Got a games PC? Want to help kill the coronavirus ?

Posted 14th MarEdited by:"deleted2444191"
Install the folding@home project, and help fight the virus.

Full details in this post

TL;DR: Install Folding@home from here foldingathome.org/

reddit.com/r/p…ow/
Community Updates
Some more about the project here to give comfort to the wary (like me!)

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ome

and here

onezero.medium.com/you…164
Misc

Groups

15 Comments
Yes and No
Interesting. Yes.. and once I understand what it does, probably yes
deleted2444191
Hacked14/03/2020 19:00

Interesting. Yes.. and once I understand what it does, probably yes

you don't need to understand the science behind it ... but essentially it's one of the largest super computers in the world (by being a collection of hundreds of thousands of computers online working together). Essentially the server sends your computer and many others bits of work to do, and your computer does some mathematical work, and sends it back. This can be used to work on problems like corona or atkins, or many other problems to find drugs to fix these problems. But all you need to know is, you install the software and run it .. either all the time, or when you want, or when you are not doing anything on your computer and you are helping scientists around the world to fix these problems.
deleted244419114/03/2020 19:03

you don't need to understand the science behind it ... but essentially …you don't need to understand the science behind it ... but essentially it's one of the largest super computers in the world (by being a collection of hundreds of thousands of computers online working together). Essentially the server sends your computer and many others bits of work to do, and your computer does some mathematical work, and sends it back. This can be used to work on problems like corona or atkins, or many other problems to find drugs to fix these problems. But all you need to know is, you install the software and run it .. either all the time, or when you want, or when you are not doing anything on your computer and you are helping scientists around the world to fix these problems.

Thanks, and I hope you don't mind but I have added a bit of info above for the cautious (like me )
Edited by: "Hacked" 14th Mar
deleted2444191
Hacked14/03/2020 20:08

Thanks, and I hope you don't mind but I have added a bit of info above for …Thanks, and I hope you don't mind but I have added a bit of info above for the cautious (like me (nerd))

not at all... thanks for the contribution !
I suppose if you hardly ever use your gaming PC to play your 2,543 Steam games you might as well put it to good use.
40106606-kSWhv.jpg

40106606-vEuSj.jpg
Using 56% of one thread (1/16) and a tiny amount of GPU
@jamie15 perhaps your gaming crew might like to get in on this? For (a) good cause(s)
Hacked14/03/2020 20:35

@jamie15 perhaps your gaming crew might like to get in on this? For (a) …@jamie15 perhaps your gaming crew might like to get in on this? For (a) good cause(s)

I heard about this yesterday and today from Barnacules streams but I don't keep my PC on. It's either in use or off. My gaming laptop needs a nearly constant power supply so too much energy usage.
Edited by: "jamie15" 14th Mar
jamie1514/03/2020 21:08

I heard about this yesterday and today from Barnacules streams but I don't …I heard about this yesterday and today from Barnacules streams but I don't keep my PC on. It's either in use or off. My gaming laptop needs a nearly constant power supply so too much energy usage.

I think you misunderstood me; I thought you might like to spread the word. This runs in the background and doesn't use much cpu. One "task" took under 2 hours to run on my machine
Hacked15/03/2020 08:12

I think you misunderstood me; I thought you might like to spread the word. …I think you misunderstood me; I thought you might like to spread the word. This runs in the background and doesn't use much cpu. One "task" took under 2 hours to run on my machine

I don't know other PC gamers who'd do this
Installed this last night and couldn't get it to work up and running now
another thread here
hotukdeals.com/dis…559
as someone hinted at you might be better giving the money to charity rather than
putting it on your energy bill

One another note don't install if it is a really old lappy/PC
I seem to remember killing one with this or something similar many many years ago.
Edited by: "Wongy110" 15th Mar
Wongy11015/03/2020 13:53

putting it on your energy bill

You say that, and I've read that, but it ran fine using only 1% of my GPU (RTX card). it used 55% of CPU on one thread. No effect on other software. Fan didn't even kick in. Was using PC for other things while it ran.

Anyway it seems they are now getting lots and lots of support, which is fantastic.

40110137-po19Q.jpg
yeah, dunno will leave it on for a few days

It strikes that the best thing you can do right now is inform you elderly relatives/friends
that it is just not safe for them to be out and about right now.
Rubisco14/03/2020 20:19

I suppose if you hardly ever use your gaming PC to play your 2,543 Steam …I suppose if you hardly ever use your gaming PC to play your 2,543 Steam games you might as well put it to good use.

Hey, where'd OP go?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants