Groups

GPS on Nokia 5800 - can I use it without internet?

I have Google Maps application installed, but when I want to use the app, it asks me to connect to the internet

I thought the 5800 had GPS built-in, so shouldn't it be working without the internet?

Thank you

12 Comments

The GPS device can provide the location data without using the internet (although it's much slower this way, make sure it's set to use the GPS receiver only if you don't want to use data with A-GPS disabled) however you do need the internet connection to download the relevent Google maps as they're not saved on the phone. For some software you can download the maps beforehand and then use the GPS device without any data.

John

You can but you need to download the lastest version of ovi maps free from the ovi store then you can use nokia map updater and download the uk maps to the phone its about 2 gig then the maps will work without the internet

hmmmmm

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;6280075

The GPS device can provide the location data without using the internet … The GPS device can provide the location data without using the internet (although it's much slower this way, make sure it's set to use the GPS receiver only if you don't want to use data with A-GPS disabled) however you do need the internet connection to download the relevent Google maps as they're not saved on the phone. For some software you can download the maps beforehand and then use the GPS device without any data.John

Thank you, please can you tell me how to set it to use the GPS receiver only - I had a search through the phone but cant find it?

oscarcherry;6280086

You can but you need to download the lastest version of ovi maps free … You can but you need to download the lastest version of ovi maps free from the ovi store then you can use nokia map updater and download the uk maps to the phone its about 2 gig then the maps will work without the internet

Thank you and welcome to HUKD :-D
    I searched 'Ovi maps' in the store but I don't know which ones to download? I don't mind having 2gb of maps stored in my phone as the memory is quite free at the moment.
    Please could you tell me which ones specifically I should download? Thank you

Just tell it NOT to go online and your using JUST the GPS and not A-GPS it's that simple.

Google maps NEEDS to be online as it only downloads the maps you need as and when needed.
    TO use GPS maps without the need to go online simple install a different map service
    several choices, full installation of Nokia maps, others are available such as Garmin, and you can even get a version of Tomtom Maps to work as well as others
    Google is a wonderful tool for finding information. my-symbian.com/s60…o=8
    whole selection there

Mrs.Z;6280151

Thank you, please can you tell me how to set it to use the GPS receiver … Thank you, please can you tell me how to set it to use the GPS receiver only - I had a search through the phone but cant find it?

Try opening the menu -> Applications -> Location -> Positioning -> Positioning Methods - you should have four options, Bluetooth GPS, Assisted GPS, Integrated GPS and Network Based. You want only Integrated GPS to have a tick beside it as this means the software will only use the internal GPS receiver however as I've mentioned above, it will take a lot longer to get the initial lock and the phone will probably need to be stationary outdoors or on a window sill.

John

oscarcherry;6280086

You can but you need to download the lastest version of ovi maps free … You can but you need to download the lastest version of ovi maps free from the ovi store then you can use nokia map updater and download the uk maps to the phone its about 2 gig then the maps will work without the internet

If you go to nokias web site under the download section you should find the map downloader app once it is on your pc run it and you will be able to download the Uk and euro maps which is 2 gig to your phone

Mark

how much data does it use? I used google maps yesterday on there, to get directions. Vodafone give me an allowance of 500mb

bargainhunter2009;6281522

how much data does it use? I used google maps yesterday on there, to get … how much data does it use? I used google maps yesterday on there, to get directions. Vodafone give me an allowance of 500mb

In general it doesn't use that much data although it's going to be dependent on how much distance you covered, how long you were driving etc. If it's a 5800 you have (or similar Nokia) you can check how much data you've used under the call log section. You can also try dialling 44555 and see if the text report gives you data usage, if you have MMS used at the bottom then you have the non-data version which is no use for checking data used. Unfortunately you can't change to the other version either.

John

Johnmcl7;6281767

In general it doesn't use that much data although it's going to be … In general it doesn't use that much data although it's going to be dependent on how much distance you covered, how long you were driving etc. If it's a 5800 you have (or similar Nokia) you can check how much data you've used under the call log section. You can also try dialling 44555 and see if the text report gives you data usage, if you have MMS used at the bottom then you have the non-data version which is no use for checking data used. Unfortunately you can't change to the other version either.John

Thanks, yes I have the 5800. It doesnt tell me in the txt reports of how much data I have used.

Is it the packet data I need to look at? Had the phone since June. It says that ALL data sent 59.74 mb and all data received 194.25 mb. Log duration 30 days

bargainhunter2009;6281782

Thanks, yes I have the 5800. It doesnt tell me in the txt reports of how … Thanks, yes I have the 5800. It doesnt tell me in the txt reports of how much data I have used.

Same here, it's extremely annoying...given MMS aren't inclusive on any package it seems daft to have an MMS counter.

Is it the packet data I need to look at? Had the phone since June. It … Is it the packet data I need to look at? Had the phone since June. It says that ALL data sent 59.74 mb and all data received 194.25 mb. Log duration 30 days

Yep, that's it - to get an idea how much data you're using for a specific application check the value before and after.

John

Make sure Assited GPS is off by going to Settings -> Phone -> Application Settings -> Positioning -> Positioning Methods.

And untick Assisted GPS.

Keep Integrated GPS ticked.

This will prevent you from being charged by your service provider but will take a little longer to connect.

The A-GPS helps lock on to satellites quicker using your networks signal and I think it costs somethink small like 45p one off cost each time you start a journey, which isn't too much but worth avoiding.

Regards,
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions