Government loses key Brexit bill vote

Found 13th Dec 2017
May and Co wanted to side step Parliament and have us all accept the Brexit deal.

However, thanks to several Tory rebels the government has been defeated and Parliament will now be given a legal guarantee of a vote on the final Brexit deal struck with Brussels.

Excellent news for all sides.

After all we are a Parliamentary democracy and we can't let such a small group within the government get away with making such a big decision without the whole of Parliament (our constituencies representatives) having a say.

I can imagine all on misc are happy with the outcome?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I think all on misc are the same as all in the UK....fed up of hearing about it.
deleted265520Original Poster
groenleader4 m ago

I think all on misc are the same as all in the UK....fed up of hearing …I think all on misc are the same as all in the UK....fed up of hearing about it.

The thing is some of us aren't?
Why would you vote for something if you would be fed up of hearing about it after less than a year?

It sums up the attitude of some on here. Happy to constantly talk about Brexit before and immediately after the vote but when it gets to the serious stage of agreeing numerous deals with Brussels and our representatives having a say you aren't interested.

Why would that be? Because sound bites aren't of any importance at this stage? Actually engaging in good old diplomacy is much more important but doesn't really catch the eyes and ears of the tabloid readers does it?
Edited by: "deleted265520" 13th Dec 2017
And now need to remember the UK voted to leave - so what happened now if the MPs don't like the deal? They go against the combined public's votes?

I voted to stay but respect more voted to leave
DT8913th Dec 2017

The thing is some of us aren't?Why would you vote for something if you …The thing is some of us aren't?Why would you vote for something if you would be fed up of hearing about it after less than a year? It sums up the attitude of some on here. Happy to constantly talk about Brexit before and immediately after the vote but when it gets to the serious stage of agreeing numerous deals with Brussels and our representatives having a say you aren't interested.Why would that be? Because sound bites aren't of any importance at this stage? Actually engaging in good old diplomacy is much more important but doesn't really catch the eyes and ears of the tabloid readers does it?

Because they don't like the way things are going to want to stick their fingers in their ears and go laaah laaah laah
158 Comments
I think all on misc are the same as all in the UK....fed up of hearing about it.
groenleader4 m ago

I think all on misc are the same as all in the UK....fed up of hearing …I think all on misc are the same as all in the UK....fed up of hearing about it.

The thing is some of us aren't?
Why would you vote for something if you would be fed up of hearing about it after less than a year?

It sums up the attitude of some on here. Happy to constantly talk about Brexit before and immediately after the vote but when it gets to the serious stage of agreeing numerous deals with Brussels and our representatives having a say you aren't interested.

Why would that be? Because sound bites aren't of any importance at this stage? Actually engaging in good old diplomacy is much more important but doesn't really catch the eyes and ears of the tabloid readers does it?
And now need to remember the UK voted to leave - so what happened now if the MPs don't like the deal? They go against the combined public's votes?

I voted to stay but respect more voted to leave
jase.24 m ago

And now need to remember the UK voted to leave - so what happened now if …And now need to remember the UK voted to leave - so what happened now if the MPs don't like the deal? They go against the combined public's votes? I voted to stay but respect more voted to leave

The MPs will only vote against it if the deal is bad. That's more than likely with David David leading the Brexit negotiations...

But Brexit is now binding. Remember Parliament voted on it not too long ago and there was an overwhelming support of leaving.

Surely even the most avid Brexiteer would want his/her local representative and the rest of the countries to have a say? You cannot surely be happy with accepting whatever the government come back with however bad it is?

You've conveniently forgot that the Public voted to leave but we didn't vote to leave on any/no terms.
That's the way to do it
jase.24 m ago

Ok so what happens then if MPs don't like it? Even tho most are only play …Ok so what happens then if MPs don't like it? Even tho most are only play into party politics to take may down and

There are Tory rebels in her own party that are more than willing to do that...

I think you're focusing too much on Party politics here. If the deal is bad then it deserves to be voted against by all MPs regardless of party or previous Brexit stance.

I think you'll find that with its long term ramifications and impact it will probably outlast a lot of the current MPs it is vital we get it right and the whole of Parliament agrees to it rather than an incompetent section of government trying to push it past the line.
DT8913th Dec 2017

The thing is some of us aren't?Why would you vote for something if you …The thing is some of us aren't?Why would you vote for something if you would be fed up of hearing about it after less than a year? It sums up the attitude of some on here. Happy to constantly talk about Brexit before and immediately after the vote but when it gets to the serious stage of agreeing numerous deals with Brussels and our representatives having a say you aren't interested.Why would that be? Because sound bites aren't of any importance at this stage? Actually engaging in good old diplomacy is much more important but doesn't really catch the eyes and ears of the tabloid readers does it?

What's less than a year ago?
32730223-eBSbw.jpg
Remainers hurling insults been going on for about 2 years now.
Come back in five years.
Under the circumstances, probably the best option would be to run it via Parliament to make sure we don't bow down too easily to the EU's demands, Don't let them sell us down the river.

If only Parliament could tell Brussels what to do with that £39bn, That would be a start, I wouldn't be agreeing a divorce fee, They probably owe us since we put far more in the pot than we took/take out.
Democratic maybe but it still boils down to accept or get out in the cold. My prediction on this one will be an accept vote even though it'll be a **** deal.
Oh great another politics post. I’m beginning to dislike checking discussions.
If their parliamentary vote will be

Accept the negotiated terms and exit or exit on WTO rules then I'm happy

If the vote is to delay the exit from the EU in anyway shape or form then I'm not happy

And my final thought is I'd like to see those MP's who are against the will of their electorate be punished at the ballot boxes. They are "employed" to serve their electorate not their political party or their own agenda and that goes for both remain and leave supporters eg if their local electorate voted mainly remain and their MP is supporting leave then they should be punished at the ballot box - yes it was a national referendum and the total vote is considered but for me these scumbags in office should be held accountable for their actions/choices.
DT8913th Dec 2017

Because they don't like the way things are going to want to stick their fingers in their ears and go laaah laaah laah
32732531-AJnyu.jpg
32732531-OcR3t.jpg
So as expected we've got users on here who are still spouting the same old rhetoric.

There are actually fully grown adults who are happy to accept whatever deal David Davis comes up with although he's already stated he doesn't really give a sh*t and is retiring as soon as this is over?

Or you're happy to accept the first deal by Theresa May? Our PM who failed to secure a majority in the last General Election, bribed the DUP with £1B and still had them disrupt recent deal talks at the eleventh hour?

Hmmm. Sounds like there's an awful lot of people who just want to throw a few sound bites but aren't actually interested in any decent outcome for our country.

Any sensible person would want this run through Parliament before it is finalised. Phil talks about MPs being punished for not representing the will of their constituents. Surely agreeing to something being pushed through the door without the right checks and balances is against the will of the public and our Parliamentary democracy?

I think you'll find that even though leave won by a small majority there is a much bigger majority from both leave & remain camps who will want a say on the final deal. Only the die hard Brexiteers want out immediately and on WTO terms.
Edited by: "deleted265520" 14th Dec 2017
11 MPs overrule 17.4 million people.

Some democracy we have.
.MUFC.8 h, 53 m ago

Under the circumstances, probably the best option would be to run it via …Under the circumstances, probably the best option would be to run it via Parliament to make sure we don't bow down too easily to the EU's demands, Don't let them sell us down the river.If only Parliament could tell Brussels what to do with that £39bn, That would be a start, I wouldn't be agreeing a divorce fee, They probably owe us since we put far more in the pot than we took/take out.

Can you please back up your claims with objective sources?
shadey129 h, 6 m ago

What's less than a year ago?[Image] Remainers hurling insults been going …What's less than a year ago?[Image] Remainers hurling insults been going on for about 2 years now.Come back in five years.

Do you look at that and see something different?

If in in any type of democracy you win by such a fine margin you would automatically realise you have to respect both sides.

More people combined didn’t vote for leave. (With those choosing not to vote)

whilst it was leave vote - it’s clear there wasn’t a mandate for hard brexit.

With how its gone down and the clown running the negotiations- it’s right and democratic that a small group can’t force it through - moreso after the disaster in the general election.

Far better to be cautious and get the exit right than keep saying the same sound bites over and over.

Demoracy won last night - Tories trying to bribe rebels at the 11th hour isn’t democracy and then sacking one for not voting they way they like certainly isn’t....

common sense and intelligence is starting to win.
Of course we care, that's why we voted Brexit. We didn't want a United states of Europe. Just because we voted different from you doesn't mean we don't care. Some people just trust the government and don't really care about the political side.
DT8914th Dec 2017

Can you please back up your claims with objective sources?

