Groups

Government response to petition 'Reviewfuelduty'

13 June 2008

We received a petition asking:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Review fuel duty."

Details of Petition:

"In the light of ever increasing wholesale fuel prices, the detrimental effect of the dollar/ pound exchange rate and the increasing government revenue, the duty on fuel should now be reviewed."

Read the Government's response
    Road transport underpins the way of life in the UK, remains important for essential journeys for businesses and families and, used efficiently, is a key component of the economy.

The retail price of fuel at the pump is of course ultimately a matter for retailers and their suppliers, and fuel duty is just one of a range of factors which determine the price paid by the motorist. But the Government is of course sympathetic toward those who are faced with extra costs for essential journeys, as a result of factors such as the high world oil prices.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer continues to work with G7, G8 and G20 partners to address inefficiencies in the international oil market, by building on the G8 energy initiatives to improve supply, investment, data transparency, improved producer-consumer dialogue, efficiency and minimise the adverse impact on sectors and individuals.

It is the Government's policy that fuel duty rates should rise each year at least in line with inflation, as the UK seeks to reduce polluting emissions and fund public services. In order to underline this commitment the Chancellor's 2008 Budget announced fuel duty rates through to 2010-11. However, the Chancellor recognised the impact that high fuel prices - caused by supply and demand in the global oil market - were having on business and families. He therefore announced that the planned 2 pence per litre fuel duty increase scheduled for 1 April would be deferred to 1 October, and the Chancellor will consider the case for this increase again at this time - taking into account a number of economic and social factors.

The rate of fuel duty remains a fixed amount - 50.35 pence per litre - which has not varied as the retail price of fuel has increased.

14 Comments

Original Poster

Cant comment - TOO DARN ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be expected. The petition was poorly worded imho and should also have encompassed the REAL problem on fuel, double taxation in the form of VAT.

driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol…ece

Original Poster

well maybe so and you are probably right BUT we still need some action instead of a 'nothing' reply even if we were expecting it!

Banned

Aquatic;2305307

well maybe so and you are probably right BUT we still need some action … well maybe so and you are probably right BUT we still need some action instead of a 'nothing' reply even if we were expecting it!

What do you expect the goverment to do? The duty is the same as it was when the petrol was 99p per litre but these complaints weren't happening then.
    If they knock 20p off a litre, firstly people will still complain petrol is too expensive and secondly you can guarantee an income tax increase to cover the loss.
    The goverment is in a no win situation

These complaints were happening when petrol was 99p a litre, it's only that now the county is in a very difficult position. The government will not concede, and as stated would be required to add the tax somewhere else. BUT without some kind of help the situation will spiral out of control............... It would be a vote winner too!

I remember when they put VAT on gas/electricity. Tax luxury items yes, but ffs don't screw people on things they CAN'T do without. That's just wrong. My solution to the petrol problem? I rarely drive :lol:

Shengis;2305456

I remember when they put VAT on gas/electricity. Tax luxury items yes, … I remember when they put VAT on gas/electricity. Tax luxury items yes, but ffs don't screw people on things they CAN'T do without. That's just wrong. My solution to the petrol problem? I rarely drive :lol:

What about how they charge VAT and charge women in general for sanitary towels? It's a natural thing, you can get condoms free, why can't they give sanitary towels for free?Especially not have the never to charge VAT on them, and toilet roll too.

think you are all missing the point , things wont change while you still all vote fot the upper classes to rule your country, apart from a labour MP who was a postie, none of them have done a days work and have all come from priveledged backgrounds ( eton, cambridge , oxford educated)

surely the masses must realise especially after this labour govt that they all aim to fill their coffers and dont give a s>>>e about the working classes, we are just seen as things that can provide wealth for them.

Govt and religion : the two work hand in hand to supress the working classes and keep us in line.

Er... and what party exactly is NOT consists of upper classes? The UKIP? The BNP? The English Democrats?

The Toga Party......

http://www.qualsiasi.net/images/articles/Toga_Party_1_original.jpg

:w00t:

I prefer The Moster Raving Looney Party

Banned

colinsunderland;2305381

What do you expect the goverment to do? The duty is the same as it was … What do you expect the goverment to do? The duty is the same as it was when the petrol was 99p per litre but these complaints weren't happening then.If they knock 20p off a litre, firstly people will still complain petrol is too expensive and secondly you can guarantee an income tax increase to cover the loss.The goverment is in a no win situation

I expect the government to abandon VAT on fuel and instead add around 17.5p to fuel duty. At least then if petrol goes up due to the oil price increases, we arent getting further stung by the 17.5% VAT!

Banned

csiman;2309305

I expect the government to abandon VAT on fuel and instead add around … I expect the government to abandon VAT on fuel and instead add around 17.5p to fuel duty. At least then if petrol goes up due to the oil price increases, we arent getting further stung by the 17.5% VAT!

i don't think europe allow them to do that do they? I'm sure I read somewhere that was the case

Banned

colinsunderland;2309421

i don't think europe allow them to do that do they? I'm sure I read … i don't think europe allow them to do that do they? I'm sure I read somewhere that was the case

You are probably right there. We're not allowed to sneeze without the Eu's permission these days ;-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 4K TV Deals?12
      2. Golf DSG GTD Real MPG?69
      3. Need help with buying a 4K TV for gaming11
      4. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA89

See more discussions