Government loses Article 50 court fight

Banned 847 replies
Found 3rd Nov 2016
Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the European Union, the High Court has ruled.
This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal discussions with the EU - on its own.

bbc.co.uk/new…785

---Please be nice & try not to get the thread pulled because this story is epic. Its a slap in the face of democracy & we are just about to see how our elected (very well paid) slaves behave ---

-------------------------------------
You know that saying?

"Its a good day to bury bad news"?

We get poppies!!! But we do not get democracy!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
847 Comments

shocking, simple as that, no one won with this, a stab in the back for democracy

Original Poster Banned

thewongwing101

A Titanic moment

Riots on the streets if they vote against.

So, also makes the 1975 EU referendum void?

Can we have 40 years membership fee refunded now fanks.

The Brexit troll will be in his element this morning.

I fear I'll have no option but to declare civil war, who's with me?.

We cannot let them go back on their promise, obviously they will all vote against Brexit.

War is upon us.

Original Poster Banned

Who pressed expired?

(and this was Cameron's fault for not doing his job properly in the first place)

YouDontWantToKnow

Riots on the streets if they vote against.

They 'May' not get the chance to vote
sounds like the lady will just bring article 50 forward
sterling on the news
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwVIY6bWgAETjx7.jpg

There will almost certainly be appeal to the Supreme Court

and if the government don't agree to trigger article 50 it would be political suicide, we all know politicians don't always do what they promise but for a politician to vote against what his/ her constitutes voted for? good look having a career come next election.

This is exactly why they should have triggered Brexit the very next day.

Original Poster Banned

Dumbstruck

Or the european court of human rights

shauneco

This is exactly why they should have triggered Brexit the very next day.

Without any clear strategy that would have been a terrible idea.

The government was campaigning to stay in the EU and I would bet that they believed that they would win. I doubt any real plans for leaving the EU were drawn up.

shadey12

and if the government don't agree to trigger article 50 it would be … and if the government don't agree to trigger article 50 it would be political suicide, we all know politicians don't always do what they promise but for a politician to vote against what his/ her constitutes voted for? good look having a career come next election.

Political suicide in the same way as calling a referendum that you think you're certain to win, then losing. There's certainly recent precedent there.

oh...

Ministers were given the go-ahead for a further hearing to take place at the Supreme Court, which is expected to take place before the end of the year.

This was always going to be a clusterf*** due to how close the referendum was. Will watch with interest. Realistically MPs will need to canvas their constituents if there will be a vote in parliament... I honestly don't think Brexit will happen with our current government... and if a general election is called the referendum result becomes irrelevant

shadey12

and if the government don't agree to trigger article 50 it would be … and if the government don't agree to trigger article 50 it would be political suicide, we all know politicians don't always do what they promise but for a politician to vote against what his/ her constitutes voted for? good look having a career come next election.

Their will only be a very small minority who remain honest and vote for Brexit, you simply could not make it up, the dictatorship has won. We will be in a much worse position now than we were before Brexit.

If Brexit doesn't happen then they need to be held responsible for wasting taxpayers money, Brexit must have cost billions and if they get what they want it will be billions wasted.

They have changed the rules because they don't suit them, This will be the end of democracy as we know it.

Dumbstruck

Parliament gives the people the chance to vote, some do not like the result and the Judges decide it is up to Parliament to make that decision.

So the law, that purports to represents the people, has now defied the will of those very same people?

We need this man to rise again.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Oliver_Cromwell_by_Samuel_Cooper.jpg/220px-Oliver_Cromwell_by_Samuel_Cooper.jpg

Original Poster Banned

Liverpool_Bear

Parliament gives the people the chance to vote, some do not like the … Parliament gives the people the chance to vote, some do not like the result and the Judges decide it is up to Parliament to make that decision.So the law, that purports to represents the people, has now defied the will of those very same people?We need this man to rise again.

Liam Neeson?

shadey12

Ha, this theory does make me laugh, the amount of outers who have changed their minds it would make perfect sense.

Most MPs would be likely to vote for Article 50, as Brexit had been … Most MPs would be likely to vote for Article 50, as Brexit had been backed by a majority of voters in the referendum.

RossD89

Without any clear strategy that would have been a terrible idea.The … Without any clear strategy that would have been a terrible idea.The government was campaigning to stay in the EU and I would bet that they believed that they would win. I doubt any real plans for leaving the EU were drawn up.

I know hence I was happy to be patient whilst they came up with strategies etc.. however they would have had 2 years to negotiate possibly longer etc.. They really have been so unprofessional, I cannot think of any words to describe just how bad this is for democracy. You can't change the rules when it suits and yes I know the referendum wasn't a legally binding result but it was honour, they are acting against democracy. It's like having a majority labour vote and Conservatives getting in power.

It was always going to be decided in parliament, the vote was only ever about whether they should discuss it.

Banned

shauneco

The Brexit troll will be in his element this morning.I fear I'll have no … The Brexit troll will be in his element this morning.I fear I'll have no option but to declare civil war, who's with me?.We cannot let them go back on their promise, obviously they will all vote against Brexit.War is upon us.

He's playing golf. Hope no one shouts fore. X)

Original Poster Banned

Liverpool_Bear

Parliament gives the people the chance to vote, some do not like the … Parliament gives the people the chance to vote, some do not like the result and the Judges decide it is up to Parliament to make that decision.So the law, that purports to represents the people, has now defied the will of those very same people?We need this man to rise again.

Edward Woodward?

RAFAVDV

It was always going to be decided in parliament, the vote was only ever … It was always going to be decided in parliament, the vote was only ever about whether they should discuss it.

Of course it was. That's why it took a high court judgement to decide. oO

shauneco

This will be the end of democracy as we know it.

Quite the opposite actually! Britain is a Parliamentary democracy where decisions are made by elected representatives of the people (Members of Parliament). So, if it is anything, it is the restoration of democracy as we know it.

I am all for staying in the EU personally. But the government has to now leave - if they vote not to leave the EU through a legal technicality there is no way any of the established parties will form a government come the next election.

Trigger the thing, leave the union. Basically everything stays the same anyway because globalisation is a monster.

WOW that was a big spikein the value of the £
From 1.2340 to 1.2445 that is a masive $0.0105 increase

RAFAVDV

Ha, this theory does make me laugh, the amount of outers who have changed … Ha, this theory does make me laugh, the amount of outers who have changed their minds it would make perfect sense.

​i have yet to meet one but I know a few voted in and wish they had voted out. I also know a few who didn't vote who would have voted if they thought they could win.

Original Poster Banned

RonChew

Quite the opposite actually! Britain is a Parliamentary democracy where … Quite the opposite actually! Britain is a Parliamentary democracy where decisions are made by elected representatives of the people (Members of Parliament). So, if it is anything, it is the restoration of democracy as we know it.

Well unless it runs smoothly Ron... There will be trouble ahead (but when there is music.. blah)

the markets seem to be reacting well to the news

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBPUSD:CUR

it's almost as if the two things are related!

Lets keep voting ... until we get it 'Right'?

RonChew

Quite the opposite actually! Britain is a Parliamentary democracy where … Quite the opposite actually! Britain is a Parliamentary democracy where decisions are made by elected representatives of the people (Members of Parliament). So, if it is anything, it is the restoration of democracy as we know it.

Are you for real?, Parliament gave us the vote and suggested it would honour the will of the people, now they want to change the rules.

You simply cannot change the rules, yet it's what they're trying to do.

toolsm57

WOW that was a big spikein the value of the £From 1.2340 to 1.2445 … WOW that was a big spikein the value of the £From 1.2340 to 1.2445 that is a masive $0.0105 increase

about as much an increase as you can get in an hour, so yes, it is a big spike.

shauneco

Are you for real?, Parliament gave us the vote and suggested it would … Are you for real?, Parliament gave us the vote and suggested it would honour the will of the people, now they want to change the rules. You simply cannot change the rules, yet it's what they're trying to do.

the rules haven't been changed, the referendum (and indeed all referenda) are not legally binding and advisory only. the government is under no compunction to follow through with it.

in a parliamentary democracy a vote by elected representatives IS democratic.

we really need to start teaching civics in schools to help prevent such misinformed views.

If the Remoaners in Parliament reverse the will of the people, then voters will go over to UKIP.

Original Poster Banned

I think I want to put a poppy armband on to remember the death of democracy

lol at civil war talk. patriots willing to not just undermine the country's best interests, but destroy it too.

retrograde, regressive idiocy of the highest order.

most MPs will vote to leave.
what then if only 70-80% vote leave.
have another referendum where it has to be at least 75% wanting to leave?
get real, we are out, end of story.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions