Groups

GPS Mobile

Not really into mobile phones, as long as they can make a call and the occasional text then I'm happy.. however I'm now looking to bring myself into the 21st century and get a new phone.. what i would really like is one with a built in GPS but one that doesn't rely on using the internet to run it, the only one i've seen uses google maps. is there such a mobile phone that can be used as a stand alone gps. don't use my mobile too much so i would prefer to stay on payg. any recommendations?

9 Comments

The New Nokia 5230 sounds right up your street I think its probably the cheapest GPS Mobile Phone out there (sub £100), especially as Nokia has made its OVI Maps free.

]http//ww…php

]http//ne…tml

Cheapest PAYG I can see is at Argos £99.99 ]http//ww…htm

Original Poster

Thank you cicobuff. Just the sort of thing i was looking for, and on vodafone too, bonus.

Have some rep for your help

Captain Hook;7672106

Thank you cicobuff. Just the sort of thing i was looking for, and on … Thank you cicobuff. Just the sort of thing i was looking for, and on vodafone too, bonus.Have some rep for your help

Cheers, its a touch screen phone, lacks WiFi, but has GPS built in, if WiFi is of benefit to you then consider spending more on the Nokia 5800 instead.

have to agree, both of the afore mentioned phones are fantastic value for money, I have the 5800 and the wife has the 5230 both are feature packed with the added bonus of inbuilt gps in both and the wifi is useful to myself on the 5800 :thumbsup:

scottydont;7672397

have to agree, both of the afore mentioned phones are fantastic value for … have to agree, both of the afore mentioned phones are fantastic value for money, I have the 5800 and the wife has the 5230 both are feature packed with the added bonus of inbuilt gps in both and the wifi is useful to myself on the 5800 :thumbsup:

Yeah, bang for buck especially now the Ovi Map Licenses are free, I don't think you can beat either of those phones.

I personally have the middle ground phone without GPS the Nokia 5530, has WiFi like the 5800 but no 3G or inbuilt GPS, although you can buy a bluetooth GPS receiver should you wish.

Original Poster

I think the 5230 is like hens teeth in Argos. all sold out in my area. :x looks perfect too

Captain Hook;7672525

I think the 5230 is like hens teeth in Argos. all sold out in my area. … I think the 5230 is like hens teeth in Argos. all sold out in my area. :x looks perfect too

I checked Carphonewarehouse, on their website its saying expected February 2010, my guess is although this phone was introduced to the market last August, its only just hitting the PAYG market.

This phone is brand new in the latest Argos catalogue, it could be that they have not taken any stocks of it at all as yet (not showing available for home delivery either), it would be more likely that than anything, although I can only summise. You could try customer services and enquiring?

Original Poster

cicobuff;7672759

I checked Carphonewarehouse, on their website its saying expected … I checked Carphonewarehouse, on their website its saying expected February 2010, my guess is although this phone was introduced to the market last August, its only just hitting the PAYG market.This phone is brand new in the latest Argos catalogue, it could be that they have not taken any stocks of it at all as yet (not showing available for home delivery either), it would be more likely that than anything, although I can only summise. You could try customer services and enquiring?

Thanks cicobuff, i'll keep my eyes open for this one. looks like it will be worth waiting for. :thumbsup:

Banned

you do realise that gps thing is actually a gimik?

still to find a mobile that has a reliable intergrated gps to use as a stand alone sat nav

always struggle to locate satelites

you are better off buying a bluetooth gps device for your phone
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions