GP charging ridiculous money to fill a form for travel insurance claim..

Found 23rd May 2015
During a recent trip abroad had to seek some emergency medical attention that wasn't covered under any treaty with UK so claiming the expenses through travel insurance I have in place. Insurance have sent several forms to fill, among them is one for my local GP to fill (mandatory). GP is asking £100 to fill this page and half form, is it reasonable? total claim is for about £450, if i have to pay GP £100 plus £50 for access for insurance, its not really working out well for me. What options do i have? can i complaint to anyone about GP charging unreasonable fee or do i have to suck up and pay? many thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
Community Updates
24 Comments
it is standard for GP's to charge for form filling about non-nhs services. They are there to help sick patients & anything else is taking up their valuable time. However, the cost of completion of some forms can be met by the insurance company, so always check to see if your insurance company will pay.
GP's are entitled to charge. Its usually a set fee but can vary if the GP wishes.
Can't you add the cost of the GP form to the insurance claim?
My G.P.has repeatedly filled forms in for me for sickness insurance the company L.V. are willing to pay me back up to£30.00 for the Doctor to fill this in.He charges me £19.00 and that was two days ago.Hundred is preposterous. oO
A lawyer is going to charge you three times more.Try filling in the form yourself and getting the doctors surgery to stamp it a lot of health records are online with a lot of practices.
If you're not happy then talk to the Surgery Practice Manager, they'll go through any charges with you.
Insurance has confirmed they won't cover the charge from gp to fill the form and without it they will refuse my claim.
discount4cash

A lawyer is going to charge you three times more.Try filling in the form … A lawyer is going to charge you three times more.Try filling in the form yourself and getting the doctors surgery to stamp it a lot of health records are online with a lot of practices.

really good idea. the receptionist can, if they have the authority, sign & stamp for a fraction of the fee. £100 is very excessive especially if the insurance company is not refunding the cost which forms part of your claim.
I'd also contact the insurance ombudsman if the company will not pay the cost of a mandatory Dr letter.
So Ridiculous to charge this much
My doc charges £10 for letters etc
your insurer is responsible for paying this fee. if they refuse then pay the gp yourself then when you have received your settlement write in and lodge a formal complaint with intention to go to ombudsman's
my mum needed an emergency operation while on holiday and the insurer wanted this form completed. her gp wanted £65 but would not complete the form until the money had been paid. the insurer promised to pay was not good enough.

I spoke to the gp Secretary to explain that my mum could die while the gp haggle over the payment of £65 quid. these doctors have no human feeling at all.
Best to get a quote from another GP at the same practice.
Doctors/GPs? It's all about money these days. Back in the day most doctor surgeries were run as a patient service. Now it's all about money, hence they are now run as a business.

Most surgeries will now charge whatever they feel like they can get away with as there are NO guidelines regarding pricing for forms/examinations. They know damn well that the patient usually has no choice but to pay.

If you speak to them, all you'll get is how busy they are, and how overrun the surgery is........... Never mind that the majority of GPs don't do nights/weekends, let alone late evening. Our local practice has 10 doctors, who all work a 4 day week...........over worked? Over paid more like.

If I were you, I'd ring around other surgeries and ask how much they charge for the form. You may well be surprised to find big variations in prices between GPs. I just had my group 2 medical done, my GP wanted £185, had it done at another surgery for £40. It's a standard group 2 medical, so the difference is simply my GPs greed.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will surely be contacting other surgeries for quotes and I think I will go ahead with the best I find to later claim from insurance. If they refuse to pay for it, ombudsman will be my last resort. Again thanks for your help.
Taliban_Army

Doctors/GPs? It's all about money these days. Back in the day most doctor … Doctors/GPs? It's all about money these days. Back in the day most doctor surgeries were run as a patient service. Now it's all about money, hence they are now run as a business. Most surgeries will now charge whatever they feel like they can get away with as there are NO guidelines regarding pricing for forms/examinations. They know damn well that the patient usually has no choice but to pay. If you speak to them, all you'll get is how busy they are, and how overrun the surgery is........... Never mind that the majority of GPs don't do nights/weekends, let alone late evening. Our local practice has 10 doctors, who all work a 4 day week...........over worked? Over paid more like. If I were you, I'd ring around other surgeries and ask how much they charge for the form. You may well be surprised to find big variations in prices between GPs. I just had my group 2 medical done, my GP wanted £185, had it done at another surgery for £40. It's a standard group 2 medical, so the difference is simply my GPs greed.

