Groups
    EXPIRED

Got my car...but dodgy seller? Need advice please!!!

and I been trying to insure it as it runs out in a few weeks. However, the car is listed as as a ford focus 1.6 est and not a 5 dr hatchback on the insurance websites!!!! Anyone have any idea why this is? Its not an estate. Should I contact the seller??? (He was a motor trader?) My friend has a focus same as one I got but a year newer, I used his registration on the same insurance website and it comes up as 1.6 5 dr hatchback. Seems my car listed as an estate and the premiums from using my registration to using my friends were a lot dearer for my reg, even though my car is older.

20 Comments

Seems very strange.

What does it say on the V5?

Original Poster

hornblowerracing;5104766

Seems very strange.What does it say on the V5?

only got the green bit just says ford focus ghia

bargainhunter2009;5104768

only got the green bit just says ford focus ghia

I'd make a call to the DVLA to check.

If he's a motor trader, why did he not have the V5?

Original Poster

hornblowerracing;5104786

I'd make a call to the DVLA to check.If he's a motor trader, why did he … I'd make a call to the DVLA to check.If he's a motor trader, why did he not have the V5?

Thanks! He has to send that bit off, he did have it...I dont remember checking it to see if it said hatch back or estate, just checked previous owners and date ect....

bargainhunter2009;5104798

Thanks! He has to send that bit off, he did have it...I dont remember … Thanks! He has to send that bit off, he did have it...I dont remember checking it to see if it said hatch back or estate, just checked previous owners and date ect....

You could always run a HPI check but I'm not sure if that will confirm it.

Have you tried lots of insurers or just search engines?

Original Poster

hornblowerracing;5104817

You could always run a HPI check but I'm not sure if that will confirm … You could always run a HPI check but I'm not sure if that will confirm it.Have you tried lots of insurers or just search engines?

I did a mycarcheck.co.uk check, it said 1.6 ghia but never said if was hatchback or not...do you think I should contact the seller? He clearly hasnt sold me what I thought I was getting?

bargainhunter2009;5104853

I did a mycarcheck.co.uk check, it said 1.6 ghia but never said if was … I did a mycarcheck.co.uk check, it said 1.6 ghia but never said if was hatchback or not...do you think I should contact the seller? He clearly hasnt sold me what I thought I was getting?

It does seem a bit odd.

You should perhaps try ringing an insurer as well, see what they say.

[url]www.mycarcheck.com[/url] part with £4 for piece of mind?

Cant believe people are actually buying cars without one........

Could be a dvla error but then again?

Original Poster

Just checked again, my car check says..
    Make & Model Ford Focus Ghia
    VIN Check You have not performed a VIN check yet. Engine Size 1596cc
    Engine Number ********
    First Registered 17 Mar 2003
    Year Manufactured 2003
    Former Keepers 1
    Last Keeper Change The last recorded change of keeper occurred on 8 Jan 2004
    Body 5 Door Hatchback
    Colour Silver
    Fuel Petrol

So why are the insurance saying its an estate??

Original Poster

jtx;5104879

[url]www.mycarcheck.com[/url] part with £4 for piece of mind?Cant believe … [url]www.mycarcheck.com[/url] part with £4 for piece of mind?Cant believe people are actually buying cars without one........Could be a dvla error but then again?

I did do one, see my above post. Its listed as a 5 dr hatchback on there! But insurers think its an estate - what database do insurers use?

bargainhunter2009;5104888

Just checked again, my car check says..Make & Model Ford Focus Ghia VIN … Just checked again, my car check says..Make & Model Ford Focus Ghia VIN Check You have not performed a VIN check yet. Engine Size 1596cc Engine Number ********First Registered 17 Mar 2003 Year Manufactured 2003 Former Keepers 1 Last Keeper Change The last recorded change of keeper occurred on 8 Jan 2004 Body 5 Door Hatchback Colour Silver Fuel PetrolSo why are the insurance saying its an estate??

God knows. lol

bargainhunter2009;5104900

I did do one, see my above post. Its listed as a 5 dr hatchback on there! … I did do one, see my above post. Its listed as a 5 dr hatchback on there! But insurers think its an estate - what database do insurers use?

Yeah, sorry I didn't read it properly:oops:

Original Poster

jtx;5104901

https://www.vehiclecheck.co.uk/VehicleCheck/Secure/AutoCheck.asp?persist_affiliateid=130Type it in here?

Thanks...it says

Vehicle Registration Mark ******
    MakeFORDModelFOCUS GHIA
    Transmission & fuel type
    MANUAL 5 GEARS PETROL
    Body Type 5 DOOR HATCHBACK
    Colour SILVER

Insurers getting it wrong?

tbh once you know it's not registered incorrectly I wouldn't really worry what it comes up as.

Original Poster

confused.com got it right,..FORD FOCUS GHIA 16V 2003 1596cc Five Door Hatchback Manual Petrol but others got it wrong and the indiviudal insurance companies who they go too

Original Poster

jtx;5104926

tbh once you know it's not registered incorrectly I wouldn't really worry … tbh once you know it's not registered incorrectly I wouldn't really worry what it comes up as.

but im paying more as they think its an estate...my mates car is the same as mine but a year newer and typin in his reg instead of mine costing me less!

Are both cars the same spec? Insurance doesn't normally cost more on an estate in my experience. Is your friends car a ghia?

Original Poster

jtx;5105006

Are both cars the same spec? Insurance doesn't normally cost more on an … Are both cars the same spec? Insurance doesn't normally cost more on an estate in my experience. Is your friends car a ghia?

yeh we both have ghias, mines a 2003, his a 2004....thanks for your help. At least its registered properly anyway....:)

Closed at ops request. Thank you

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1861346
    2. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1315
    3. word association Game73944485
    4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927360

See more discussions