Groups

Gp refusing scan

Long story short. My mate has been told he should get a scan to see if anything broken in the back (checking out the spine and that), but it'll cost over £200 so we suggested that he should get in contact with his GP and get it done on the NHS. He came back and said the GP are refusing to refer him for a scan and said that he such get it done privately.

surely, he's paying his tax and the NHS should provide a service. I was shocked when he told me that he'd been refused. Where does he stand now?

** edit **
    ok, I did say long story short, but I guess it was too short... sorry.

He'd been in a car accident, and been to physio to sort out the whiplash and back pain. The physio says some areas of the spine doesn't seem right and suggested a scan at the cost of over £200. With Xmas coming up, money is short.

GP says he's too young for a scan. I was under the impression this was for x-rays - don't they limit the number of time you have an x-ray?

16 Comments

need more details. What might be broken and how?

Where does he stand now?

On a wobbly chair.... if nothing was broken before, it soon will be - at least he'll get his scan then :lol:

Original Poster

His back. think he said that it was a MRI scan that was needed

Banned

Who told him he needed a scan?

If the GP doesn't think he needs one, why should he get one?

toughCookie;6866579

His back. think he said that it was a MRI scan that was needed

Who told him that?

Banned

who has told him to get a scan, surely this person should be doing the referring

So 2 'experts' have looked at it and say it doesn't require an scan, why would your friend dispute it?

And yes you should pay if going against medical advice, otherwise you are just wasting scan dept resources.

if he has private healthcare then you don't qualify for NHS care.... but that's only if it was a private healthcare official that told him to go for a scan or was it some random in the pub that told him he needed one?

Original Poster

ok, I did say long story short, but I guess it was too short... sorry.

He'd been in a car accident, and been to physio to sort out the whiplash and back pain. The physio says some areas of the spine doesn't seem right and suggested a scan at the cost of over £200. With Xmas coming up, money is short.

GP says he's too young for a scan. I was under the impression this was for x-rays - don't they limit the number of time you have an x-ray?

PS, I've now updated the OP.

Banned

toughCookie;6866674

ok, I did say long story short, but I guess it was too short... … ok, I did say long story short, but I guess it was too short... sorry.He'd been in a car accident, and been to physio to sort out the whiplash and back pain. The physio says some areas of the spine doesn't seem right and suggested a scan at the cost of over £200. With Xmas coming up, money is short.GP says he's too young for a scan. I was under the impression this was for x-rays - don't they limit the number of time you have an x-ray?PS, I've now updated the OP.

im assuming the gp referred him to physio, if that is the case the physio should refer him back to the gp with his findings :?

cant he get one on the car insurance from the accident

jennie-jack;6866786

cant he get one on the car insurance from the accident

Would assume he would need a refferal for that, in which case they wouldn't be paying anyway.

the physio suggested a scan because it didn't seem right and knew the cost!?! sounds like insurance profiteering

I dont follow this?

Normal X-rays are done all the time... my kids have had them done to check for broken bones, I've even had x-rays at 9 months of pregnancy as they didn't think my hips were wide enough to open naturally for the baby... they will do them when they think the risk to the patient of NOT having the x-rays done is a greater risk than having them done.

I presume you are speaking about an MRI scan which is far more difficult to get on the NHS, but again they'll do it if they need to. My ex-husband had an MRI when he slipped two of the discs in his spine, took him over two yrs for his back to heal.

If the GP says the scan isn't necessary then it probably isnt? You could ask for a second opinion but you can't force them to treat you in a certain way just because that's how you wish to be treated.

I would have thought the physio would at the very least have put a letter together explaining what he/she thinks is wrong, why and they think an MRI scan might be needed. I'd say a gp would respond to this far better than a patient wandering in asking for one without anything to back it up.

Alfonse;6866869

the physio suggested a scan because it didn't seem right and knew the … the physio suggested a scan because it didn't seem right and knew the cost!?! sounds like insurance profiteering

Correct. without even reading the explanation, I guessed what it was.

Just a basic insurance scam. Nothing more nothing less
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp68
      2. What is there free to do in your town?914
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?1117
      4. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2881007

See more discussions