Groups

GPD XD

I really want this console, however I can only import it.

Is it worth ordering it from Gearbest on a 5 day service and just paying the customs charges? Everywhere online for a weeks delivery is £180+

If I pay via a credit card, I should be covered if it's broken within a few months?

31 Comments

ebay.co.uk/itm…367

From the uk, no customs and your covered by paypal and ebay

Original Poster

That's £152 though. Gearbest have these for £111

superfreddy

That's £152 though. Gearbest have these for £111

Ah flash sale. I saw it as £124

Original Poster

ame2607

Ah flash sale. I saw it as £124

Is it 100% that DHL will charge me import fees?

Yeah afraid so

Original Poster

ame2607

Yeah afraid so

Is there a set amount so that I can work out if it's beneficial ordering from Gearbest?

Original Poster

ame2607

I think around £20-£28https://www.dutycalculator.com

Geez really? That's shocking. I guess I might as well go the ebay route.

Original Poster

Unless I just risk it from Gearbest on standard shipping - that way I won't pay fees right?

Where do I stand if I pay by credit card and something goes wrong?

superfreddy

Geez really? That's shocking. I guess I might as well go the ebay route.

I think so yeah (well based on that website). Maybe create another post about customs to get more specific information

you said gearbest has it for £111?

you won't need to pay any duty, (games consoles are zero rated) just vat if its from outside the EU (20%) so 22 quid extra, still cheaper than the eBay one posted!

Original Poster

iggyrufflebar

you said gearbest has it for £111?you won't need to pay any duty, (games … you said gearbest has it for £111?you won't need to pay any duty, (games consoles are zero rated) just vat if its from outside the EU (20%) so 22 quid extra, still cheaper than the eBay one posted!

It would be £111 + £8 for the express shipping, and then I guess they'd charge 20% (£22) - so only about £10 less than ebay. Am I not covered if I buy through Gearbest via a credit card?

superfreddy

It would be £111 + £8 for the express shipping, and then I guess they'd c … It would be £111 + £8 for the express shipping, and then I guess they'd charge 20% (£22) - so only about £10 less than ebay. Am I not covered if I buy through Gearbest via a credit card?

To be honest, it's not my field of expertise but i understand there's some level of protection atleast when compared to debit cards but think it ultimatly depends on the bank? Either way, having a quick look on review sites, gearbest seems to be a pretty solid company (havent bought from them myself)

superfreddy

It would be £111 + £8 for the express shipping, and then I guess they'd c … It would be £111 + £8 for the express shipping, and then I guess they'd charge 20% (£22) - so only about £10 less than ebay. Am I not covered if I buy through Gearbest via a credit card?

You pay by Paypal so yes your're covered.

Original Poster

I bought one from gearbest. Did the DHL thing and I'll just pay what I have to. Anyone know how long it actually takes to arrive?

Original Poster

I also paid by PayPal - does this mean I technically am covered with them for 180 days?

superfreddy

I also paid by PayPal - does this mean I technically am covered with them … I also paid by PayPal - does this mean I technically am covered with them for 180 days?

Paypal covers you + they've free returns so in the unlikely case you need to send it back you can claim back the cost of shipping as well.

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

Paypal covers you + they've free returns so in the unlikely case you need … Paypal covers you + they've free returns so in the unlikely case you need to send it back you can claim back the cost of shipping as well.

Just cancelled with Gearbest... a friend of mine told me they ordered via them and had a bill for £38 from DHL... makes it too expensive for me.

Really want one but UK stores are all £189...

superfreddy

Just cancelled with Gearbest... a friend of mine told me they ordered via … Just cancelled with Gearbest... a friend of mine told me they ordered via them and had a bill for £38 from DHL... makes it too expensive for me.Really want one but UK stores are all £189...

Why don't you order and use the standard 20 day shipping. Your're still getting it for £111, just that the wait is a bit longer.
    Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Jul

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

Why don't you order and use the standard 20 day shipping. Your're still … Why don't you order and use the standard 20 day shipping. Your're still getting it for £111, just that the wait is a bit longer.

3 weeks? Even then there's a chance I'll have to pay customs.

superfreddy

3 weeks? Even then there's a chance I'll have to pay customs.

