Groups

GPS on a mobile.... can anyne help?

my bf is due his mobile upgrade in a few weeks and is after a moby he can recieve gps on, basically this is what he's after:

1:25k OS maps to create and track routes for mtb pref for free or cheapest possible...like viewranger software without paying £150

does anyone know which phone is best to recieve this?

thanks in advance for your help

6 Comments

you'll be hard pushed to find someone else to know what that means let alone get a meaningful response from them ! LOL...

me being one of them. I havent the foggiest, sorry! I just use the proprietary GPS Navigation software on my phone.

Banned

google translate is useless...

i think i can make some sense, proper gps for os maps is best used on a real gps, they have far far better battery life, are used much easier (try using a real phone with cold fingers and tell me its the same) and have screens that are tested in bright daylight, and are built more rugged (a phone will die near 0 tempertures and throw a fit if you get them even damp_

buy a proper gps, nothing else is near as good

Banned

Does the software have to allow the creation of routes in the first place?

I personally use this for my Hero on the Android platform mytracks.appspot.com/

My brother has just started using this for his Nokia 5800 - mapmytracks.com/

I noticed Viewranger is in development for Android. You should be able to download it for free from certain places, not entirely legally mind.

There isn't anything for free (my lads a mountain leader and takes groups out) and keeps being asked this.

If you want to use OS maps you've got to pay for it. Memory map is a good system and has a pocket pc prog to run maps on any ppc device but it's far from a free system but does use OS maps...

Original Poster

he's used to using 1:25000 scale OS maps and was wanting to convert this into gps for an off road bike trip across england.
    he's also had a look on his normal torrent sites for viewranger but couldnt find it...

Banned

michelle2207;8062476

he's used to using 1:25000 scale OS maps and was wanting to convert this … he's used to using 1:25000 scale OS maps and was wanting to convert this into gps for an off road bike trip across england. he's also had a look on his normal torrent sites for viewranger but couldnt find it...

It's not out for Android yet which is where you find a lot of paid apps for free. Same goes for iPhone too.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. advice needed on dumbell weight training please22
      2. BT deal34
      3. Any Just Eat Vouchers around?11
      4. Gaming Monitor11

See more discussions