The 39bn divorce fee has been has been all over the media. I object to paying them Ransome money. There is a chart on how much we spend and how much we get in return. Google it, been posted on here many times. Us and Germany pay most in. So yes I object to that.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 14th Dec 2017
joanddan712 m ago

Do you look at that and see something different? If in in any type of …Do you look at that and see something different? If in in any type of democracy you win by such a fine margin you would automatically realise you have to respect both sides. More people combined didn’t vote for leave. (With those choosing not to vote)whilst it was leave vote - it’s clear there wasn’t a mandate for hard brexit. With how its gone down and the clown running the negotiations- it’s right and democratic that a small group can’t force it through - moreso after the disaster in the general election. Far better to be cautious and get the exit right than keep saying the same sound bites over and over. Demoracy won last night - Tories trying to bribe rebels at the 11th hour isn’t democracy and then sacking one for not voting they way they like certainly isn’t....common sense and intelligence is starting to win.

You can't change the rules after, it was a simple leave or remain. Leave won, that's how democracy works in this Country.
.MUFC.8 m ago

You can't change the rules after, it was a simple leave or remain. Leave …You can't change the rules after, it was a simple leave or remain. Leave won, that's how democracy works in this Country.

This was a one off vote - that was run badly - what did leave mean???

Explain that to me?

Border in Ireland? No trade deals?

What did you vote for?
Yet another roadblock of time wasting, contributing to a poor deal.
I think it would be a mistake to just accept whatever deal we get without it going through parliament. So i am glad they lost this vote.

The Tories aren't making me feel confident that we will be better off after brexit.
philphil618 h, 26 m ago

If their parliamentary vote will be Accept the negotiated terms and exit …If their parliamentary vote will be Accept the negotiated terms and exit or exit on WTO rules then I'm happyIf the vote is to delay the exit from the EU in anyway shape or form then I'm not happyAnd my final thought is I'd like to see those MP's who are against the will of their electorate be punished at the ballot boxes. They are "employed" to serve their electorate not their political party or their own agenda and that goes for both remain and leave supporters eg if their local electorate voted mainly remain and their MP is supporting leave then they should be punished at the ballot box - yes it was a national referendum and the total vote is considered but for me these scumbags in office should be held accountable for their actions/choices.

100% agree with the last part - and they did - in the general election - the Tories and their blinkered interpretation of a hard brexit lost them lots and lots of votes and seats as the public overwhelmingly said - that is not what we voted for - a few loud and brash internet warriors still believe they talk for the masses or that they know what demoracy is or what it should look like but luckily the rest of the nation wants the best for the county and wants the deal and exit to be debated properly and the voices of the elected to be heard so they can speak for their constituents and not a select few.

A blinkered xenophobic leave at all costs and with any deal is in the rear mirror.

Do what’s best when we leave is now on the table.

Its clear a hard brexit is actually impossible for May now - her General election and deal with the DUP guaranteed that....

again - that’s how demoracy “works”
airfix55 m ago

11 MPs overrule 17.4 million people.Some democracy we have.

Actually it's exactly the democracy we have in this country - Parliament is sovereign.

Brexiters like you moan about wanting us to 'take back control', well that's exactly what you've got. This is exactly what democracy looks like in this country.

Brexiters simply don't know what it is they want half the time and when they get it, they're so confused they still moan. It's hilarious but also a sad indictment of our education system.
jase.210 h, 17 m ago

And now need to remember the UK voted to leave - so what happened now if …And now need to remember the UK voted to leave - so what happened now if the MPs don't like the deal? They go against the combined public's votes? I voted to stay but respect more voted to leave

Yes. If the deal significantly damages the country then they would have a duty to vote against it whether their constituents like it or not.

If a person wants to have his leg removed because it's his 'will' does a doctor have an obligation to refuse? Of course. The same applies here.
joanddan731 m ago

This was a one off vote - that was run badly - what did leave mean??? …This was a one off vote - that was run badly - what did leave mean??? Explain that to me? Border in Ireland? No trade deals? What did you vote for?

It meant to leave the EU and no longer be under there rule etc. There was a booklet that they wasted several million printing that pretty much explained everything and it was pretty clear what the vote meant. I'd love to go back to Sunday and change the United result. I voted leave obviously. I'm not going to repeat my reasons again other than at the time I believed Brexit was in the best interest of the British public.

I do share a few common views with remainers though, I don't trust the government, I am not as confident as I was because the government are giving in to the EU demands. No that isn't what I voted for.

I hope running it via parliament is going assure they don't sell us down the river. Not to deliberately put obstacles in the way which is probably what they're doing.
32733520-P7USA.jpg
Liberal triggers
robbrown48912 m ago

[Image] Liberal triggers

Not really anything to do with brexit.
CoeK2 m ago

Not really anything to do with brexit.

Triggered - Nothing said in here affects Brexit so...touche'
robbrown489134 s ago

Triggered - Nothing said in here affects Brexit so...touche'

I'm not really sure what you mean by triggered?
All this Brexit business is a bad joke, how much money has already been spent on this.. god knows, instead of all of this why couldn't the time/ money have been invested in health/education/housing? Mr Cameron seems to have caused mayhem and untold damage to this country with his vain gamble with his fellow Etonian chum(B)s and seems to have walked away scot free, whistling as he went if I remember. Personally I was forced to vote on something I had no idea about and was very wary of the lies and mistruths on both sides..
CoeK2 m ago

I'm not really sure what you mean by triggered?

A term used exclusively by frustrated young men on the internet
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals14 m ago

The problem is Shaune is that people like you have failed to give precise …The problem is Shaune is that people like you have failed to give precise ideas about what it is you actually voted for. You use abstract, meaningless terms and statements to justify what you voted for and that's my biggest problem with the whole Brexit thing - it's kinda dumb.There's not stringent reasoning, no intellectual rigour or strident arguments. Instead we get catchphrases and gut feelings.You say you don't want to be under their rule but you don't explain what that means. In trading terms we'll still have to comply with their standards but we won't have any say over them, so aren't we still 'under their rule'? We'll have parity in law, financial regulations and manufacturing standards so aren't they ruling us there?I know the answer but you're either unable to answer because you don't understand or don't want to reveal just how shallow your reasoning on this subject is. It's either cowardice or ignorance, but whichever it is it does not represent the best of this country.It represents the dregs.

Are the EU the only nation we will trade with? Do you think they won't want to sell us anything after Brexit?. We will alter laws after Brexit or at least will have the ability too.
.MUFC.3 m ago

Are the EU the only nation we will trade with? Do you think they won't …Are the EU the only nation we will trade with? Do you think they won't want to sell us anything after Brexit?. We will alter laws after Brexit or at least will have the ability too.

The EU aren't a nation.

UK law is already alterable, in fact it's constantly being altered.

Do you know what it is you're actually arguing about? Why talk about laws when you clearly don't have the first clue about them and are too darn lazy to bother educating yourself? What type of person does that?
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals7 m ago

A term used exclusively by frustrated young men on the internet

I know the meaning(i have a teenage brother) but i just wasn't sure how my reply is that of someone who is "triggered". Maybe it was because i replied at all? No idea.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals4 m ago

The EU aren't a nation.UK law is already alterable, in fact it's …The EU aren't a nation.UK law is already alterable, in fact it's constantly being altered. Do you know what it is you're actually arguing about? Why talk about laws when you clearly don't have the first clue about them and are too darn lazy to bother educating yourself? What type of person does that?

They have a flag , an anthem , a currency and soon an army .. Sounds like a nation to me . The only difference is they are not democratic , they are unelected .
Edited by: "plodging" 14th Dec 2017
.MUFC.6 m ago

Are the EU the only nation we will trade with? Do you think they won't …Are the EU the only nation we will trade with? Do you think they won't want to sell us anything after Brexit?. We will alter laws after Brexit or at least will have the ability too.

What laws do you think we need to alter?
Discussions over the EU itself are moot due to the fact 52 is greater than 48. Pointless chit chat #TRIGGERED
CoeK3 m ago

I know the meaning(i have a teenage brother) but i just wasn't sure how my …I know the meaning(i have a teenage brother) but i just wasn't sure how my reply is that of someone who is "triggered". Maybe it was because i replied at all? No idea.

Definitely triggered
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions