GPU for Poweredge Xeon E3-1225V3 3.2 GH ?

5 replies
Found 1st Dec 2016
I have one of these with a EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2Gb PCI-E Graphics Card from around a year ago, a couple of SSD and running Win 10 Pro like a dream. Silent.

Given that even today net of cashback I can get another Poweredge T20 for £200, what is the best bang for buck graphics card to add which doesn't need another power source ?

Alternatively, show me a spec for a similar machine for under £300 or under £400 with 16GB RAM, GPU, decent keyboard and mouse ?

Cheers

5 Comments

£200 for that spec seems pretty good, as for a graphics card that needs no power other than from the PCI... Probably a 1050 Ti.
Edited by: "xmadddx" 1st Dec 2016

You can always buy a dell PSU that can be used as power for the GPU Externally.
techinferno.com/ind…ts/
Some manual adjustment required for cables but doable, and you should be able to go up to GTX1070

Original Poster

sobi123

You can always buy a dell PSU that can be used as power for the GPU … You can always buy a dell PSU that can be used as power for the GPU Externally. https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6532-gtx970-dell-da-2-test-results/Some manual adjustment required for cables but doable, and you should be able to go up to GTX1070

I appreciate the option but swapping out the PSU is not a cost option or I'd just buy a different system. I just want an up to date alternative to the GPU I put in the system previously.

No worries, but just a heads up, it would not be swapping the psu but adding another externall one to the mix as a second one. Anyways I admit it's slightly complicated and couldn't be bothered to do it myself.
Problem with this server is it does not accept standard atx power supplies, so you're kind of stuck, unless you're gonna replace it with a server supply as well.

Original Poster

Yeah, I hear you but I am already running one as a PC with a 750ti card and 20GB RAM (I added HyperX FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 1866 MHz DDR3 CL10 for £51 - Nov 15).

All in that rig cost £170 + £100 + £51 + £29 (mouse, keyboard etc.) = £350.

Today it would cost £220 + £100 (?) + £100 (?) + £30 = £450 or thereabouts.

Looking at other options for similar money, I am not sure I can beat buying this again and converting into another PC ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…11
    2. Amazon New Christmas Gift Store - Not the best of suggestions.11
    3. Is this junction box wired properly??914
    4. Is there a way to add ethernet to MIFI device?34

See more discussions