Groups

Gore Tex Jacket (Men) to climb Kilimanjaro - Advice please

I am due to do a charity climb (Kilimanjaro) with a group of friends in 4 weeks time, but I am struggling to find a decent Gore-Tex jacket that fit my requirements. I have been looking at the Berghaus Arisdale 3-in-1 jacket, as they have the side zips which allows the body to 'breath' (I get sweaty very easily). So far, I have not had any luck with finding a suitable jacket, and my time is running out, so any advice would be appreciated on getting a suitable jacket.

My requirements:

* Under £200
    * Preferably with included fleece, but if you have better suggestions to buy separately, could you advice the best type of fleece for this climb please?
    * Must be Gore-Tex, as my recent climb to Snowdon shows how ill-prepared I was without proper clothing. Doesn't have to be Berghaus, but I like the side zips feature to allow cooling.
    * Size Large.

Anyone seen any decent offers? What shops (online & offline)?

Donation link: justgiving.com/fun…sho

Thanks in advance.

A MASSIVE thank you to the following for their generous donations:
    * RxTx

18 Comments

Banned

If the charity you're doing it for haven't given you a recommended kit list, I wouldn't suggest doing it in the first place.

don't have a clue just wanted to wish you good luck on your climb

I've not done Kilimanjaro so not entirely sure what conditions you are expecting that time of year.

I tend to avoid 3-1 style clothing, just get an individual fleece and jacket that suits you best. Also don't just limit yourself to Gore-Tex. Paramo make excellent gear. Something like the Cascada/Alto II is often around £150, £50 will buy you a good fleece (double that and you might get a Buffalo Mountain Jacket - the best piece of outdoor clothing you will ever buy, not really the same as a fleece though).

If you're near Bettws y Coed try the Cotswold Rock Bottom store for bargains.

Original Poster

WonkyDoctor

If the charity you're doing it for haven't given you a recommended kit … If the charity you're doing it for haven't given you a recommended kit list, I wouldn't suggest doing it in the first place.

Hi Wonky, the organiser (not the charity, we're self funding the whole climb, but raising money separately for GOSH) did provide a check list of kits, what I am looking for is the right type of jacket - brand, material, advice on what to look for.

Thanks for the reply tho.

Original Poster

discozohan

don't have a clue just wanted to wish you good luck on your climb

Original Poster

themorgatron

I've not done Kilimanjaro so not entirely sure what conditions you are … I've not done Kilimanjaro so not entirely sure what conditions you are expecting that time of year.I tend to avoid 3-1 style clothing, just get an individual fleece and jacket that suits you best. Also don't just limit yourself to Gore-Tex. Paramo make excellent gear. Something like the Cascada/Alto II is often around £150, £50 will buy you a good fleece (double that and you might get a Buffalo Mountain Jacket - the best piece of outdoor clothing you will ever buy, not really the same as a fleece though).If you're near Bettws y Coed try the Cotswold Rock Bottom store for bargains.

Brilliant!! Thanks for the info themorgatron, exactly the sort of information I am looking for.

Anyone else with other suggestions?

We use the Keela Munro jacket, it has zips under the arms for heat management , a very good jacket and British made.

keela.co.uk/mun…tml

buy any kit you need there. will be dirt cheap and have all you want. plus get to check out what others and the guides recommend. I would suggest the best you can afford but save some for the best down jacket you can get because will be cold!

Original Poster

RxTx

We use the Keela Munro jacket, it has zips under the arms for heat … We use the Keela Munro jacket, it has zips under the arms for heat management , a very good jacket and British made.http://www.keela.co.uk/munro-jacket.html

Only XS & XL left :(, thanks for the heads up though.

Original Poster

elliott1982

buy any kit you need there. will be dirt cheap and have all you want. … buy any kit you need there. will be dirt cheap and have all you want. plus get to check out what others and the guides recommend. I would suggest the best you can afford but save some for the best down jacket you can get because will be cold!

I don't think we have time to do shopping there prior to the climb. I have asked the organisers and have come back with a few suggestions. I already have a 650 fill down jacket, will ask if that is sufficient for the summit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

EDEN188

Only XS & XL left :(, thanks for the heads up though.

They're the manufacturers so should have the sizes you need. I've just tried various sizes and colours and they seem to have gone into my basket ok ?? If you have online sponsorship you could post it up here , you may get a few HUKD'ers sponsoring you. Good luck with the climb.

EDEN188

I don't think we have time to do shopping there prior to the climb. I … I don't think we have time to do shopping there prior to the climb. I have asked the organisers and have come back with a few suggestions. I already have a 650 fill down jacket, will ask if that is sufficient for the summit.Thanks for the suggestions.

are you going into moshi? are you doing the machame route? over how many days? also interested in what training you have done?

Original Poster

RxTx

They're the manufacturers so should have the sizes you need. I've just … They're the manufacturers so should have the sizes you need. I've just tried various sizes and colours and they seem to have gone into my basket ok ?? If you have online sponsorship you could post it up here , you may get a few HUKD'ers sponsoring you. Good luck with the climb.

I'll have a look in more detail when I'm free from work, thanks for the advice though.

Not sure if I will violate any rules for charity donations here (mod, please delete as appropriate. thanks), but our charity link is:

justgiving.com/fun…sho

All donation goes to GOSH as we are all self funded to do this climb.

Original Poster

elliott1982

are you going into moshi? are you doing the machame route? over how many … are you going into moshi? are you doing the machame route? over how many days? also interested in what training you have done?

We're doing the 'easier' route - Lemosho :). It's over 6 days, but the summit will be done at midnight, hence we did a practice summit night in Snowdon about 4 weeks ago, wasn't nice as I didn't have the right clothing :(, hence this post to ask the question.

So far, training includes:

Sunday - 16km walk/hike with my rugsack I'm taking to Kili.
    Tues & Thursday - ~100 sit ups, 4km on treadmill with maximum incline (15% - mainly walking), 1000km swim

The main concern has always been the AMS (altitude sickness), which will be hard to train for that. We went for a session in the Altitude Centre in London back in November 15 just to see how well our bodies recover in the simulated environments, probably worth checking out nearer to the climb again.
    Edited by: "EDEN188" 18th Aug 2016

Original Poster

elliott1982

are you going into moshi? are you doing the machame route? over how many … are you going into moshi? are you doing the machame route? over how many days? also interested in what training you have done?

Just looked at our itinerary, and it looks like we do arrive in Moshi :). I don't want to risk of not been prepared, so will buy my stuff here.... just in case

elliott1982

I would imagine if he's up to 10 pints of real ale a day he should be fine.

Original Poster

dereklogan7

I would imagine if he's up to 10 pints of real ale a day he should be … I would imagine if he's up to 10 pints of real ale a day he should be fine.

Lol! That's part of the training for post celebration!!

Original Poster

BIG thanks to RxTx for his generous donation!! Really appreciated!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Giffgaff New goodybags36
      2. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2121023
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047178
      4. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691420

See more discussions