Government says there is plenty of food !

Posted 20th Mar
so, my wife arrived at our local tesco at 7.55am this morning, it opened at 7.30, and the shelves arw bare !
no bread or milk and theres an old chat standing looking at an empty fridge where milk should be !!
Tesco say they are restocking the stores over night ???
something dodgy going on, i know people are queuing outside stores in the morning before they open but cannot imagine if the shelves are being filled overnight, and its only 1 of each item per customer, how within 25 minutes the store can be empty ?
i WONDERING, not accusing, but wondering if the staff are getting first dibbs before the store opens ?
surely most stores must receive a couple of hundred bottles of milk and the same amount of bread each day,
so how can 200 people be served i 25 minutes in a smaller Tesco ?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Spoke to someone living in Ireland this morning, they have no panic buying any more and it's returned to normal, the same will happen here
Edited by: "nakruseuk" 20th Mar
Shelves become bare because stupidity spreads faster than viruses.
They should also stop idiots buying chest freezers to double up on stock piling.
34 Comments
durrington tesco 20.03.20 at 07:3 0 full ahelves of food including eggs and milk, except no pasta, cereals almost empty, hand sanitizer were restocking and no toilet paper otherwise you can get nice stock up
Edited by: "romas.cacurinas" 20th Mar
It's a valid question, similar experience for myself yesterday at Asda. You think once the hoarders have filled their boots we should start to see stock levels creep back up in stores. There was a tangible sense of panic in Asda, some idiots were actually running through aisles! Again, if everyone just took what they needed we'd have less of a problem
I have been reading many stories that are the same as yours - then several people saying they don't believe all the panic buying "hype" and their stores have plenty. I guess it's all dependent on your locale but mine were pretty bare also. I cannot say if there is anything specifically "going on" but I spoke to various shop staff (being polite) and one told me that they hadn't had a delivery for 3 DAYS. Therefore, no stock to go on the shelves anyway.

I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything like that but I also think that the 'struggle' the shops are facing is more widespread than is being reported but; for obvious reasons; it's not being detailed so as to limit panic. I'm really, really hoping that the 'trend' WILL reach a peak - people will have stockpiled enough and groceries/supplies will return to a normal level (and so will people's shopping habits!) very soon - perhaps within a week or two.

Take care, Phsy.
Giro day?

If people are receiving their universal credit/PiP/benefit payment or pension, child benefit, monthly working tax payment etc then perhaps they are trying to catch up.

Agree the situation in stores is worse than we are being told.

Italy won't be producing tinned tomatoes pasta etc so there will be a limit arriving into stores.
i notice the supermarkets are steadily increasing their prices - nothing like price gouging in times of a crisis. If the news and social media reigned the panic buying scaremongering in a bit, it might calm down
Edited by: "AgentDaleCooper" 20th Mar
There's millions of people in the UK that don't do a weekly shopping.
The staff arn't taking dibs.
Over the course of a month 1000 people do their shopping. Some every week, some fortnightly, others once a month.
In the past 2 weeks through panic buying and scare mongering all those people are trying to shop in the same 2 week period. Maybe a quarter of which are arriving and nothing left therefore that quarter take it the next restock. Then the 3rd quarter take the next restock.
Put this on repeat every day for 2 weeks and bingo you have no stock.

To add, they also arn't just taking their normal supply, some people are doubling it, some people trebling it etc.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 20th Mar
They are hiring people which suggests they will have tons of stock coming in and it will go back to normal.
Spoke to someone living in Ireland this morning, they have no panic buying any more and it's returned to normal, the same will happen here
Edited by: "nakruseuk" 20th Mar
nakruseuk20/03/2020 11:02

Spoke to someone living in Ireland this morning, they have no panic buying …Spoke to someone living in Ireland this morning, they have no panic buying any more and it's returned to normal, the same will happen here

That's very encouraging. Let's hope so, eh? I wasn't worried for myself; as such; but some elderly I know were getting worried to the point of feeling ill over it. Telling them not to panic doesn't really cut it...
Local Sainsbury's getting emptier by the day. Only been forcing myself in to buy essentials for me neighbour and mum's family while they've stuck indoors. Here's hoping they can catch up soon. Don't envy the floor and till staff
AgentDaleCooper20/03/2020 10:57

i notice the supermarkets are steadily increasing their prices - nothing …i notice the supermarkets are steadily increasing their prices - nothing like price gouging in times of a crisis. If the news and social media reigned the panic buying scaremongering in a bit, it might calm down

Definitely agree, asda has always had deals on Chicago town pizzas, usually the 2 tiny 1s are either £1 or £1.25, they are now £2
Their 9" is now £3 from £2.
Well done Asda, when everyone is struggling you up your prices, thats loyalty for ya !
They should also stop idiots buying chest freezers to double up on stock piling.
Apparently, supermarkets will be drastically cutting product ranges to improve restocking, so fewer sizes and less selection of each product and presumably niche products could disappear off the shelf, and are even talking about asking for a police presence to deal with customers trying to flout the limits.

The government have also relaxed competition rules so that stock level information, and even distribution and staff can be shared.
Sainsbury's was low on beer
AgentDaleCooper20/03/2020 10:57

i notice the supermarkets are steadily increasing their prices - nothing …i notice the supermarkets are steadily increasing their prices - nothing like price gouging in times of a crisis. If the news and social media reigned the panic buying scaremongering in a bit, it might calm down

Pound plunges to its lowest level in over 30 years yesterday...
Cisco06060620/03/2020 11:48

Pound plunges to its lowest level in over 30 years yesterday...

Yes it did, however the impact wouldn't be felt yet and it wouldn't affect UK sourced products so that is not the reason.
It is probably the supermarkets rotating their usual weekly deals.
I haven't noticed any price increases. I bought some kitchen roll and toilet roll online in bulk (which is imported) and the price is the same as it always has been.
Edited by: "guru404" 20th Mar
Had to go to a total of 6 shops Tuesday and still only got around 50% of our usual shopping. All the staples had sold out , may be days before. Feel sorry for the old folk and others who can't run around to get some groceries, hope the people who are stock piling are feeling guilty. Wife is off shopping on her way home from work today to see if she can get veg and our usual Sunday roast , nothing around yesterday when she took her elderly Mum for her shopping. My daughter , who has 5 kids , fell fowl of a 4 tins of veg rule when she tried to buy 4 cans of beans , 2 tins of tomatoes and a pasta sauce. 2 cans of beans had to go back. It's all getting a bit much , the authorities don't want you going out but yet you have to spend hours every day getting something for a meal. May be rationing will make a come back?
Tesco extra Handforth

Was there at 7:30 am , shelves where bare

No toilet roll
No pasta
One box of sugar left
No milk
ashmac20/03/2020 12:18

Tesco extra Handforth Was there at 7:30 am , shelves where bare No toilet …Tesco extra Handforth Was there at 7:30 am , shelves where bare No toilet roll No pasta One box of sugar left No milk

This is the story across the country for almost two weeks and people say the supply chain is not broken.
I have spoken with colleagues in both Spain and Italy. After the initial panic, it took them about 2-3 weeks before stocks got to normal levels. Yes, they had some options reduced (only 10 toothpastes available instead of the usual 20) but nothing earth shaking.

I shopped this morning at both Waitrose and Sainsburys; toilet paper was available but no pasta or breakfast cereal.
tempt20/03/2020 12:22

This is the story across the country for almost two weeks and people say …This is the story across the country for almost two weeks and people say the supply chain is not broken.

I think most supermarkets just dont have the staff or are used to this sort of scale up so quick. Once they get it sorted, it should start to calm down. Most are hiring temps to cope. All the people who are stock piling, literally rooms worth, should be named and shamed.
Edited by: "AgentDaleCooper" 20th Mar
40146363-yZwKe.jpg
The big supermarkets aren't managing the situation very well, smaller sized stores round our way like Aldi, Lidl and Home Bargains are doing much better at getting stock in store thats for sure.
eslick20/03/2020 13:16

The big supermarkets aren't managing the situation very well, smaller …The big supermarkets aren't managing the situation very well, smaller sized stores round our way like Aldi, Lidl and Home Bargains are doing much better at getting stock in store thats for sure.

It is also because the smaller stores have a lot fewer SKUs to start with. The big ones are starting to do it but it will still lead to empty shelves which will induce more panic, unless it is explained that the empty shelves are because of a reduction in choice.
Shelves become bare because stupidity spreads faster than viruses.
My local Asda had plenty of fresh food but was wiped out of dried pasta and tinned goods. Loads of fresh pasta though with two weeks on the date and it can also be frozen. Also lots of ready meals and other chilled foods.
In our Morrisons, ASDA, Lidl, ALDI, TESCO there are absolutly nothing. Shocking to see this and people just go there take pictures, videos and upload them to different social media sties generate even more panic. It started with the toilet rolls and hand sanitizers. Now everything is empty and looks like they just do not bother fill it up. And it has been going on for days now.
In the last few days I only managed to buy 1 pack of toilet rolls (6 inside). Can not find more, even online or in the small corner shops. And I do not want to stock pile, just buy the essential that I always do, normal shopping.
Crazy days!
In Leicester where i live the shops might as well not open unless like another poster said, you wish to purchase mothers day stuff..... plenty of that
My other half has just been to Aldi & Iceland, he came back with meat, bread,milk, sugar, eggs and some other bits. I couldnt believe it! When i went the other day the meat, bread, eggs, milk was all gone! He only bought 1 of each item (except milk he got 2) but if everyone did the same then we'd all be ok to go back next week and buy as normal, unfortunately thats just not the case with some people.
Did a tour of my small city yesterday for a normal weekly shop. Big supermarkets at around lunchtime were gutted of fresh veg, fruit and meat. Same for frozen chicken. Eerily empty of people too.Most of the big supermarkets are in the more densely populated part of town. Working my way back to the less populated side of town, smaller supermarkets and independents had good stocks of everything bar chicken. Local greengrocer had full shelves. Chicken was the only product I failed to find anywhere, but plenty of alternatives. Thankful not to have to think about this again for a week. I think I'll be shopping in the small outlets next week.
I'll give it 7 days. Then fresh goods will be plentiful again.
splender20/03/2020 18:48

I'll give it 7 days. Then fresh goods will be plentiful again.

I prey ypu are right mate
Thursday (after #LockdownLondon rumours) fruit, veg, milk, meat, pasta everything was empty. Today was OK in the Sainsburys I went to this afternoon.

Stores are restocking throughout the day, but more people are buying at the same time. It'll slow down after a while once it's clear supplies aren't going to run out so people know there's no need to panic buy. At the moment, you are just taking shops word for it, but then you go in store and everythings empty so why would you believe supplies wont run out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants