Google WiFi vs TP-LINK Deco M5

Found 4th Jan
Has anyone used Google WiFi or something similar like TP-link Deco M5? Are they worth the outlay?

I need to rewire our house and whilst I'm doing that I'm reviewing our networking and trying fix a blackspot and also get WiFi to the very back of our garden that's about 40 metres from the rear of the house.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
8 Comments
If you're rewiring then put in conduit and wire for cat 6 but leave enough round for optical when the price drops and 10gbe gets cheaper.

As for 40m away from the house you could do that with long 2.4GHz aerials bolted externally to the house or use a couple of dishes/directional aerials but this would be expensive and not the best. I'd just run shielded ethernet cable in armoured trunking between the buildings.
I have the Deco and didn’t even consider Google. So far my experience is back the actual manufacturers, not the software developers with no hard ware experience. It’s likely to be supported for longer.

The Deco supports wired back haul so you could run cabling while rewiring and use it to link the Deco up soundly.
I’ve done a mixture and it’s working well.

To cover your dead spot, you could consider a Ubiquity setup but will cost more. Though they do outdoor suitable access points. Personally I’d get a Deco M5 unit and put it high up within a window recess.
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I will be running Ethernet around the house where possible and this will include to the rear of the garden in my office but I still need WiFi coverage at the other side of the garden which is another 20metres from the office. I was also tying to avoid using repeaters if possible let as my in laws have them and they get loads of issues.

I also want to avoid switching between wifi profiles and have a single mesh as it makes my life easier with the wife!
Original Poster
Oneday771 h, 12 m ago

I have the Deco and didn’t even consider Google. So far my experience is b …I have the Deco and didn’t even consider Google. So far my experience is back the actual manufacturers, not the software developers with no hard ware experience. It’s likely to be supported for longer. The Deco supports wired back haul so you could run cabling while rewiring and use it to link the Deco up soundly. I’ve done a mixture and it’s working well. To cover your dead spot, you could consider a Ubiquity setup but will cost more. Though they do outdoor suitable access points. Personally I’d get a Deco M5 unit and put it high up within a window recess.

I had read about the back haul options.

Each Deco has two ethernet ports as I understand it but from one review on Amazon it said that if you plug something like a switch into one port, anything that hangs off the Deco isn't part of the Deco network, they operate separately. Do you have anything like a NAS, TV or another switch hanging directly off the Deco?
If you're going to connect them by wire then is there any point in paying extra for a mesh system in the first place? I would look at just using access points as they're a lot cheaper.

What's in the way of that 40m? If it's open air/thin shed walls then it may work fine. If not then a wi-fi bridge with directional aerials if you can't run an outdoor cable under the garden.
darlodge1 h, 3 m ago

I had read about the back haul options.Each Deco has two ethernet ports as …I had read about the back haul options.Each Deco has two ethernet ports as I understand it but from one review on Amazon it said that if you plug something like a switch into one port, anything that hangs off the Deco isn't part of the Deco network, they operate separately. Do you have anything like a NAS, TV or another switch hanging directly off the Deco?

I have a BT homehub 5 set up as a router, wired to a Deco unit. I then run a 24port TP-Link switch off it. With 1 Deco wired in one room and 2 wirelessly in different rooms. Over kill but works for me, quite a lot of brick walls in the house.

My switch has a NAS and Microserver attached to it and they behave fine.
EndlessWaves31 m ago

If you're going to connect them by wire then is there any point in paying …If you're going to connect them by wire then is there any point in paying extra for a mesh system in the first place? I would look at just using access points as they're a lot cheaper.What's in the way of that 40m? If it's open air/thin shed walls then it may work fine. If not then a wi-fi bridge with directional aerials if you can't run an outdoor cable under the garden.

Not that much cheaper and Mesh systems have convenience in mind. Yes if you are competent and willing to set it up access points are better.

The Mesh systems have one setup point and are modular. The interfacing is also more user friendly.

I’ve come from an R8000 with an R7000 as an AP. While it worked signal strength wasn’t as good as I liked. The Deco is not as configurable but works how I need it to for my purposes.
Original Poster
My intention is to have some things physically connected like my NAS as it has dual gigabit NICs but laptops, Ipads, phones will all be wireless. I know what you're saying about the access points but I've had no end of problems configuring them for my in laws, I tried two branded versions and kept getting loads of problems with their Ipads being hop'd between access points to the router and then back again.

The 40m run is mostly open garden but there is a tree line and a garage partly blocking the signal but it might just stretch.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants