Grainger Games

Found 19th Aug 2014
I received a game today which was not sealed - I paid full price and was sold as NEW it was ps4 game. After speaking to Grainger Games they advised that its in their website T&C that if they run out of stock they can use store ex display stock which are new but not sealed to send to customers - They said the game disks are stored away and are never used but the casing is not factory sealed.
But to me this is LIKE NEW or EX STOCK display - I am so peed of about this.. Never using this shop again.. There customer service sucks and am told to return the game if i want to - as if what they are doing is not wrong.
if I sold item on EBAY then it would have to be sealed to sell as NEW.. Am thinking about going to trading standards about this.. As i can't see how they can get away with it.
I want to make as many people aware of this before using this company.
I could not give this game i received today as present. You would instantly think its been open 2nd hand - Regardless if DLC works or not
Community Updates
48 Comments
How much cheaper was it?

Ideally i'd like a game thats sealed and new but if the price you're paying is a significant reduction, then so long as its not been used and is just ex display, i'd have no issues with it. All depends on the price though.
This is my point i paid full price it was Wolfenstein i paid 29.99 was bought from there site as NEW and i got some unsealed version. No discount..
There reply to me is that its in there terms and conditions that they can do if they run out stock.. They use ex store display products but make sure the game disk is new - This is how they get away with sending it unsealed
This is there T&C

2.4 When purchasing new items we always endeavour to deliver to you a factory sealed item. However, when we are low on stock of a certain item, this may not always be possible due to our store display policy.
You agreed to their T&Cs when buying the item, it is really up to you to read them before buying rather than to disagree with them afterwards.
Yep i am going to return the game -
Anyone reading this that is thinking of using Grainger games - Just be aware there is a good chance your brand new game that you maybe buying for someone's present may very well come not factory sealed and in Grainger games eyes they don't believe there doing anything wrong.
cdm22

You agreed to their T&Cs when buying the item, it is really up to you to … You agreed to their T&Cs when buying the item, it is really up to you to read them before buying rather than to disagree with them afterwards.

Who reads the T&C if someone advertising something as new then i don't doubt they will send a new product.. A company as big a Grainger games i don't accept to have to read the T & C
BTW this is the T & C at the bottom of there site - is nothing on the page when buying the game
FROM GRAINGER GAMES
" Whilst we do try to send out sealed items wherever possible, as we source items from our stores occasionally we are unable to do so as the boxes are unsealed so the games/manuals can be stored securely for security purposes (particularly with older games or items which are low in stock).
" That's there reply..

This is what i don't understand - Even If i was to buy from a shop NEW - I would still expect the game to be factory sealed..
To be this BS answer and what i am actually getting is a EX DISPLAY ITEM and it should be advertised as that..
Edited by: "cherrysweet" 19th Aug 2014
So the disc was fine? The booklets were included? The case and inlay were fine?

Am I right in thinking you were missing the equivalent of an A4 piece of paper's worth of plastic wrapping?

Or is there something else here?
I understand your annoyed about it but if you were going to open it anyway and all the dlc /codes etc is fine like poster above said it's no the end of the world.

However if you were intending to store away a sealed game for collection sake I woukd be annoyed too.

Also t's and c's are there for a reason. I read them on most sites once.

Just send it back.
It happened to me but as long as everything was there and it all works I don't see the problem with the case being on a shelf in a shop. Plus saved me having to unwrap the plastic..... Get a life
Retailers dont accept unsealed games back as new so they shouldnt sell unsealed games as new either. They shouldnt be allowed to create double standards.

Try using the exuses you are against the OP against a retailer to take return an unsealed game and see how far you get.

You might say well obviously because you might have played it, but same could be said about the unsealed games they sell. Theres nothing wrong with buying games previously played, but its wrong to sell them as 'new'.
cdm22

You agreed to their T&Cs when buying the item, it is really up to you to … You agreed to their T&Cs when buying the item, it is really up to you to read them before buying rather than to disagree with them afterwards.

cherrysweet

Who reads the T&C if someone advertising something as new then i don't … Who reads the T&C if someone advertising something as new then i don't doubt they will send a new product.. A company as big a Grainger games i don't accept to have to read the T & C BTW this is the T & C at the bottom of there site - is nothing on the page when buying the game

When do you accept that you need to read the Terms & Conditions of Sale in advance?

I know you are annoyed, but the policy seems clear to me.

As suggested, return the item & ask for a (full) refund as is your prerogative.

---

The Game Group/GAMEdigital (used to) do this too, by the way:

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…060 ]

---

PS. Even more reason to dislike this retailer:

[ gizmodo.co.uk/201…nt/ ]
[ gamesindustry.biz/art…ors ]
Edited by: "fanpages" 19th Aug 2014
fanpages

When do you accept that you need to read the Terms & Conditions of Sale … When do you accept that you need to read the Terms & Conditions of Sale in advance? I know you are annoyed, but the policy seems clear to me. As suggested, return the item & ask for a (full) refund as is your prerogative,

From the original post: "There customer service sucks and am told to return the game if i want to"

RiTSo

From the original post: "There customer service sucks and am told to … From the original post: "There customer service sucks and am told to return the game if i want to"

We both read the same text, then.
They're not doing anything wrong. alot of places have new but unsealed games as they put the boxes on the shop floor while still being new and unused. in regards to ebay i sell new and Unsealed games all the time because they're still new
pigbutty

It happened to me but as long as everything was there and it all works I … It happened to me but as long as everything was there and it all works I don't see the problem with the case being on a shelf in a shop. Plus saved me having to unwrap the plastic..... Get a life

Then you need get some balls and maybe a life then u might stop being so weak and a push over and then resulting to calling people names or telling them to get a life online.
I don't agree with receiving new items unopened. Would you give a unsealed ps4 game as a present, I very much doubt it.. It's a crazy rip off and people like you let them get away with.. More fool you, I won't use any retailer that's selling me there crappy opened items from there shops because they have shortish from there factory supply..
Edited by: "cherrysweet" 19th Aug 2014
Wow!
RiTSo

Wow!

he is crying his game did not come sealed :'(
seems he is so upset he cannot spell correctly.
Its bad enough they send out new unsealed blu-rays but to do it with full priced new video games is not on.I am never really happy posting blu-rays from there and try to post the really cheap ones so if they arent sealed people wont mind too much.
thebaron69

Its bad enough they send out new unsealed blu-rays but to do it with full … Its bad enough they send out new unsealed blu-rays but to do it with full priced new video games is not on.I am never really happy posting blu-rays from there and try to post the really cheap ones so if they arent sealed people wont mind too much.

ty
cherrysweet

Then you need get some balls and maybe a life then u might stop being so … Then you need get some balls and maybe a life then u might stop being so weak and a push over and then resulting to calling people names or telling them to get a life online.I don't agree with receiving new items unopened. Would you give a unsealed ps4 game as a present, I very much doubt it.. It's a crazy rip off and people like you let them get away with.. More fool you, I won't use any retailer that's selling me there crappy opened items from there shops because they have shortish from there factory supply..

Very sad you get upset over something so trivial you really must have nothing else going on in your life...... If your that bothered about a plastic seal buy in the shop and don't except it unless it's sealed...

Even in the shop if you take the case off the shelf and it's the last copy of the game in store they put the disc in that case and it's not sealed, what do you do not buy the game?

I once bought a tin of beans in Tesco.

I took the display tin off the shelf and handed it over to the cashier. The dude scanned it through and handed it back to me.

I was like WTF? This is a display tin and you are charging me full price? 39p for a display tin? I want a new one out the back if your charging me full price!

Some right cheeky mothers in this day and age I tell ya!
There are some really stupid people ITT.

If you purchase a PS4 game which is classed as 'new', it should come sealed. No excuses. And yes I am aware of their T&C's, hence why I have never purchased from them myself, nevertheless, most people do not read the full T&C's every single time they purchase something from another online retailer.

I can't think of any other retailer which does this, as it isn't standard business practice to send unsealed copies of games when they are supposed to be brand new. OP has done nothing wrong.
EVERYONE should be sympathetic here. If you wanted an unsealed as new copy you would have bought preowned and also saved a few quid.

I would be annoyed too and would return it on principle alone.

I have shopped with them before and they seem a less professional than say Game for example.

Few times I have been caught out and bought US imports from them and not known until I tried to trade them elsewhere and they were refused.

Feel a bit like a posh market stall to me. You just don't know if they will be there next week. Take your chances.
Why unseal something that comes from the manufacturer sealed, well usually the reason is the shop needs the box to display on shelves and "guts" the contents in to a drawer. in this case that has happened, then it's not sold, then gone back to the warehouse and sold online. I can see the OP's point but surely anyone reasonable would see it's not practical to enforce 100% sealed copies all of the time, unless it's a completely online only seller like Amazon or Shopto.

On a side note why do people get so fussy, it's a piece of plastic, with computer code on it. The way some people act is if it's been touched it's somehow worth very little - it's not a second hand tooth brush, it's a piece of plastic that can be wiped and then is exactly the same as before.
Would you rather you received no game at all or a brand new one without the wrapper? If you're not happy return the game.

I hope I never have to deal with you on Ebay.
deleted265520
Get over it lol
So you can tell if it's new or preowned. Because there is a price difference and it stops retailers selling preowned as new. If it was for me I would be happy with preowned but if like the OP it was bought to be gifted then it is important.

That little bit of cellophane is the only proof that the product is new, is genuine, not a counterfeit, is not preowned, been damaged and then resurfaced by the store. New means new and you expect that bit of cellophane.
What is your problem ?

You wanted the game at 29.99 u got the game for 29.99 u have to open it to play it they just saved u the job as long as it works and the dlc isnt used whats the problem

Even when u buy new from certain stores they are not sealed like hmv u take the box to the counter and they then get the game out of the draw and slide the manual in and disc in

Edited by: "ViperKeith" 19th Aug 2014
I bought a chair on Friday from Dunelm Mill. The store had none in stock so offered me the display model at 10% discount. I took it. The important parts here are offered and discount.
Edited by: "MightyName" 19th Aug 2014
MightyName

I bought a chair on Friday frumpy Dunelm Mill. The store had none in … I bought a chair on Friday frumpy Dunelm Mill. The store had none in stock so offered me the display model at 10% discount. I took it. The important parts here are offered and discount.

...and being aware of this in advance of the sale.
Transformers

I can't think of any other retailer which does this, as it isn't standard … I can't think of any other retailer which does this, as it isn't standard business practice to send unsealed copies of games when they are supposed to be brand new. OP has done nothing wrong.

As I mentioned above, The Game Group (now GAMEdigital) have done this previously.

TheGameCollection.net had a habit of doing this in the past.

A few years ago now, granted, but I have also received an order from Shopto.net that was not sealed but sold as new.
NEtech

I once bought a tin of beans in Tesco.I took the display tin off the … I once bought a tin of beans in Tesco.I took the display tin off the shelf and handed it over to the cashier. The dude scanned it through and handed it back to me.I was like WTF? This is a display tin and you are charging me full price? 39p for a display tin? I want a new one out the back if your charging me full price!Some right cheeky mothers in this day and age I tell ya!

That has to be the dumbest comparison I have ever seen lol. The Tins of beans are brand new and have not been opened.

You sir should refrain from any further comments as that's the funniest but dumbest thing I have ever read lol
Oh. and cherrysweet. I totally agree with you. If you buy an item as new you expect it sealed. If you buy a TV or a stereo and it came with the tape missing or it looked open you would refuse it. I have seen discs returned that are damaged and have had that disc scratch device clean the disc to make it look new as they swapped it and said it didn't work. I surely would not accept an opened game from Grainger etc advertised as new.
Don't other game shops (like GAME) have the same policy? I thought it was the norm.
The things shops do these days, unbelievable. Definitely going to tell everyone about Grainger!
fanpages

As I mentioned above, The Game Group (now GAMEdigital) have done this … As I mentioned above, The Game Group (now GAMEdigital) have done this previously.TheGameCollection.net had a habit of doing this in the past.A few years ago now, granted, but I have also received an order from Shopto.net that was not sealed but sold as new.

Fair enough, but the vast majority of online retailers do not do this, and for good reason.
I've worked in an online warehouse before and often the outer plastic wrap on products would tear or get raggy and for practical reasons it was just removed completely. We still sold those goods as new. Same with returns - we didn't always have the facilities to re-wrap products to the standard they're wrapped in at the point of manufacture, but we still sold them as new.

Now I work for a well-known high-street store on the electrical beauty department. Customers often open boxes to inspect products - we have no problem with cutting sellotape seals on boxes to let people have a look. Again, we sell these as new because they are new.
Perhaps if they didn't 'hide' the fact in the T & C's and put it on the product page, customers could make an informed decision. After all it is the games retailers who often make the destinction between sealed and opened - in their returns policy. I agree with the OP. New is new and shop display is not new. Grainger games also sell used games so how do you know which you have received. Why don't the shops ask for a couple of empty boxes to use for display purposes.
Edited by: "Pandamansays" 20th Aug 2014
josephmccowie

I've worked in an online warehouse before and often the outer plastic … I've worked in an online warehouse before and often the outer plastic wrap on products would tear or get raggy and for practical reasons it was just removed completely. We still sold those goods as new. Same with returns - we didn't always have the facilities to re-wrap products to the standard they're wrapped in at the point of manufacture, but we still sold them as new.Now I work for a well-known high-street store on the electrical beauty department. Customers often open boxes to inspect products - we have no problem with cutting sellotape seals on boxes to let people have a look. Again, we sell these as new because they are new.

The difference with that is, if a customer wants a manufactured sealed box, at the point of purchase they can demand one. Whereas online you have to wait until it arrives, and then go through the bother of arranging a return if it is not factory sealed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants