Expired

GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private

Found 22nd Aug 2017
Hi all,

a colleague of mine is going to Thailand and after waiting a month for an vaccine appointment for the trip, the nurse is saying they are saying they don't have any vaccinations as they are all out of stock?! seems a bit weird .

basically a waste of an appointment and told to just go private.
is that normal practice at a GP?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
TBH I don't see why the NHS should fund travel vaccines, surely that cost should be borne by the person choosing to travel abroad?
10 Comments
I work in a pharmacy and we recently received a bulletin stating that there is a worldwide shortage of vaccines and as a result they are only supplying them to hospitals at the moment. Vaccines tend to be a bit of a hit or a miss with supply issues but it has never been this bad. I'm unsure how much success your friend will have getting them privately but I don't think there is much hope of getting them on the NHS for the foreseeable future.
caffola6 m ago

I work in a pharmacy and we recently received a bulletin stating that …I work in a pharmacy and we recently received a bulletin stating that there is a worldwide shortage of vaccines and as a result they are only supplying them to hospitals at the moment. Vaccines tend to be a bit of a hit or a miss with supply issues but it has never been this bad. I'm unsure how much success your friend will have getting them privately but I don't think there is much hope of getting them on the NHS for the foreseeable future.

thanks , yeah looking into this further seems like a shortage on hep A. weird but i guess it can happen. thanks again.
TBH I don't see why the NHS should fund travel vaccines, surely that cost should be borne by the person choosing to travel abroad?
sicklysweet3 h, 48 m ago

TBH I don't see why the NHS should fund travel vaccines, surely that cost …TBH I don't see why the NHS should fund travel vaccines, surely that cost should be borne by the person choosing to travel abroad?

I sort of agree with you , although I've always had all my travel vaccinations at my GP, however if they no longer funded them I would pay privately. I think the issue is that a lot of people wouldn't bother and then the cost of treating potential illnesses that people come home with is far higher than the initial vaccination cost, so NHS would rather cover vaccines as in total it's probably more cost effective. I find it odd how people are prepared to pay for hols and not get essentials like vaccines and insurance but it seems to happen quite a lot
tinkerbellian4 h, 6 m ago

I sort of agree with you , although I've always had all my travel …I sort of agree with you , although I've always had all my travel vaccinations at my GP, however if they no longer funded them I would pay privately. I think the issue is that a lot of people wouldn't bother and then the cost of treating potential illnesses that people come home with is far higher than the initial vaccination cost, so NHS would rather cover vaccines as in total it's probably more cost effective. I find it odd how people are prepared to pay for hols and not get essentials like vaccines and insurance but it seems to happen quite a lot

It should be compulsory for people to get vaccinated where necessary and pay for it themselves before they go abroad. We have to do so for our dog when we go abroad, so don't see why this shouldn't be the same for humans!
mutley123rd Aug 2017

It should be compulsory for people to get vaccinated where necessary and …It should be compulsory for people to get vaccinated where necessary and pay for it themselves before they go abroad. We have to do so for our dog when we go abroad, so don't see why this shouldn't be the same for humans!

Probably coz your dog don’t pay €1000 month tax, I would expect them free
supplyuk32 m ago

if you have money to travel abroad to go on holiday, you have money to pay for vaccination. i pay more than 1000 euro a month in tax, but i don't expect to be given free vaccines when i go on holiday. i would rather the money be spent on other NHS services as we all know how stretched the NHS is already.
supplyuk15 h, 9 m ago

Well I do, I haven’t used the NHS in 20 years so it’s payback and they have dedicated travel clinics so can accommodate
They are having some major problems with vaccines

dw.com/en/…407

So....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions