Groups

graffitti ideas?

my son wants to learn how to graffitti (legally i might add,) has anyone got any ideas on books to learn how to?
    thanks in advance

23 Comments

I know Banksy. I'll speak to him, maybe get him to help your son.

His best bet is looking at pictures and developing a style.
    I assume he is taking art at school, if he has any art teacher worth his salt, that would be a good place to start.

At my school we recently brought in 2 well know Bristol based graffitti artists to work with the kids and primary feeder schools to paint 2 underpasses by the school. Was a fantastic 2 weeks!

Original Poster

DAMNOME

http://www.jngm.net/pix/Neighbourhood/newtown_sign.jpg

LOL

Original Poster

we have a beginners graffitti wall near where we live, but he doesent wanna look stupid, so wants heads up!

My nephew is thinking about getting into fly tipping, does anyone have any advice on how he can get started?

At the moment he's just throwing his empty crisp packets out of the window.

danmc

My nephew is thinking about getting into fly tipping, does anyone have … My nephew is thinking about getting into fly tipping, does anyone have any advice on how he can get started? At the moment he's just throwing his empty crisp packets out of the window.

Why would you even bother to spend time writing that. What you just said was not funny at all. It made me write this post, which takes time. Time that could have been used making money.

Neither did it help the OP who wants to help encourage their son into doing activities they will enjoy and also keep it legal.

So for the sake of everybody who posted in this thread, please delete your comment and leave.

^^^^^^^^

Ok,,,, that is a little weird...

oh look its the multi

If he likes the stencil side of graffiti then your son just needs an imagination, a pencil, an exacto knife and some spray paint. A site I used to visit regularly was:

stencilrevolution.com/

That site has quite a large user base with forums, galleries and tutorials.

Spray paint is an interesting medium as it is a bit unruly. I suppose you could get books to learn the theory behind it. Though I think sometimes it's best to just experiment and to learn from your mistakes.

Banned

Watch this film about top street artists (very good)

imdb.com/tit…07/

Banned

SkinnyPanda

Why would you even bother to spend time writing that. What you just said … Why would you even bother to spend time writing that. What you just said was not funny at all. It made me write this post, which takes time. Time that could have been used making money.Neither did it help the OP who wants to help encourage their son into doing activities they will enjoy and also keep it legal. So for the sake of everybody who posted in this thread, please delete your comment and leave.

I thought the comment was very appropriate actually, what kind of **** hole does the OP live in that has a beginners wall for graffiti?
    Edited by: "lumoruk" 10th Dec 2010

lumoruk

I thought the comment was very appropriate actually, what kind of **** … I thought the comment was very appropriate actually, what kind of **** hole does the OP live in that has a beginners wall for graffiti?

lol

As someone who has to send his workforce out cleaning up graffiti, and wasting public funds in doing so (it's a street cleansing team so have to take them away from cleaning streets to clear up this dross), I cannot see the point of the request, graffiti is an unattractive blot on our landscape, and in this day and age where I am being forced to make governments cuts, all I need is another ******* so called graffiti artist on the streets

Humphman

As someone who has to send his workforce out cleaning up graffiti, and … As someone who has to send his workforce out cleaning up graffiti, and wasting public funds in doing so (it's a street cleansing team so have to take them away from cleaning streets to clear up this dross), I cannot see the point of the request, graffiti is an unattractive blot on our landscape, and in this day and age where I am being forced to make governments cuts, all I need is another ******* so called graffiti artist on the streets

Who is to say that the graffiti artist in question is going to graffiti on the streets? The OP did state "legally", like watercolours, pencil line drawing, oil painting...graffiti is an art form like it or not, don't let your "job" cloud judgement of others motives.

Original Poster

lumoruk

I thought the comment was very appropriate actually, what kind of **** … I thought the comment was very appropriate actually, what kind of **** hole does the OP live in that has a beginners wall for graffiti?

i actually live in a lovely part of the country, poole in dorset. This wall encourages kids to use their talents in a controlled manner. No swearing, racism etc allowed. once the wall is full the kids have to paint themselves and begin again. As a result of this wall graffitti is not too bad.
    He is a complete beginner, i was thinking more of books initially.

Original Poster

SkinnyPanda

http://www.learngraffiti.net/home.htm

Thanks Skinny Panda

Original Poster

danmc

My nephew is thinking about getting into fly tipping, does anyone have … My nephew is thinking about getting into fly tipping, does anyone have any advice on how he can get started? At the moment he's just throwing his empty crisp packets out of the window.

Not even remotely funny

OP, I own all of these books and highly recommend them:

Spraycan Art
    amazon.co.uk/Spr…8-1

Subway Art
    amazon.co.uk/Sub…8-3

Graffiti World
    amazon.co.uk/Gra…8-2

The first two are genuine old skool books published in 1984 & 1987 and have got some amazing artwork in them - I used to try and copy certain pieces (on paper) when I was a kid which is what I suggest your son tries. Graffiti World is more modern (2004) and has almost 4 times as many pages as the other two, so would make a great present.

bossyboots

oh look its the multi

Brilliant, accuse me of something before looking at evidence. Oh and I love how you get annoyed when I post a comment saying how weird it is that you posted a huge picture of an overweight kid.

Been brought up before... people don't like the way I talk...

Haters gonna hate

SkinnyPanda

Brilliant, accuse me of something before looking at evidence. Oh and I … Brilliant, accuse me of something before looking at evidence. Oh and I love how you get annoyed when I post a comment saying how weird it is that you posted a huge picture of an overweight kid. Been brought up before... people don't like the way I talk...Haters gonna hate

Think you need to put that bottle down and put the kettle on oO

bossyboots

Think you need to put that bottle down and put the kettle on oO

http://col.hanslanda.com/img/haters-gonna-hate.gif
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7111342
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047109
      3. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1828
      4. Has anyone purchased tickets from ViaGoGo or Seatwave? 138255

See more discussions