On average it's 2 weeks and you don't pay any custom fees. You buy anything from the likes of Gearbest, Aliexpress. Banggood etc etc they never ship you the item with any invoice.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Jul

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

On average it's 2 weeks and you don't pay any custom fees. You buy … On average it's 2 weeks and you don't pay any custom fees. You buy anything from the likes of Gearbest, Aliexpress. Banggood etc etc they never ship you the item with any invoice.

Will I be covered if it doesn't arrive though? Would you buy something this expensive from China?

superfreddy

Will I be covered if it doesn't arrive though? Would you buy something … Will I be covered if it doesn't arrive though? Would you buy something this expensive from China?

You can buy insurance (extra $2-3 I think). I've bought over 60 items from China and never had a problem. The only problem I've had were the little items like $1-3 that has gone missing (from amazon and eBay). I've bought a few Chinese phones from Aliexpress and Banggood, 10 android TV boxes from Gearbest. I wouldn't think twice about buying from them because your're covered by Paypal. Out of the 10 android TV boxes 2 went faulty and I got a refund via opening a Paypal dispute case.
    Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 6th Jul

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

You can buy insurance (extra $2-3 I think). I've bought over 60 items … You can buy insurance (extra $2-3 I think). I've bought over 60 items from China and never had a problem. The only problem I've had were the little items like $1-3 that has gone missing (from amazon and eBay). I've bought a few Chinese phones from Aliexpress and Banggood, 10 android TV boxes from Gearbest. I wouldn't think twice about buying from them because your're covered by Paypal.

What about warranty though? What if it stops working after a few months?

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

You can buy insurance (extra $2-3 I think). I've bought over 60 items … You can buy insurance (extra $2-3 I think). I've bought over 60 items from China and never had a problem. The only problem I've had were the little items like $1-3 that has gone missing (from amazon and eBay). I've bought a few Chinese phones from Aliexpress and Banggood, 10 android TV boxes from Gearbest. I wouldn't think twice about buying from them because your're covered by Paypal. Out of the 10 android TV boxes 2 went faulty and I got a refund via opening a Paypal dispute case.

How far along did you open a dispute?

Send it back to them. Read comment 28 Paypal doing a promo, you can send it back to China and they will cover you (partly or fully, depending on who you talk to).

Original Poster

I have two options...

Buy from a seller on eBay from China at £117 via best offer I was given, or via Gearbest for £111 and pay £3 insurance they tell you to take...

superfreddy

I have two options...Buy from a seller on eBay from China at £117 via … I have two options...Buy from a seller on eBay from China at £117 via best offer I was given, or via Gearbest for £111 and pay £3 insurance they tell you to take...

I'd rather buy from Gearbest because I know the in's and out's of buying and returning things with 100% satisfaction.

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

I'd rather buy from Gearbest because I know the in's and out's of buying … I'd rather buy from Gearbest because I know the in's and out's of buying and returning things with 100% satisfaction.

Thank you. Would you pay the additional £3 insurance via Gearbest?

There are a lot of haters on here concerning buying things from China (some rightly and some wrongly). If you know the procedure and have a little bit of patience then buying from China is perfectly fine. I had a faulty android TV box and Gearbest tried to d-i-c-k me around (partial refund or pay them half for them to send out another one). If you know you have to open a Paypal dispute first then the ball is in your corner, you should get a full refund within 2 weeks. More expensive items just send it back to them for a full refund and let Paypal reimburse you for the shipping fees.

For piece of mind just pay that little extra for insurance (you was going to anyway).

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

There are a lot of haters on here concerning buying things from China … There are a lot of haters on here concerning buying things from China (some rightly and some wrongly). If you know the procedure and have a little bit of patience then buying from China is perfectly fine. I had a faulty android TV box and Gearbest tried to d-i-c-k me around (partial refund or pay them half for them to send out another one). If you know you have to open a Paypal dispute first then the ball is in your corner, you should get a full refund within 2 weeks. More expensive items just send it back to them for a full refund and let Paypal reimburse you for the shipping fees.For piece of mind just pay that little extra for insurance (you was going to anyway).

Thanks, appreciate that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2034
      2. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.22
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***923
      4. word survey1215

See more discussions