Groups

Got some SSD questions

I'm thinking about buying an SSD to use in my desktop PC but I have a few questions....

Firstly, my PC only has a 3gb/s SATA controller on it. Would I need to buy some kind of 6gb/sec card to take advantage of this drive:

ebuyer.com/pro…416

or would my 3gb/s be ok?

Secondly, would it make more sense to buy 2x smaller SSD drives and run them in RAID 0 somehow? I presume it's easy to do, but would my 3gb/s motherboard be a bottleneck?

8 Comments

Your SATA 2.0 (3gb/s) controller is spot on
    The Vertex 2 is pretty much on the limit of what can be achieved without an upgrade to SATA 3.0.

I bought the 120gb in Dec. Decided it would be better to consider RAID at a later date rather than buy two 60gb.
    Maybe the prices will come down eventually lol.

Edited by: "MBeeching" 7th Apr 2011

came across this on a m8s mach and yes the 3gbs controllers can be a bottle neck, as can what bus they are attached to, pci 1 v1 is no good.

maddogb

came across this on a m8s mach and yes the 3gbs controllers can be a … came across this on a m8s mach and yes the 3gbs controllers can be a bottle neck, as can what bus they are attached to, pci 1 v1 is no good.

SATA 2.0 does not bottleneck a Vertex 2.
    Newer/faster models would require SATA 3.0.

Original Poster

Thanks guys.

MBeeching

SATA 2.0 does not bottleneck a Vertex 2.Newer/faster models would require … SATA 2.0 does not bottleneck a Vertex 2.Newer/faster models would require SATA 3.0.

we were talking about RAID striping with 2 vertex2 drives

Original Poster

Does each SATA port have 3gb/s to itself or does the entire controller have 3gb/s divided between drives?

JoYork

Does each SATA port have 3gb/s to itself or does the entire controller … Does each SATA port have 3gb/s to itself or does the entire controller have 3gb/s divided between drives?

pretty sure in native mode it is 3Gbs per line or port, but how this is implemented on RAID systems will be down to the design, for example a RAID system to the OS is considered to be a single drive/port.
    Unfortunately the PCI-e v1 bottle neck hit my friend before any other issues were ironed out, so that will be his next upgrade.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions