Groups

GRAND PRIX 2011

Banned
    Woke up at 7am just in time to get the start so missed all the pre race build up.

Can anyone explain the DRS system they keep on talking about?

31 Comments

DRS (Drag Reduction System) = ajustable rear wing. It opens the rear wing up which reduces drag. If you watch on the wings when it is used you will see a gap in the wing and then it will close when they brake.

Can only be deployed on a certain straight and only if the car was within 1 second of the car in front at a marker earlier in the lap.

Original Poster Banned

CyDoNiA

DRS (Drag Reduction System) = ajustable rear wing. It opens the rear wing … DRS (Drag Reduction System) = ajustable rear wing. It opens the rear wing up which reduces drag. If you watch on the wings when it is used you will see a gap in the wing and then it will close when they brake.Can only be deployed on a certain straight and only if the car was within 1 second of the car in front at a marker earlier in the lap.

One tech too far maybe? Cheers for the explanation.

Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 27th Mar 2011

Introduced to try to aid overtaking but didn't seem amazingly effective in this race atleast.

Surely it should be done anywhere on the track so it aids overtaking more?

On that straight it only happened once with button, but if it was on the track then you would of seen button overtaking massa, alonso putting more pressure on JB, aswell as throughout the field more overtaking!?

Original Poster Banned

Am I right in hearing the the RedBulls didn't even have it fitted?

thought RB didn't have kerrs?

Original Poster Banned

astonmart4321

thought RB didn't have kerrs?

Now I'm getting confused - what is kerrs?

JonnyTwoToes

Now I'm getting confused - what is kerrs?

Kinetic Energy Recovery System - it partially fills up a battery under braking so the car can gain a boost when needed on the push of a button. Again this is limited and is refilled each lap.

JonnyTwoToes

Am I right in hearing the the RedBulls didn't even have it fitted?

Thought they had it fitted, but it wasn't working which is why they haven't used it.

The intro of both of them made no difference to a rather boring race with no overtaking that mattered ........

Indycar racing at 5pm on SkySports will show us some real racing :-)

At least the F1 stuck to it's tradition of a extremely dull season opener.

Syzable

At least the F1 stuck to it's tradition of a extremely dull season opener.

Same can be said for every race...............yawn

Banned

Extremely boring race (as per usual)

I get more excitement from my local car park on shopping day !

Really found it boring? Are you all really into F1 or just watch the races? If you follow the teams daily, all the testing, practicing, and read all the news and gossip it makes F1 a lot more fun, if you just sit down on race day to see drama then I can see how it could be boring.

Also good to have a laptop or mobile running an application with all the live data as the race unfolds otherwise all you know is what the commentators are telling you and the limited data you get on the tv.

Glad to see Coulthard is still as biased towards Red Bull as ever, his other employer can do no wrong but he was very excited that Hamiltons floor might be so sufficiently damaged that the plank was worn below permitted limits and he might be penalised. I struggle to see how it's fair that a commentator / pundit can be paid and retained by one of the teams, he is always going to take their side.

If you are such an expert, Coultard also drove for Mclaren and Williams. I therefore fail to see bias on the grounds you state.

Banned

can you believe i slept through it.....5pm here as well.

too many drugs last night

Banned

DRS seems like a good idea & could of worked but its just been ruined by rules on the use of it

coulthard doesnt like anyone doing well in a maclaren as he used to drive macleren / merc ( which was one of the best cars at the time ) and he didn't ever do that great as he's just a rubbish driver , so it's a bit of jelously me thinks
    Edited by: "astonmart4321" 27th Mar 2011

I thought it was a good race, everyone is getting to grips still with the systems and tyres so I wouldnt give up hope yet.

Malaysia is next and there are some good straights there, the straight at Albert park wasn't long enough for the DRS to be utilized fully, you could see from the graphics that the cars were 15/20kph faster but that was just as they approached the braking zone, if they had another few hundred metresm I think there would have been a bit more overtaking.

As for red bull they do have KERS but today they decided not to run it so they would have saved a few kilograms which would have allowed them to play around with balast more to set up the balance of the car, plus the KERS changes the way the rear brakes work and sometimes can be a disadvantage if a driver can't get to grips with it (prime example fisichella going to Ferrari in 09)

I'm excited for the rest of the season, great to see the boys at mclaren really worked hard to get an upgrade after winter testing to actualy get that car competitive. Grats to petrov today also and to Perez for only making one stop with the new tyres.
    As for tyres there will be tracks later on with much higher degradation rate so we should see some more strategic elements thrown in also.

Ok I've been rambling on to long now lol

I've just realized that sauber got disqualified for a technical infringement, still was a good drive from Perez though

Edited by: "numptyj" 27th Mar 2011

Original Poster Banned

numptyj

I thought it was a good race, everyone is getting to grips still with the … I thought it was a good race, everyone is getting to grips still with the systems and tyres so I wouldnt give up hope yet.Malaysia is next and there are some good straights there, the straight at Albert park wasn't long enough for the DRS to be utilized fully, you could see from the graphics that the cars were 15/20kph faster but that was just as they approached the braking zone, if they had another few hundred metresm I think there would have been a bit more overtaking.As for red bull they do have KERS but today they decided not to run it so they would have said a few kilograms which would have allowed them to play around with balast more to set up the balance of the car, plus the KERS changes the way the rear brakes work and sometimes can be a disadvantage if a driver can't get to grips with it (prime example fisichella going to Ferrari in 09) I'm excited for the rest of the season, great to see the boys at mclaren really worked hard to get an upgrade after winter testing to actualy get that car competitive. Grays to petrov today also and to Perez for only making one stop with the new tyres.As for tyres there will be tracks later on with much higher degradation rate so we should see some more strategic elements thrown in also.Ok I've been rambling on to long now lol

Great post!

Could someone explain the 107% rule they kept talking about in qualifying?

sancho1983

Could someone explain the 107% rule they kept talking about in qualifying?

There are 3 sessions in qualifying. Take the fastest time in the first qualifying session, add 7% to it, then that new figure is the lap time that everyone has to be inside in order for them to compete in the race.

E.g fastest lap time of 1.30 add 7% = 1.36.3 lap time that everyone has to bet if they wanna race. Make sense?
    Edited by: "numptyj" 27th Mar 2011

Think so.

So even if they were in the 'safe zone' they could go out if they were more than 107% of the leader?

And they don't even race? Not just back of the grid, that's it they're out?

sancho1983

Think so.So even if they were in the 'safe zone' they could go out if … Think so.So even if they were in the 'safe zone' they could go out if they were more than 107% of the leader? And they don't even race? Not just back of the grid, that's it they're out?

well tbh F1 is seen as pinnacle of motorsport, in that above example, if you cant be within 6.3 seconds of the fastest time then its a bit of a shambles for you to be racing, the lower formula GP2 would only be 10 seconds or so off the F1 pace.

As again in the above example the safe zone would be within 6.3 secs of 1.30 and yup if they set a 1.37 etc then they wouldnt race, unless it was exceptional circumstance and the other teams came to an agreement to let them race.

Makes sense I suppose. Pretty disastrous for a team though if they're that far off

sancho1983

Makes sense I suppose. Pretty disastrous for a team though if they're … Makes sense I suppose. Pretty disastrous for a team though if they're that far off

yeah that Hispania are a joke tbh. No testing on their new car at all Before or during testing brand new cars go through a 'shakedown' where components are tested The Hispania team were basically doing that yesterday in a qualifying session. They were a good couple of seconds off the pace so god knows how a team with such a limited operating budget are going to claw that back through performance upgrades.

tonyd19565

If you are such an expert, Coultard also drove for Mclaren and Williams. … If you are such an expert, Coultard also drove for Mclaren and Williams. I therefore fail to see bias on the grounds you state.

No need to get stroppy about it, I am far from the only person who can see his obvious bias! I didn't say he didn't drive for any other team, but just because he once drove for them doesn't mean he has to have a love for them. Sadly for Coulthard Schumacher was at his prime when David was doing well and he couldn't get near the top step of the podium as Schumacher had it reserved. Other drivers didn't look half as good as they were because Schumacher was on fire and his car was on top form. Coulthard also didn't have an easy time with Hakkinen as a team mate, he out raced David much of the time.

All that adds up to a time of frustration, he doesn't hate McLaren but he is paid by Red Bull, so who is he going to favour? I just think its wrong, you wouldn't allow a football commentator to be so vocal about his team over the other, even more so if one of the teams paid him £4 million as a consultant, which is how much Red Bill are rumoured to be paying Coulthard.

So, come race time, a McLaren does something wrong and he is jumping up and down, a Red Bull makes a mistake and its no big deal and should be ignored - not really impartial!

m4rc

No need to get stroppy about it, I am far from the only person who can … No need to get stroppy about it, I am far from the only person who can see his obvious bias! I didn't say he didn't drive for any other team, but just because he once drove for them doesn't mean he has to have a love for them. Sadly for Coulthard Schumacher was at his prime when David was doing well and he couldn't get near the top step of the podium as Schumacher had it reserved. Other drivers didn't look half as good as they were because Schumacher was on fire and his car was on top form. Coulthard also didn't have an easy time with Hakkinen as a team mate, he out raced David much of the time.All that adds up to a time of frustration, he doesn't hate McLaren but he is paid by Red Bull, so who is he going to favour? I just think its wrong, you wouldn't allow a football commentator to be so vocal about his team over the other, even more so if one of the teams paid him £4 million as a consultant, which is how much Red Bill are rumoured to be paying Coulthard.So, come race time, a McLaren does something wrong and he is jumping up and down, a Red Bull makes a mistake and its no big deal and should be ignored - not really impartial!

I can see what you're getting at with his 'bias' but he does have a close connection to the team, and even Christian Horner said yesterday I believe on the F1 forum that DC drives the show car for red bull also.
    I dont think he was excited about Hamiltons floor being damaged or that he wanted him to get a penalty. I think he was just being quite vocal in pointing out about the undertray and the implications that could have on plank wear in scruitineering afterwards, as many people watching F1 might not have a technical interest and realise the consequences of an undertray being broken.

You also make reference to Schumi, I think Vettel is looking very much like his German counterpart after that 1st world championship Vettel just seems to be in the zone and so relaxed out of the car.
    He dominated qualy, and that race yesterday and unless the others can catch up quick to him and redbull, I can see him walking away with races just like Schumi did at Ferrari.

Edited by: "numptyj" 28th Mar 2011

Banned

numptyj

As for red bull they do have KERS but today they decided not to run it so … As for red bull they do have KERS but today they decided not to run it so they would have saved a few kilograms which would have allowed them to play around with balast more to set up the balance of the car, plus the KERS changes the way the rear brakes work and sometimes can be a disadvantage if a driver can't get to grips with it (prime example fisichella going to Ferrari in 09)

there has been a lot of speculation regarding redbulls modified version of kerrs....which apprently is only being used at the start of the race saving weight.

heraldsun.com.au/spo…511

thef1times.com/new…906

DRS Zone is going to be extended in Malaysia to 700 metres....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…915
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764322
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32162
      4. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE45

See more discussions