Govt reaches out-of-court settlement with Guantanamo Bay detainees

Found 16th Nov 2010
In an out of court settlement that includes the condition of complete confidentiality it seems to me the government are trying to stop evidence being seen by the British public.

uk.reuters.com/art…116

91 Comments

Banned

Good to see that we won't condone being complicit in the torture of innocent people.

We all know what happens in Guantanamo anyway so the government can try and hide its disgusting acts nothing will change.

Banned

CollateralDamage

We all know what happens in Guantanamo anyway so the government can try … We all know what happens in Guantanamo anyway so the government can try and hide its disgusting acts nothing will change.

I think Labour was in power at the time actually.

Original Poster

JonnyTwoToes

I think Labour was in power at the time actually.

Yes, but like all governments they will always try and protect the system of government regardless (it is their bread and butter) and suppress any information that shows how undemocratic their actions are behind closed doors.

CollateralDamage

We all know what happens in Guantanamo anyway so the government can try … We all know what happens in Guantanamo anyway so the government can try and hide its disgusting acts nothing will change.

+1

Banned

Plum

Yes, but like all governments they will always try and protect the system … Yes, but like all governments they will always try and protect the system of government regardless (it is their bread and butter) and suppress any information that shows how undemocratic their actions are behind closed doors.

Up to you really but I put national security above the need for gossip mongering.

Banned

Inb4 the usual terrorist sympathisers...... oh wait!

I really buy his (Binyam Mohamed) reason for his trip to Afghan and Pakistan.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

I really buy his (Binyam Mohamed) reason for his trip to Afghan and … I really buy his (Binyam Mohamed) reason for his trip to Afghan and Pakistan.

Then he should be charged.....oh wait.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

I really buy his (Binyam Mohamed) reason for his trip to Afghan and … I really buy his (Binyam Mohamed) reason for his trip to Afghan and Pakistan.

Indeed...... And Richard Reid really was only wearing those shoes and didn't realise he was a walking bomb on a jet liner........... Of course the usual suspects will defend him for one obvious reason.

Banned

I like shoes.

Torture saves lives

Banned

boothy

Torture saves lives

I wouldn't go that far.

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

I wouldn't go that far.

I'd prefer they went further. (Serious)

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

I wouldn't go that far.

How far would you go?

Thumbscrews?

guv

I'd prefer they went further. (Serious)

I agree, torture them get the info you need then dispose of them.

Banned

Plum

Yes, but like all governments they will always try and protect the system … Yes, but like all governments they will always try and protect the system of government regardless (it is their bread and butter) and suppress any information that shows how undemocratic their actions are behind closed doors.

as much as you would like, you cannot hang this sin on the tories door. Luckily we wont see the scum that is the labour party back in power for decades!

csiman

as much as you would like, you cannot hang this sin on the tories door. … as much as you would like, you cannot hang this sin on the tories door. Luckily we wont see the scum that is the labour party back in power for decades!

I think Labour will return at the 1st attempt, but then I'm from traditional labour heartland

http://rlv.zcache.com/no_surrender_to_al_qaeda_sticker-p217244491928401765qjcl_400.jpg

Banned

... and that's why mums goto Iceland.

Banned

boothy

Are you a member of/do you support the EDL? (Serious question)

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

Do you ever think you'd be more at home in a country with Sharia law?

Why do you sound so much like 'the enemy'?

http://www.musicroom.com/Images/Catalogue/productpage/AM986106.jpg

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/35C6D092-8889-4B5D-99BF-E02DCB80602D/42-17592833.jpg

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

boothy

Good answer

JonnyTwoToes

You're the only member on here(serious answer)
Edited by: "boothy" 16th Nov 2010

Banned

boothy

You're the only member on here(serious answer)

Gee, that was clever......

Binyam Mohamed was training to blow up flats in the US using gas,
if we are at war then they should have been treated the same as any illegal combatants and shot,

FilthAndFurry

Do you ever think you'd be more at home in a country with Sharia law?Why … Do you ever think you'd be more at home in a country with Sharia law?Why do you sound so much like 'the enemy'?

Perhaps, can I sponge from the State and speak my mind/insult the war dead/serving service personnel in such a country, without fear of recompense?

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

Perhaps, can I sponge from the State and speak my mind/insult the war … Perhaps, can I sponge from the State and speak my mind/insult the war dead/serving service personnel in such a country, without fear of recompense?

Why would you fear recompense?

And really, would you miss that stuff? You get to torture people and degrade them. Ask yourself, which one is more you?

Banned

tonyg1962

Binyam Mohamed was training to blow up flats in the US using gas,

Cool.

Now all you have to do is convince a judge. Aaaaaaaaanndd..........

Go.

Banned

FilthAndFurry

Cool.Now all you have to do is convince a judge. … Cool.Now all you have to do is convince a judge. Aaaaaaaaanndd..........Go.

He looks like a terrorist, so he probably is.

STOP!

Original Poster

It always amazes me that those who shout so loudly (usually on their avatar) how much they are defending our Democratic culture are happy to have it seen as a culture of torture and repression.

It does also make me chuckle when those same people stick the Union Jack on a pair of underpants. If I had any time for flag waving I would see this as an insult (_;)

tonyg1962

Binyam Mohamed was training to blow up flats in the US using gas,if we … Binyam Mohamed was training to blow up flats in the US using gas,if we are at war then they should have been treated the same as any illegal combatants and shot,

I assume you were there also there to have such concrete info oO
Edited by: "Plum" 16th Nov 2010

Banned

tonyg1962

Binyam Mohamed was training to blow up flats in the US using gas,if we … Binyam Mohamed was training to blow up flats in the US using gas,if we are at war then they should have been treated the same as any illegal combatants and shot,

I'm no terrorist apologist but if another country invaded our country and you trained in weaponry to defend our country, do you think you should be shot if caught?

csiman

I'm no terrorist apologist but if another country invaded our country and … I'm no terrorist apologist but if another country invaded our country and you trained in weaponry to defend our country, do you think you should be shot if caught?

What country was he defending and whcih block of flats was it that invaded it,

Original Poster

tonyg1962

What country was he defending and whcih block of flats was it that … What country was he defending and whcih block of flats was it that invaded it,

Same place as the Weapons of Mass Destruction (another lie you probably believe).

Plum

Same place as the Weapons of Mass Destruction (another lie you probably … Same place as the Weapons of Mass Destruction (another lie you probably believe).

So Binyam Mohamed wasnt Ethiopean he was Iraqi,I really have got my facts messed up,

Original Poster

tonyg1962

So Binyam Mohamed wasnt Ethiopean he was Iraqi,I really have got my facts … So Binyam Mohamed wasnt Ethiopean he was Iraqi,I really have got my facts messed up,

Believing the CIA will do that to you.

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture

Putting aside the barbarity of this for a moment, Torture was given up by our intelligence services not because they had a change of heart, but because they realised it did not get the information they needed it actually got the information they thought they needed whether it was true or false. This actually means that the real information can comfortably hide amongst on the false statements as the result of torture.

So they found that actually Torture costs lives.

This is not even taking into account that it effectively produces "terrorists" from innocent victims and those who see it happening to their community.

I won't bother appealing to your humanity, because it seems clear on this matter it is none existent (pretty much the same mindset as the average "terrorist").

Edited by: "Plum" 16th Nov 2010
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition65707
    2. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions