Google play services has stopped...

Hoping someone on here might know more about this than I do.

So I have a HTC one m9+ , all has been working fine, until yesterday.

One of the main apps/games I use is Scrabble, before I went to bed I played my turn, all fine, then later when I get up I check scrabble and it won't load. So I figure I'll open up google play and try uninstall/install the app. Google play wont load either(just white screen - sometimes with loading circle), and after a while I get google play services has stopped.

So, tried a search for the fix and these are things I have tried...

Reboot

Clear data/cache in google play

unistall updates in google play

clear data/cache in goole play services (could not do this as option is greyed out)

delete google account(tried this but nothing happened when i pressed remove account)

re-installed latest google play update

re-installed latest google play services

uninstalled scrabble and re-installed again

I'm at a loss what to do next besides a full reset which I'd rather avoid if I can.

Oh and google maps, it loads but the actual map doesn't appear.

Android version is 5.0.2

thanks for any help, I'm off to work soon so I'll reply to any suggestions tomorrow

oh and just to add, all other apps seem to work fine tho not tested everything

13 Comments

Navigate to settings/apps and bring up the options and select reset app preferences/defaults

Maybe try an older version of Google play, I remember having this same thing on an S4 with the latest Google play at the time. Had to try a few older versions then reported it to Google.

I think my mums android tablet had this issue, try reset the time on your device

soulus851

I think my mums android tablet had this issue, try reset the time on your … I think my mums android tablet had this issue, try reset the time on your device

​Agreed it can be caused by automatic time not connecting correctly

Oh...just had another thought is the phone rooted?

Original Poster

thanks, forgot to put have also tried reset app preference to default

I'll try another version Google play tomorrow

time and date is correct but I'll have a play around with that

thanks

Original Poster

Maverick77

Oh...just had another thought is the phone rooted?

​ no not rooted

Original Poster

Good news! it's working again
Had another go at installing the google play services apk, tried an older one first but install failed so tried the newest one again, installed, rebooted, and now it's working!
very weird but glad it seems ok now, thanks all for the suggestions.

athunder

Good news! it's working againHad another go at installing the google play … Good news! it's working againHad another go at installing the google play services apk, tried an older one first but install failed so tried the newest one again, installed, rebooted, and now it's working!very weird but glad it seems ok now, thanks all for the suggestions.

Can't you update the phone? You'll run into fewer problems with the latest Android framework. I thought the M9 had Nougat rolling out to it now, and you're only on Lollipop!

Original Poster

misterleoni

Can't you update the phone? You'll run into fewer problems with the … Can't you update the phone? You'll run into fewer problems with the latest Android framework. I thought the M9 had Nougat rolling out to it now, and you're only on Lollipop!

it's the m9+, not m9, think im stuck on this version for now

As well as wiping the app caches, wiping the cache partition fixes a lot of the problems that a full reset fixes without the same drama. Not sure how to do it on this phone but a quick Google will tell you.

athunder

it's the m9+, not m9, think im stuck on this version for now

That's pretty pure. I guess it's down to the Mediatek chip in it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
    2. word association Game74044544
    3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
    4. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions