Expired

GPS Tracked Car Insurance - Are they worth it?

Found 11th Sep 2013
Hi all,

My car insurance is up next month and I am considering looking into the insurance companies which install a little GPS device in your car so they monitor how you drive, e.g. Drive like a Girl, Insure the box.

I am post bone marrow transplant and I literally drive like a girl now. I stick to the speed limit, no harsh acceleration or breaking and as I am not working at the moment I try and save as much fuel as possible.

Does anybody have any experience of these types of insurance companies? What other alternatives are there?

My insurance was quite high because I have been riding motorcycles my whole life and only just got around to driving last year so only have one years no claims discount on a car.

Thanks,

-c
Community Updates
15 Comments
If your a good driver they are a good way to save money. bell from admiral do the safe drivers box where you have a review after 6mths in the first policy term, and could end up having a refund, I spoke to somebody who had nearly £600 back from them after her review.
Original Poster
welshgirl1978

If your a good driver they are a good way to save money. bell from … If your a good driver they are a good way to save money. bell from admiral do the safe drivers box where you have a review after 6mths in the first policy term, and could end up having a refund, I spoke to somebody who had nearly £600 back from them after her review.

Really? Im already with Admiral so I might follow that up!
Original Poster
Admiral Little Box

Just went thought the site and I like how you had a drivers dashboard and you can monitor your driving on the website. Has anybody else had this fitted?
I'm with Bell and have this little b******, I mean box fitted ha. It brought down my insurance by about £50 per month but I can't say its affected my speed etc (when I log in to my online dashboard its a traffic light system they use to rate your driving and every one is red oops). For the first month or so I was really careful so I could get the discount but after a while you forget. The only thing to watch out for is if you change car or cancel your policy in the term as its a £30 fee to get the box removed/swapped over. Getting it fitted was easy enough took less than 5 minutes.
ceanth

Admiral Little BoxJust went thought the site and I like how you had a … Admiral Little BoxJust went thought the site and I like how you had a drivers dashboard and you can monitor your driving on the website. Has anybody else had this fitted?

bell.co.uk/

This is what I was talking about. I work for admiral and I've never dealt with a little box, but deal safe driver policies all the time.
Original Poster
welshgirl1978

http://www.bell.co.uk/This is what I was talking about. I work for … http://www.bell.co.uk/This is what I was talking about. I work for admiral and I've never dealt with a little box, but deal safe driver policies all the time.

Great thanks for the info. I wonder what exactly the difference is between the two. Little box seems to be advertised on their website but Bell isn't.

I will make a call to them tomorrow and find out the difference.
I think it's worth it. I'm with insurethebox and paid £550. My renewal quote recently: £370. I'm not a granny driver nor did I change my driving style. Of course I am sensible as in no harsh braking. I often drove after 11pm too. But, I always either get Green/Yellow on my Dashboard and earn about 70-100 bonus miles every month (max is 100 miles per month).

However, it is a double-edged sword. If you're one wacky driver, you're renewal would probably be through the roof. I do find the box is quite lenient though and you shouldn't have an problems in being scored as a bad driver. GL
I'm with Admiral renewal at 625. Cheapest comparison was 528 with one ofg these boxes.
I phoned Admiral and I got 495 with free protected no claims...
Have a chance at with Admiral always been cheapest for me for year and get reductions if you phone up renewals
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 12th Sep 2013
Banned
sparky111091

I'm with Bell and have this little b******, I mean box fitted ha. It … I'm with Bell and have this little b******, I mean box fitted ha. It brought down my insurance by about £50 per month but I can't say its affected my speed etc (when I log in to my online dashboard its a traffic light system they use to rate your driving and every one is red oops)..

1) £50 a month? WTF you driving a harrier jump jet?

2) Yeah it might not have slowed you down but wait till the insurance company see the data, then your prices go back up. I have a couple of dash cameras in my car but steered away from GPS ones as they track my speed. I don't drive like a noob BUT you doing 31mph prior to a crash then the other side will say how you were speeding and are a wreckless driver etc.

3) £50 a month, f***ing a month saved. Jesus with that type of saving I would be able to pay to fulfill my dream of Aneka Rice landing her "Challenge Aneka" helicopter in the back garden, running in and kissing me on the lips in front of Rhianna.
My saving would have been £50 for the entire year. Not worth it for ethical reasons imo. The idea of being constantly tracked is pretty shocking. Also I regularly drive at night and very early morning and the speed limit automatically unofficially increases at night.
I dont intend on getting the box/going with bell or any company owned by admiral such as diamond in November when my insurance is up so my rating has absolutely no affect on my new quote which is why I dont really care. My insurance was always ridiculously high despite only having a 1.2, no claims etc (but im under 25) but when I moved to a bad area last year thats what made me go for the bell policy as I was going to be 140 a month otherwise (got it down to 86 with the box). I've since moved again and going by compare the market I can now expect to pay roughly 40 when I renew. Car insurance is the worst :(.
Original Poster
TheShadowWalker

I think it's worth it. I'm with insurethebox and paid £550. My renewal … I think it's worth it. I'm with insurethebox and paid £550. My renewal quote recently: £370. I'm not a granny driver nor did I change my driving style. Of course I am sensible as in no harsh braking. I often drove after 11pm too. But, I always either get Green/Yellow on my Dashboard and earn about 70-100 bonus miles every month (max is 100 miles per month). However, it is a double-edged sword. If you're one wacky driver, you're renewal would probably be through the roof. I do find the box is quite lenient though and you shouldn't have an problems in being scored as a bad driver. GL

So are you saying you build up "points" in the first year and then the discount based on your driving is applied after the first year? I was under the impression that they give you some sort of cash back based on how safe your driving is during that policy period
ceanth

So are you saying you build up "points" in the first year and then the … So are you saying you build up "points" in the first year and then the discount based on your driving is applied after the first year? I was under the impression that they give you some sort of cash back based on how safe your driving is during that policy period

From what I've read in this thread, it is Bell and Admiral gives you Cashback for safe driving. I'm not with them but with Insurethebox, which offers up to 100 bonus miles per month (on top of the 6,000 miles policy) for good driving (and obviously takes it into account come renewing the policy, as evident of my renewal quote).
TheShadowWalker

From what I've read in this thread, it is Bell and Admiral gives you … From what I've read in this thread, it is Bell and Admiral gives you Cashback for safe driving. I'm not with them but with Insurethebox, which offers up to 100 bonus miles per month (on top of the 6,000 miles policy) for good driving (and obviously takes it into account come renewing the policy, as evident of my renewal quote).

You only get cash back once 6months into the first policy term. Your not limited to mileage with bell/admiral but if you tell them your doing less than you are they check at the review stage and will charge you for it.
Insure the box don't give cashback, they only reward you bonus points for how good you drive every month. I am with insure the box now (been with them for 2 years), my policy is ends next week Tuesday, i am not going to renew with them as their renewal is coming out £627 after two years no claims discount ( i am over 30). I earned 828 bonus points so far so a pretty good driver. I got a quote with aviva for £519, quidco cashback of £80 will make it £439. If they send me the £70 M&S voucher, then that wil be bingo for me. I suggest you try the other box companies who give monetary cashback and not insure the box as their rewards are of no use if you don't do more than 6,000 miles a year
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants