Expired

Got a breadmaker - using the packet mix and bread doesnt rise

Found 31st Mar 2013
2nd lot of bread made and both packets different brand been using the correct measurements etc yet bread is flat and not usuable, bit annoyed seeing as it took 2 hours 30 to cook today and has to go in bin

11 Comments

u used yeast ???

Banned

in date?

cheap breadmaker?

Not sure if this is required when using a breadmaker, but you normally always need to do at least one proving (letting the dough rise for a couple of hours after kneading) before baking it. If it rose during its prove then the only thing I can think is that the breadmaker was set too hot.
Edited by: "roof30" 31st Mar 2013

Yeast either wrong type, out of date or omitted.

A toughy this one.

Packet bread mixes normally have the yeast in them, so pretty hard to leave it out when its already included.

2 different packets = not a duff packet (at least unlikely).

My first thought is about the water you added. I normally add it warm, but not boiling. Too cold - might not have activated the yeast. Too hot - killed the yeast. But in all honesty its a fairly wide range, I just use water from the hot tap...

Have you added the right amount for your size bread maker? The smaller sized ones only use 1/2 a packet and obviously 1/2 the water...

Finally - A bad breadmaker. The cycle mine follows:-

- Paddle mixes (5 mins) & heater comes onto warm the mix
- Pause for rise (20 mins?)
- Another quick mix
- Bake (heater up to high)

Maybe that might help you see where your process is going off the rails...

Been using breadmakers for many years (worn out 4 so far). Got a Panasonic SD256 at the mo and its the best one we've had.

Had a few tries with packet mixes but most of the time we use the Panasonic recipe.

In this order:
1tsp dried yeast
475g strong bread flour (Allinsons Country Grain)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
25-30 g olive oil (or marge)
350 ml water

Cook on whole wheat setting.

One thing we have found of late is that the bread hasn't been rising very well. Found and ran the Panasonic diagnostics, which checked the machine out OK. Eventually discovered that the wheat harvest hasnt been very good this year and theres not enough gluten in the flour.

Allinsons suggested adding half a vitamin C tablet. I have some straight vitamin C powder, so added a small amount (about enough to cover 15mm of a teaspoon handle) - it worked a treat and we're back to near normal.

Sunday lunch is back to a fresh warm loaf and some smelly cheese.

Edited by: "Fluffykins" 5th Apr 2013

Original Poster

many thanks I have decided to not use packet anymore and going to use and make my own got all ingredients just need to look up what i need for a 1.5kg loaf will have a go this evening and report back if all else fails the breadmaker will get ditched.

Thanks

Banned

pinkladyof66

many thanks I have decided to not use packet anymore and going to use and … many thanks I have decided to not use packet anymore and going to use and make my own got all ingredients just need to look up what i need for a 1.5kg loaf will have a go this evening and report back if all else fails the breadmaker will get ditched.Thanks

get a panasonic if you do

+1 Panasonic

Contact the makers of the breadmix you are using and tell them the problem. They are usually pretty good at coming up with an answer. Plus you might even get a couple of vouchers for some cheap packets.

PS - Bread that hasn't risen well and is all stodgy in the middle is lovely sliced and thickly smeared with honey. You could probably adapt a bread pudding recipe to use it as well.

Dammit, now I've got the munchies!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions