Groups

grammar help

which one is correct or are any of them actually incorrect?

"tailored, to put you at the centre"

"tailored to put you at the centre"

I wanted to add the comma to create emphasis but not sure if it's grammatically correct?

thanks to anyone that can help.

Top comments

If in doubt follow the rules
    1.Ask fanpages
    2.Follow rule 1

little_green

a fan page for what... grammar?

https://i.giphy.com/gN8hMCVPTINdC.gif

It's actually a semi-col...

Oh, hi fanpages
    38 Comments

without the comma

What's the whole sentence?

If in doubt follow the rules
    1.Ask fanpages
    2.Follow rule 1

archer1204

If in doubt follow the rules 1.Ask fanpages 2.Follow rule 1

pretty much what he said X)

Original Poster

archer1204

If in doubt follow the rules 1.Ask fanpages 2.Follow rule 1

thanks for the helpful responses

little_green

https://i.giphy.com/gN8hMCVPTINdC.gif

deeky

That looks very, therapeutic.

deeky

What's the whole sentence?

Answer "tailored to put you at the centre" of attention.
    Have I done this right Fanpages X)

summerof76

Answer "tailored to put you at the centre" of attention.Have I done this … Answer "tailored to put you at the centre" of attention.Have I done this right Fanpages X)

It's 'fanpages'

If I were trying to emphasise your sentence, id've just put the "you" in uppercase.

"tailored to put YOU at the centre"

deeky

It's 'fanpages'

I know that

Without the comma

Semi-colon...

"Tailored; to put you at the centre."

...but, even then, it is a nonsense statement.

PS.

little_green

Which one is correct, or are either of them actually incorrect?

^ Fixed.

It's actually a semi-col...

Oh, hi fanpages

PPS.

little_green

I wanted to add the comma to create emphasis but not sure if it's … I wanted to add the comma to create emphasis but not sure if it's grammatically correct?\x09

^ Question mark not needed.

fanpages

PPS.^ Question mark not needed.

This is why I fackin love you ....full homo X) (not you miles)

"tailored to put http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/285x214/419446_1.jpg at the centre"

arcangel111

This is why I fackin love you ....full homo X) (not you miles)

Don't you mean
    youtube.com/wat…eIo instead of full homo?
    X)

Edited by: "philphil61" 8th May

Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" doesn't actually make any sense. How do you tailor something to put someone at the centre?

3guesses

Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" doesn't … Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" doesn't actually make any sense. How do you tailor something to put someone at the centre?

cut a hole in the middle for the person?

brilly

Does cutting a hole constitute tailoring???

philphil61

Don't you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo instead of … Don't you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo instead of full homo?:pX)

hey .. i ain't no tard

3guesses

Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" … Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" doesn't actually make any sense. How do you tailor something to put someone at the centre?

brilly

3guesses

If it is a bespoke hole, then yes.

3guesses

Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" doesn't … Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" doesn't actually make any sense. How do you tailor something to put someone at the centre?

example

A training course can be tailored to make someone more proficient thereby putting them in the "centre" of the job market for their profession.

philphil61

exampleA training course can be tailored to make someone more proficient … exampleA training course can be tailored to make someone more proficient thereby putting them in the "centre" of the job market for their profession.

Only in the centre!, not at the bottom or preferably the TOP!

Moonwolf1976

Only in the centre!, not at the bottom or preferably the TOP!

If you was at the top why would you need further training?

philphil61

If you was at the top why would you need further training? :p;):)

Ok you have a valid point there, but is it at the centre or the bottom!

Just stick her in a care home.....ah sorry I only read the title.

fanpages

Semi-colon..."Tailored; to put you at the centre."...but, even then, it is … Semi-colon..."Tailored; to put you at the centre."...but, even then, it is a nonsense statement.

Both sides of a semi-colon need to be usable as independent sentences.

As for the original question I would argue that both uses are valid grammar. Commas can be used to separate an introductory phrase from the rest of the sentence with a pause. It is a bit clunky though.

summerof76

Answer "tailored to put you at the centre" of attention.Have I done this … Answer "tailored to put you at the centre" of attention.Have I done this right Fanpages X)

That's not a proper sentence

chocci

That's not a proper sentence

You missed the joke chocci (_;)

philphil61

exampleA training course can be tailored to make someone more proficient … exampleA training course can be tailored to make someone more proficient thereby putting them in the "centre" of the job market for their profession.

Right, so the course was tailored to make someone more proficient; it wasn't tailored to put someone at the centre...

3guesses

Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" … Personally, I would say that "tailored to put you at the centre" doesn't actually make any sense. How do you tailor something to put someone at the centre?

brilly

3guesses

Wow, I'm officially a tailor!

3guesses

Right, so the course was tailored to make someone more proficient; it … Right, so the course was tailored to make someone more proficient; it wasn't tailored to put someone at the centre...

OMG
    Imagime you had 25 models and you needed to take a decent photograph to a magazine article and to make the shot more pleasing to the eye all the models were asked to stand in size order then each next tallest model would take a position on opposite sides to the tallest

Therefore the shot was tailored to suit the tallest model at the centre in the photographic composition

abigsmurf

...It is a bit clunky though.

Yes, I think we are all in agreement that the sentence is not complete, &/or the context is required to provide a worthwhile suggestion.

philphil61

OMGImagime you had 25 models and you needed to take a decent photograph … OMGImagime you had 25 models and you needed to take a decent photograph to a magazine article and to make the shot more pleasing to the eye all the models were asked to stand in size order then each next tallest model would take a position on opposite sides to the tallestTherefore the shot was tailored to suit the tallest model at the centre in the photographic composition

So now it's "tailored to suit ..." How about somehow crowbarring together an English sentence using the phrase "tailored to put you at the centre" which also isn't nonsensical?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.68
      2. Jury service1823
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?616
      4. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??44

See more discussions