The GP surgery I worked at, in the last year, does not do any private work unless you are a registered (permanent - not temporary) patient at the surgery. They simply had / have no time to be doing this extra work.
They work 4 days a week? Next time you are there, ask them not how many days they work, but how many days they are at work. Their clinics may run Monday to Thursday, but more often than not, they come in on their days off as there is so much paperwork involved.
Of course, the patients don't know this because otherwise you have patients ringing to speak to their GP who isn't actually working; he's just trying to catch up on all the work already created without seeing more patients.

However, it is about money for many GP practices that are struggling through some very dire times. There have been several examples where they have had to close as it is not financially viable to continue.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 24th May 2015
mutley1

my mum needed an emergency operation while on holiday and the insurer … my mum needed an emergency operation while on holiday and the insurer wanted this form completed. her gp wanted £65 but would not complete the form until the money had been paid. the insurer promised to pay was not good enough. I spoke to the gp Secretary to explain that my mum could die while the gp haggle over the payment of £65 quid. these doctors have no human feeling at all.

So your mums life wasn't worth £65 then?
stuarthanley

So your mums life wasn't worth £65 then?

i would have had to travel from reading to east london to pay them cash at the gp surgery! which i said that i would have to do if they won't trust the insurer to pay their fee. luckily the secretary thought it was a stupid idea that they should refuse to complete the form if i was willing to pay them the fee if the insurer won't pay.

why would a multi billion pound insurer not pay their £65 bill? one that they had instructed the gp to invoice them. it wasn't me saying that the insurer will pay, it was the insurer instructing the gp to invoice them. what more faith do you need in people?
mutley1

i would have had to travel from reading to east london to pay them cash … i would have had to travel from reading to east london to pay them cash at the gp surgery! which i said that i would have to do if they won't trust the insurer to pay their fee. luckily the secretary thought it was a stupid idea that they should refuse to complete the form if i was willing to pay them the fee if the insurer won't pay.why would a multi billion pound insurer not pay their £65 bill? one that they had instructed the gp to invoice them. it wasn't me saying that the insurer will pay, it was the insurer instructing the gp to invoice them. what more faith do you need in people?

Its just your original post states that it was life and death and that your GP was haggling. The GP wasn't haggling. The fee was £65 and it was you that was haggling.
Your comment didn't read in your favour is basically what I am getting at.
stuarthanley

Its just your original post states that it was life and death and that … Its just your original post states that it was life and death and that your GP was haggling. The GP wasn't haggling. The fee was £65 and it was you that was haggling. Your comment didn't read in your favour is basically what I am getting at.

the insurer faxed the form over to the gp and asked that it be completed and faxed back to them and that they will pay the gp invoice for doing this. they asked that the gp fax over his invoice with the form and they will then send a cheque to settle it.

the gp replied back to state that he can not do this until the invoice had been paid and the £65 cleared into his bank account. the insurer replies that this will mean several days delays as the cheque will take time to arrive in the post and it will then take time to clear.

so the two of them were at logger heads. i said to the secretary i will pay the fee if this will resolve the problem as no one will be running away with this £65 fee. she said they can't accept credit cards so i would have to come to the surgery to pay in cash.

really? as a doctor, whose patient has been your patient for over 30 years, do you really want to ensure that the £65 is in your hand before you will complete the form when their life depended on it? why would you distrust someone so much that you thought they would not pay?
mutley1

the insurer faxed the form over to the gp and asked that it be completed … the insurer faxed the form over to the gp and asked that it be completed and faxed back to them and that they will pay the gp invoice for doing this. they asked that the gp fax over his invoice with the form and they will then send a cheque to settle it.the gp replied back to state that he can not do this until the invoice had been paid and the £65 cleared into his bank account. the insurer replies that this will mean several days delays as the cheque will take time to arrive in the post and it will then take time to clear.so the two of them were at logger heads. i said to the secretary i will pay the fee if this will resolve the problem as no one will be running away with this £65 fee. she said they can't accept credit cards so i would have to come to the surgery to pay in cash.really? as a doctor, whose patient has been your patient for over 30 years, do you really want to ensure that the £65 is in your hand before you will complete the form when their life depended on it? why would you distrust someone so much that you thought they would not pay?

It was life or death for your mum. The operation couldn't take place until the insurance paid up. The insurer wouldn't pay up until the GP had filled in the form. The GP wouldn't fill out the form until the £65 had been paid... and you were concerned that you'd got to drive from Reading to E London to do it.
This is how your original post reads.

It is silly that the GP wouldn't accept alternative forms of payment or even wait for payment but if it was life or death treatment, I know I wouldn't think twice about paying it, whatever needed to be done.
stuarthanley

It was life or death for your mum. The operation couldn't take place … It was life or death for your mum. The operation couldn't take place until the insurance paid up. The insurer wouldn't pay up until the GP had filled in the form. The GP wouldn't fill out the form until the £65 had been paid... and you were concerned that you'd got to drive from Reading to E London to do it.This is how your original post reads.It is silly that the GP wouldn't accept alternative forms of payment or even wait for payment but if it was life or death treatment, I know I wouldn't think twice about paying it, whatever needed to be done.

that was why i said that i would pay to resolve the problem.

however, it was disgraceful how the gp behaved. he should have known that the insurer will pay the invoice, it is not as if it was joe bloggs on benefits down the road promising to pay. i doubt if the insurer will not have sufficient funds to cover the £65 cost.

then even in the unlikely event that the insurer won't pay even though they said they would, would someone's family refuse to pay the poxy £65 fee? the problem here was not that the £65 fee had to be paid, it was the gp's unreasonable behaviour to have cash in hand before he will complete the required form.

we are talking about professional companies here, not drug deals in the back alley!

gps are all about money nowadays. no sympathy for patients.
Edited by: "mutley1" 24th May 2015
mutley1

that was why i said that i would pay to resolve the problem.however, it … that was why i said that i would pay to resolve the problem.however, it was disgraceful how the gp behaved. he should have known that the insurer will pay the invoice, it is not as if it was joe bloggs on benefits down the road promising to pay. i doubt if the insurer will not have sufficient funds to cover the £65 cost.then even in the unlikely event that the insurer won't pay even though they said they would, would someone's daughter refuse to pay the poxy £65 fee? the problem here was not that the £65 fee had to be paid, it was the gp's unreasonable behaviour to have cash in hand before he will complete the required form.we are talking about professional companies here, not drug deals in the back alley!gps are all about money nowadays. no sympathy for patients.

Would the operation have taken place if the insurer had refused to pay? I'm struggling to see how the GP was ever in a position where refusing to sign the paperwork would have stopped the operation.
stuarthanley

Would the operation have taken place if the insurer had refused to pay? … Would the operation have taken place if the insurer had refused to pay? I'm struggling to see how the GP was ever in a position where refusing to sign the paperwork would have stopped the operation.

the insurer wanted that form completed to assess if the medical condition was pre-existing. that is what these forms are for. until they can establish that, they would not promise to pay the hospital.

the hospital then would not carry out the operation until they had a promise from the insurer to pay for the operation. this is what foreign hospitals do. they will not operate until they know they will get paid and if you die, you die. not their problem.
mutley1

the insurer wanted that form completed to assess if the medical condition … the insurer wanted that form completed to assess if the medical condition was pre-existing. that is what these forms are for. until they can establish that, they would not promise to pay the hospital.the hospital then would not carry out the operation until they had a promise from the insurer to pay for the operation. this is what foreign hospitals do. they will not operate until they know they will get paid and if you die, you die. not their problem.

I see. Sounds like the whole system is FUBAR then.
Name and shame the insurance company. I'll not use them then.
stuarthanley

I see. Sounds like the whole system is FUBAR then. Name and shame the … I see. Sounds like the whole system is FUBAR then. Name and shame the insurance company. I'll not use them then.

already have. it is a hidden danger with travel insurance that most people are unaware.
if you need an operation that will cost thousands of pounds, my mum's was £30,000, but it could have been £100K, then the insurer will need to establish that your claim is valid. in order to do this, they need to establish that it is not a pre-existing condition that you have not declared and so would be an exclusion.

they can only establish this by getting your medical records from your gp. in my mum's case, they wanted 5 years of medical history.

foreign hospitals can not always risk carrying out expensive operations then no one pays their bill so they need to wait for the promise to pay from the insurer. some hospitals will operate and bill later, taking on the risk that they will not be paid, but others won't do this and so the patient dies.

some insurers will promise to pay then recover the cost from the patient or their estate if they subsequently die should the claim turn out to be an exclusion.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants