Google Reading banking apps information (Notifications) ?

Found 28th Apr
I am not to knowledgeable on this subject but I'll say what has happened to me and seems the case,

I use revolut and monzo and there are many apps like this that are getting large amount of users in, and what these apps do is send you a notification of the shop logo and the amount you spend,

But recently I went into X Shop and all of sudden I am seeing advertisment for this store, this is definitly targeted advertisement and not a fluke, I have never visited X shops ever, nor signed up for emails of ever searched X shop, only reference was from this banking app.

I am pretty sure the banking apps is not passing on data I feel google are using the notification I get, is this something that google can use or is there something that stops them using this data?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I'm sorry but why are you concerned? Surely everyone realises by now that Google Ts&Cs give them the right to aggregate all forms of data and do STUFF with it. Even down to you assigning copyright and earnings to them over images etc.

And then there is the the new Open Banking rules means that those seemingly helpful apps will now start to aggregate your detailed financial data. independent.co.uk/mon…tml

Call your bank and ask if there are any AISPs (Account Information Service Providers) with access to your account(s)

And weep
ccnp8 m ago

I'm sorry but why are you concerned? Surely everyone realises by now that …I'm sorry but why are you concerned? Surely everyone realises by now that Google Ts&Cs give them the right to aggregate all forms of data and do STUFF with it. Even down to you assigning copyright and earnings to them over images etc.And then there is the the new Open Banking rules means that those seemingly helpful apps will now start to aggregate your detailed financial data. https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/open-banking-eu-uk-share-financial-data-transaction-history-spending-patterns-a8151761.htmlCall your bank and ask if there are any AISPs (Account Information Service Providers) with access to your account(s)And weep

unfortunatly no not everyone is aware of what they access too, Can google look at what I spend on my barclays app? I assume no, however these new banks that send you a notification I assume they can use this?
I don't think it's so much the apps sharing info, but more likely Google using GPS to identify your location. I often get notifications when I'm in a shop saying things like "Google pay accepted here".
BeerDrinker2 m ago

I don't think it's so much the apps sharing info, but more likely Google …I don't think it's so much the apps sharing info, but more likely Google using GPS to identify your location. I often get notifications when I'm in a shop saying things like "Google pay accepted here".

I don't believe the app is sharing the informaiton, what I am saying is can google read any notifications and use them?
is this something that is allowed? if it is then I would highly imagine people at google will research and set to migrate notifications from banking apps for targeting
It could just be tracking your location and picked up the stores WiFi hotspot.
Creatishh28th Apr

I don't believe the app is sharing the informaiton, what I am saying is …I don't believe the app is sharing the informaiton, what I am saying is can google read any notifications and use them? is this something that is allowed? if it is then I would highly imagine people at google will research and set to migrate notifications from banking apps for targeting

No, Google access your information. It automatically checks their register of advertisers abs if its on there - up pops an advert on your phone. If not, for example you go into a Ford car showroom but BMW are registered with Google (or their advertising companies) then you get A BMW advert. Win - win for Google. Good luck to them, they provide us with 'Free' access to lots of Apps and info... This is how we pay for it.
This gets the debates going. Are you being data mined for advertising or is it coincidence. Probably from what they know about you from the Google search box. From what you search they can guess your age. Which way you vote. What your interests are. Which way you swing. What food you like and so on. People get spooked with targeted adds. One day they are talking to someone about a sofa then the next day the see sofa adds.. Some ai is listening or just good online marketing testing you as they think you might want a sofa as it's springtime and sofa buying time?
Edited by: "wayners" 28th Apr
It’s kinda what you should expect when you use a phone with software made by an advert company
I'm guessing you're on Android. If so, Google can track where you are, using your location when it's turned on. Go into Google Maps and see 'your timeline' - it's creepily detailed on your whereabouts every day
Edited by: "jamie015" 28th Apr
jamie01512 h, 14 m ago

I'm guessing you're on Android. If so, Google can track where you are, …I'm guessing you're on Android. If so, Google can track where you are, using your location when it's turned on. Go into Google Maps and see 'your timeline' - it's creepily detailed on your whereabouts every day

This here. Go to myactivity.google.com you can see a history of everything that's been done on your phone. To go one step further, if you filter your history to show just audio, can here all the times Google has recorded from your phone without you knowing.
Edited by: "GonzoFK" 29th Apr
Creatishh28th Apr

unfortunatly no not everyone is aware of what they access too, Can google …unfortunatly no not everyone is aware of what they access too, Can google look at what I spend on my barclays app? I assume no, however these new banks that send you a notification I assume they can use this?

My apologies.

You gave Google the right to inspect your Gmail messages. They can analyse those for easily recognisable content (ie Amazon, Item, Cost) and add your spending (Credit Card, Amount, frequency) and book reading habits to the meta data they have on you. Its chicken feed for them to monitor your emails and turn data content into sellable Information.

They can extend the analysis and consolidate it with other data sources. One recent change they put into the Ts&Cs gives them the right to link multiple email accounts where they think (not 'know') they belong to you.

If you use an Android phone/pad, then you just opened the door to analysis of your messages and phone calls.

Does this matter to you or I? There are plenty of folks who scoff at this but the simple fact is that the futuristic films you see, where individuals are no longer in control of their lives is the direction of travel we are all engaged in.

Open Banking is a stinker. The app companies can access your bank account(s) behind your back. So your Insurance payments can be identified, repayments on a mortgage, electricity/gas bills etc etc can all be watched to build a profile so they can target you.

Link all that data and thy know more about you than you do
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants