will tell …have you had a look round you (the airport utility app on iPad will tell you this) at what WiFi channels people are operating and changing it on your router accordingly. Out of interest what channel are you running. 20 devices isn’t that many unless they’re all steaming video over WiFi constantly.

Channel is auto for 2.4 and 44 for 5ghz
mrpepesman13/05/2020 12:30

2.4 is on 8 rn

Have you checked what other WiFi channels are set around you for both 2.4 and 5. Also are you connecting the devices to the 2.4 network?

for 2.4ghz the channels you are best using are 1, 6 or 11 as they have no overlap. So I wouldn’t have it set to auto, check out congestion around you on 1, 6 or 11 and set it manually to the least congested channel of the three.

5ghz is much more forgiving as there are more non overlapping channels but you should still switch to one that is not congested
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 13th May
Dannyrobbo13/05/2020 12:03

I wouldn’t say slow WiFi speeds should be happening with the router you h …I wouldn’t say slow WiFi speeds should be happening with the router you have it could be down to config. I don’t have a mesh system I have an ASUS Ac86 on VM at 200mbps and get WiFi everywhere at >150mbps in a fairly standard 4bed. Have you looked at changing your channels and also what device are you using?

the ac86 replaces your VM hub ?
Mendoza13/05/2020 16:00

the ac86 replaces your VM hub ?

no hub goes to modem mode and the bottom port becomes the wan port to ac86
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions