Google pay and Amex pay

Posted 3rd Mar
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to paying with your phone, having a Xiaomi note 5 (no NFC) for the last couple of years and Microsoft Lumia 950 before ( never managed to get contactless payments working).
I do most of my shopping at Aldi and Morrisons (17:20pm when they reduce down).

I've just configured Google pay on my new Xiaomi 9t but when I installed the Amex app it gave me the option to make it the default payment method for NFC.
I've looked at the terms on Amex about rewards via Google pay but they seem a bit contradictory.
Does anybody know if you get the rewards if you pay via Google pay?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
This is from the Amex website FAQs:

Do I still get rewards (for example, Membership Rewards® points) when I use Google Pay?

Yes, you receive all of the same rewards, security and benefits of your eligible American Express Card when you use it with Google Pay. Please visit your Card account on americanexpress.com or in the Amex Mobile app to see your individual Card benefits.
If you make purchases outside of Google Pay with an eligible American Express Card in Google Payments or other Google properties (even if also branded by Google as Google Pay), some of those purchases may not receive the benefits (e.g., Purchase Protection), loyalty points, rewards or offers you may otherwise have received had you used that American Express Card directly with the merchant.
Edited by: "cis_groupie" 3rd Mar
Amex Pay was added when Google Pay couldn't support Amex initially. It is now redundant with Google Pay fully functional for Amex cards.
cis_groupie03/03/2020 22:11

This is from the Amex website FAQs:Do I still get rewards (for example, …This is from the Amex website FAQs:Do I still get rewards (for example, Membership Rewards® points) when I use Google Pay?Yes, you receive all of the same rewards, security and benefits of your eligible American Express Card when you use it with Google Pay. Please visit your Card account on americanexpress.com or in the Amex Mobile app to see your individual Card benefits. If you make purchases outside of Google Pay with an eligible American Express Card in Google Payments or other Google properties (even if also branded by Google as Google Pay), some of those purchases may not receive the benefits (e.g., Purchase Protection), loyalty points, rewards or offers you may otherwise have received had you used that American Express Card directly with the merchant.

That exactly the bit I don't understand. "Yes you receive all the rewards" and then further down "If you make purchases outside of Google Pay with an eligible American Express Card in Google Payments or other Google properties (even if also branded by Google as Google Pay), some of those purchases may not receive the benefits (e.g., Purchase Protection), loyalty points, rewards or offers you may otherwise have received had you used that American Express Card directly with the merchant."
bozo00703/03/2020 22:26

Amex Pay was added when Google Pay couldn't support Amex initially. It is …Amex Pay was added when Google Pay couldn't support Amex initially. It is now redundant with Google Pay fully functional for Amex cards.

So can you confirm that registering an amex to google pay still achieves the rewards?
HerefordCiderApples03/03/2020 22:34

So can you confirm that registering an amex to google pay still achieves …So can you confirm that registering an amex to google pay still achieves the rewards?

I can confirm this. My Amex gold is linked to Google Pay and I use contactless on my phone and still receive points on my Amex account.
Prosamuraiman03/03/2020 22:58

I can confirm this. My Amex gold is linked to Google Pay and I use …I can confirm this. My Amex gold is linked to Google Pay and I use contactless on my phone and still receive points on my Amex account.

Cheers, that's all I needed to know, I'll uninstall the amax pay in that case.
HerefordCiderApples03/03/2020 22:34

So can you confirm that registering an amex to google pay still achieves …So can you confirm that registering an amex to google pay still achieves the rewards?

Yes.
HerefordCiderApples03/03/2020 22:33

That exactly the bit I don't understand. "Yes you receive all the rewards" …That exactly the bit I don't understand. "Yes you receive all the rewards" and then further down "If you make purchases outside of Google Pay with an eligible American Express Card in Google Payments or other Google properties (even if also branded by Google as Google Pay), some of those purchases may not receive the benefits (e.g., Purchase Protection), loyalty points, rewards or offers you may otherwise have received had you used that American Express Card directly with the merchant."

I agree - it isn't very clear. I read it as meaning that if I use the Amex card via Google Pay to pay for something then Google Pay are guaranteeing that I'll get the AmEx rewards. But if I use the card via other Google services then Google Pay won't guarantee that I'll get the AmEx rewards.
cis_groupie04/03/2020 14:05

I agree - it isn't very clear. I read it as meaning that if I use the …I agree - it isn't very clear. I read it as meaning that if I use the Amex card via Google Pay to pay for something then Google Pay are guaranteeing that I'll get the AmEx rewards. But if I use the card via other Google services then Google Pay won't guarantee that I'll get the AmEx rewards.

Yes, other services even if they are branded Google pay?
I went to Morrisons and made a couple of purchases through Google pay but no points showing yet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants